Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I will do WHATEVER it takes to stay sober and one way i show that is:

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I believe in doing whatever it takes to be and stay sober. How else can I know if it is for me without a sustained period of time sober? After all I gave a drinking life a good ten years. I also believe in willingness, something I didnt have before I quit drinking.

So ... one way I show I will do whatever it takes is: I do not spend ANY time with anyone who works against my sobriety.

Hardly anyone in my life is in "recovery" but they must be supportive of mine (and loving toward me) or I won't be with them. This is an absolute and shows I will do what it takes and that I mean business.

How about you?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am getting much better at seeing things as they are. I've had some surprising support from those I had ruled out of being in my life, and some strange reactions from loved ones.

I guess I'm viewing this journey as a bit of a scientific experiment. I seem to be able to analyse thoughts/behaviours better instead of turning to alcohol for the answers.

All I know is that I've become my own No1 fan and caretaker. If it doesn't add anything positive in my life I let go or walk away or just laugh at the sheer manipulativeness of it all.

Thanks for posting and making me think so hard first thing in the morning lol

S x
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will do whatever it takes to stay sober and one way I show that is by facing each fear as it comes.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think by learning i was able to sit through my cravings , wait them out . The way i figured it was if i could sit through a craving with few distractions i can certainly do it with them . So my first few weeks of sobriety was just spent in bed flicking through the tv learning i could cope however uncomfortable it was .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me it is learning how to deal with the issues of my life I tried to escape by drinking. I drank not to be social or popular, but to get away/numb myself from real problems rather than facing them head on. Still in the early stages of figuring out how, but I know I have to. I really don't have cravings at all, my biggest issue is the anxiety I get when I'm in a stressful situations and would normally take the edge off with a few beers
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

......to have enough humility to ask for help where I need it. This takes many forms:

Going to a meeting
Calling my sponsor
Calling a member who has similar experiences to one I'm going through if my sponsor hasn't
Asking my sister for help with a lab report-I did this earlier today, I know now why psych students almost globally dislike statistics
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I put at least as much time and effort into my recovery each day as I did in my addiction... And that means some days I spend a lot of time working on myself! I used and drank all day some days - now I get a new life but it takes effort.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ditto all above xxxxx
lv to all ,,
cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One way I show that, is to not let my anxiety be the boss of me! I refuse!! This was an unthinkable concept just a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I make time to seek God.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I strengthen my sobriety but taking the best possible care of my animals. When I was drinking my animals got slipshod care and I felt horrible about it. Now I take good care of them and feel great about it, and about myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Coming on SR every single day (except when out on a boat) without fail for the past year. At least twice a day and posting gratitudes. It helps to keep my head in the right spot and away from a pity party which is the near occasion of drink.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will do whatever it takes to stay sober and one way I do that lately is by facing some painful things I have avoided for years.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Well, i'm walking to a meeting right now instead of making dinner for me and the hubby (which is what i really wish i could be doing). I know i'll be happy i made a meeting but the walk there is always a little hard. Is this what the Big Book meant by "trudging the road to happy destiny?" Lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really like your post. I spent plenty of time drinking too, and with no good results. So why not spend a significant amount of time trying something else? I'll tell ya, it's hard, but nothing is as hard as living in the hell that is drinking. That's the point I got to.

ScottFromWI-
"For me it is learning how to deal with the issues of my life I tried to escape by drinking." ** Right on. **
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Taking risks I never even dreampt of when I drank.
Living.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Checking into SR every single day.
Allowing my feelings to exist and pass, no matter how uncomfortable they make me.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will do WHATEVER it takes to stay sober and one way i show that is: I am learning to practise tough love on myself. I'm heading towards 100 days and on Saturday night at dinner out I started to feel sorry for myself about not drinking. I gave myself a mental shake, reminded myself I am an alcoholic and got on with enjoying the meal.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
I believe in doing whatever it takes to be and stay sober. How else can I know if it is for me without a sustained period of time sober? After all I gave a drinking life a good ten years. I also believe in willingness, something I didnt have before I quit drinking.

So ... one way I show I will do whatever it takes is: I do not spend ANY time with anyone who works against my sobriety.

Hardly anyone in my life is in "recovery" but they must be supportive of mine (and loving toward me) or I won't be with them. This is an absolute and shows I will do what it takes and that I mean business.

How about you?

I feel the same way. I have worked WAY to hard on myself and my life to let anyone in who doesnt inspire me, challenge me in a positive way, or is supportive of who I am (this includes my sobriety). Sure, I spend a lot of time on my own, but in all of this, I learned to rely on and trust myself again, which is the best feeling ever. Its not perfect everyday, but I keep my eyes on the big picture that each little day paints, and I strive onward. Thank you for the lovely post!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Checking into SR every single day.
Allowing my feelings to exist and pass, no matter how uncomfortable they make me.
Isnt that HUGE? My feelings aren't nearly as scary as I worried they would be, even when I feel overwhelmed. I am such a sensitive guy, and I feared my whole life that it was a weakness. Now I see it as a strength. I feel things deeply and they shape how I view the world. I finally like that I see, lol, as cheesy as that sounds.

(Cue the ending credits and the inspirational music from the show "Intervention", with a pic of me smiling while staring out at a sunset,lol)