Notices

Relief...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Relief...

Well I had my first Christmas gathering last night. I am so happy that I was able to maintain not drinking. The next few weeks will be trying at times but I am going to keep a positive attitude and stay close to my HP to keep me strong. I started to question how crazy I am to work on not drinking at this time of year, then realized that if I can make it through this I can make it through any other time. The hardest part will be just saying no when everyone is expecting me to say sure I will have one. Last night was easy since it was not family just some neighbors. Do I come out and say I have stopped drinking or some excuse?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by nabb1 View Post
Do I come out and say I have stopped drinking or some excuse?
That's your call. Most people don't really care if you are drinking or not. A simple "no thanks" will often end it.

If you want to tell your family, you can if you want. There is something to be said for accountability.

There is also something to be said for not telling them, mainly asking yourself, "Am I just not telling them so I can change my mind if I want to?"

As for this whole holiday stuff, I would avoid them all together if at all possible. You don't need the temptation in early recovery.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got through my first Christmas one day at a time. Stayed connected with my support network. Didn't treat any day any different than any other. I'm an alcoholic...I have to remember that...My family and friends that counted knew why I wasn't drinking. It wasn't any secret. I took it easy on the Christmas parties....When Daniel left the lion's den...He didn't go back to get his hat. Good luck and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi nabb - isn't it great when we make it over the hurdles?

My drinking was a problem for many years, so when I quit everyone was relieved. I just told them I had become too dependent on it and needed to stop. All our situations are different, just do what's comfortable - and be kind to yourself.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your situation is anything like mine you probably won't have to. They've known it far longer than me. If I turn down a beer during the holidays, they'll know and be very happy I'm sure.