Notices

Feeling an Impending Relapse

Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling an Impending Relapse

So, once again my "partner" does not want me to be have rights to the house we are buying together. I've told him if he would like to refrain from putting my name on the title of the home we are paying for then he can pay for it himself. His first excuse was that his knucklehead friend said he shouldn't put my name on the title as we are using my partner's credit to purchase the home (my partner has phenomenal credit). His next excuse is that his family doesn't think of me as family and they won't like it unless we're married. Last I checked, his mother already referred to me as family with or without that little piece of paper. Also, its not like were not getting married, we are just waiting for his mother to recover fully from cancer.

Im coming to realize that this "relationship" I have with my boyfriend needs to end because he makes me feel just terrible and it just doesn't feel like a partnership. There are other various reasons that have caused me to reach this dismal conclusion but ending my relationship isn't so much the purpose of this post. I fear ending it because of all the intense emotions I will feel as a result. Im afraid I will use it as an excuse to drink to cope with my loneliness and depression. That my overwhelming doubt I will experience will cloud my judgement and resolve to no longer live my life with alcohol.

I guess I need to just remind myself Im miserable both with or without him so maybe if I am without him I could possibly find someone I will be happy with.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you realize that the relationship is not working for you. It sounds as if your boyfriend is completely disrespecting you.

And, of course, there will be intense emotion if you end the relationship, but as you said, there will also be hope. Do the right thing for yourself.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Live your best life newhope...you deserve it!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When you sober up you realize relationships for what they are both good and bad. I have found it essiental to hang on to only the ones that move you toward sobriety
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely do the right thing for you and DON'T buy a house with this person. What a huge commitment. I think you can end the relationship and still stay sober. Make sure you are prepared for all of the emotions and have some sort of support. Post here often - get ready for the wave of emotions and get yourself a great big alcohol-free boat to ride about in and weather the storm.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Are you in a program of recovery? I would be most concerned that you are hanging your sobriety on a relationship or on your emotional well-being.
Sobriety doesn't have to be that unstable. Sober people face challenges both big and small everyday without the thought of a drink. I would suggest getting involved in a program of recovery that can get you to that point.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was just going to tell you to have some hope Newhope

The end of a relationship can be pretty exhilarating as well. A chance for a new beginning. You will be so proud of yourself and be stronger for getting through this sober

If for whatever reason you do end up staying together make sure you get legal advice or at least something written down with the house thing. Sounds like he's trying to con you there x