Notices

Sober for 11 days

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for 11 days

Hello,

I have had issues with alcohol since I was in my mid thirties. It was controllable at that time. I quit for several years then I remarried an emotionally abusive man who drinks and smoke marijuana. He insisted I had to work since his job didn't pay much, and he was always around on my payday. I am a nurse. My family doesn't care for him. He is always telling me that I am stupid, a drunk, irresponsible and to get out. It hurt so bad. I turned to alcohol basically to live with him. A few weeks ago, he told me to get out, went on with the name calling, so I left. I could not get into a detox program because I made too much the year before. So, I went to my primary care DR and he prescribed medication to help with the withdrawls. I don't want to drink anymore. I know I am an alcoholic and one drink will put me right back where I was. I am looking alot better. I had put on 20 pounds and it is slowly coming off. I am still having an issue with depression and cry easily. I am also unemployed and looking for work so I have no money. I am lonely and he still contacts me wanting to get back together but when I try to address the issues with him....he turns into Dr Jekyl. I know he is no good for me but I must be codependent. I believe everything he says to me. Anyway, I am holding strong on not drinking. My ex died from complications of alcohol. It terrifies my children when I drink. They are grown but they are afraid of losing their mommy. I like the sober me and I love my kids more than anything.

I have two dogs who are my favorite companions. I do love to read and watch movies. A friend of mine just finished a 15 day program for multiple addictions. She told me that she hated to state in group that she was an addict. She stated, "My pills were prescribed." I pray that someday she will realize addiction is addiction. It doesn't make us less of a person. I am an alcoholic. I would get up, go to the store (if I was not working that day) and buy beer for breakfast. I never drank before or during work but I am sure that eventually I would have.

To quote denzil washington in the movie, "Flight" "I am in jail but I am free."

It is great to meet all of you and I hope I can encourage you as you fight for your life just as I am fighting for mine. :
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR seekingalife. 11 days sober is great. I'm glad to hear that you sought help from your doctor.

I suggest saving this post to read in the future....to remind yourself of why you have to do this.

It's not easy but it's possible and SO worth it. My life is drastically different and better since I got sober. I was also in a codependent relationship so I understand that as well. For me, I think a lot of that stemmed from my insecurities and lack of self-esteem. Most of that got resolved as I worked the steps of AA.

AA is how I did it but it's not a must .... there are many other options to help you through this. Bottom line, you don't have to do this alone and honestly, I don't suggest it.

Have you considered checking out AA meetings in your area?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome seekinglife - congratulations on your 11 days and your positive decisions to change your life

You'll find a lot of support here

D