Notices

Nephew

Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nephew

UWhat do I say to 36 y/o nephew who has a 4 y/o and child on the way who is in denial about his drinking problem. Just lost his job due to office party drinking
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hi murf,

Welcome to the forums firstly. No-one call tell you exactly what to say to your nephew. You could sit him down and list all of the consequences that have been caused by his drinking. You could mention all the detrimental effects it will have on his physical and mental health. Or you could mention how it is negatively affecting his child. Whatever you say you can never be sure whether it will get through to him or not.

This forum is going to have a lot of answers for you:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I wish you the best.

Natom.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome Murf. I'm sorry what brought you here but I'm glad you found us.

I don't have any good advice on what to say but I will say, if you become concerned for the children, please do not hesitate to contact authorities. Those kids have to be safe.

You'll find a bunch of support here from folks who have been or are going through similar experience.

Welcome!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Yes, the kids have to come first.

I would highly recommend that you talk to some folks in your shoes. Check out the forum link above and maybe attend an Al Anon meeting and see what they have to offer. I would also say to tread carefully and put a lot of thought into how you want to handle this. If he's in denial, there may be the risk of alienating him if you try an intervention type conversation. I would imagine that getting some input from others who've had to deal with a similar situation would help you figure out how to approach it.

Good luck to you and your family.