Notices

Appetite-I have none

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Appetite-I have none

Hey all,

So tonight it is! Tonight I wont be drinking. And hopefully it will be the first in many many nights that I do not drink. Alcohol is killing me. It has taken away all of my appetite throughout the day, to where even when i attempt to eat, I feel sick. Does anyone else relate to this? and if so, how long until i get my appetite back? I used to play college baseball, as catcher weighing around 175, but now I'm withering away to where I am probably 145. Please let me know if you know about this.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a lot of calories. If you stop drinking your body will want something in its place. You should get hungry pretty quickly if you lay off the booze. Certainly within a few days. Depends if you have withdrawals.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I had lost my appetite and was eating minimally in the last few months of my drinking. I lost about ten pounds that I didn't need to lose. Fortunately, my appetite returned within a day or two and by the end of a couple of weeks, I was back to normal.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Your body is really confused right now. You have stopped giving it alcohol and are now attempting to eat. You need to allow some time for your body to settle down a bit. I'd just say stock up on multivitamins and try to eat a balanced diet for a while because your body is going to be crying out for nutrients and vitamins.

Natom.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mully - I found soup was ok, or soft foods - jelly and canned veges seemed to go down ok for me...basic pasta was ok too...if you can stand to cook something up.

D
Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am opposite to you, while drinking I was eating greasy crap food during the day, for supper my wife always has a nice meal but then while boozing at night quite often at 11:30 pm I figured it was a good time for a toasted BLT with half pound of bacon on it...ah hell and a can of Campbells soup to go with it.
6 or 7 weeks before quitting I had changed my eating habits and was doing awesome eating three healthy meals a day. Now that I have stopped drinking my appetite is gone and I`m afraid I am going to lose too much weight, I was overweight anyways but when I asked my wife how I look she said I look a little pale and kind of frail.......I hope that is just part of the withdrawl process.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lose my appetite for 3 days in a row sometimes. I'm not nauseous, I'm just not hungry. There's no preparation involved in eating yogurt. You can take care of business in short order and the cleanup afterwards is merely washing out the container, so I make sure I always have yogurt on hand. It's a fairly healthy snack and you can scoff it down pretty quickly and just get the whole eating thing over and done with.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hardly ate at all as well before I quit. I also vomited every morning so yes I lost weight. I found that my appetite came back pretty quickly as I became hydrated. If u have a multi vitamin I'd make it a point to take it and of u can get your hands on vitamin b1 that is also helpful. Btw eating again is awesome!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

If you're drinking a lot every single day, and especially if you drink all day, it's very common to lose some or all of your appetite. Something I read, which I can't seem to find now, said that when your liver metabolizes alcohol, energy is produced in large amounts, so your brain slows down or shuts off your hunger for food. I went three days at a time without eating on more than one occasion as I hit rock bottom. Once your body detoxes (typically 48 to 72 hours), your appetite will come back (and if you're like me, it'll come back with a vengeance).

Have you looked into getting medical help detoxing?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Haha cant wait! Havent really thought about medical detox, I drink at nights only, and I think I can do it on my own, with help from all of you. Usually its a bottle of wine a night, maybe a couple beers after, which I know is still a ton. I just cant wait to wake up completely sober. Even tho I hear you feel hung over even tho you didnt drink. THanks for all the help and comments ppl!!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to drink all day every day...Didn't want to eat as If I ate I struggled to drink as much as I knew I could...I'm a 5'10 male and my weight dropped to 115lbs..I originally quit booze in June and joined a gym and since then my appetite is fantastic,I eat everything in sight and my weight is now 147lbs and I feel great......