Notices

how to deal with the guilt?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to deal with the guilt?

drinking just to numb yourself from the guilt of your last binge. never have the words "alcohol is a progressive deisese" rang more true to me than right now
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

its all very enlightening
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All been there eye -believe me , life is so much better without it

I drank two bottles of wine every nite for over 15 years - I feel alive now and only 3 weeks in - stay strong :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you rain. I'm trying to stay positive but the scariest part is the feeling of being alone
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Look around the forums here, particularly the Newcomers and Alcoholism ones. You ain't alone! That was one of the greatest revelations to me coming here. We all think we're alone and unique in this. No way! Most everyone here has felt like you are now, myself included. It does get better!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

still have a lot of questions but I'm looking at this as a journey. it seems hard for me to be a youngster and already admit I have some sort of drinking problem. theres a lot of attitudes in society that im just "living it up in my twenties" like im suppose to.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm 23. I first stumbled into an NA meeting at the age of 21. I struggled with this a little bit. I still felt I should be out there enjoying myself and doing what any normal person in their 20's would be doing. However I eventually figured out that if I kept going the way I was I wouldn't have made it past 25 and even that was a very optimistic figure.

It is better for us this way. Get recovery young. I am one of the youngest people in NA in my area but I look a lot older. I shared on my 23rd birthday and people didn't realise how young I was. They said that getting it this early is truly a blessing as the majority of them feel that their 20's and 30's were wrecked by active addiction.

And the guilt. There isn't really any way to completely get rid of this. However there is ways to try and work with it. Perhaps write about your last binge. How you felt and what your emotions were leading up to it, during and after it. Put it all into writing. This should help.

Natom.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

we are the same age, Natom. and I feel the same way about early recovery. I can't keep going the way I'm going
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great advise on how to deal with the guilt Natom
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got one for you guys.....

The only way my years "out there" are anything but a steaming pile of s**t is when I am able to turn them to good use by sharing them in a meeting, and a new guy sits up a little with that look in his eyes. That "omigod, maybe there IS hope" look. Like the look I must've had when I heard someone tell a story about how my life had happened to them too. With all of the lying, disappointing others & myself, stealing, moral decay etc etc etc. But they looked healthy & were smiling.

Seriously, this is my favorite part of being sober. Drunks & junkies respond to real stories from their own kind.