Notices

getting through it...

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting through it...

Well, I managed to keep to diet cokes at the christmas party and was very glad of it the following morning!! I suppose this was the first time I had been in such a situation sober and was quite shocked to see how drunk some of my friends were. I kept thinking "that is what I am like when I drink" and got quite down and ashamed by this. I wasn't tempted to drink this weekend but felt really down and angry about the past and the importance that is placed on alcohol by my friends and family. I am 30 days sober... Is it normal to feel a bit down? Thanks for reading. S xx
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My emotions were like a roller coaster and could change on a dime at 30 days (maybe even 60). Got better quickly thereafter though.

I love the diet coke approach. I started trying to eat and drink healthier in sobriety. One of my resolutions was to not buy diet coke or soda of any kind for home. It was to be reserved for special occassions. Consequently, when I go to a party or out for a nice dinner...nothing sounds better than a DIET COKE! I literally want it more than any other beverage. LOL It is fun to have that my special indulgence now is and "evil" diet coke. Much better than whiskey or copius amounts of beer. : )
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's normal to feel down because giving up alcohol is a difficult decision and many of us feel as if we have lost something. I felt down because of the messes I'd made in my life, while drinking and wasn't sure how I could manage to fix things, but I got through it.

It sounds like you're doing well.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

30 days sober - fantastic!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I watched the drunks yesterday. One of my sister in laws mentioned that every family event is based around alcohol.

but they function and have jobs and families....
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support it is much appreciated. I go home for christmas next week and I know there will be a lot of questions regarding my refusal of wine... It wont be easy but i want to stay sober. I hope the blues stay away...
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, this is true of my family!! It is though to say no...
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm only on Day 6 here but have been looking back at all the precious years and relationships wasted because of alcohol (and more recently Xanax) abuse. That makes me feel a little down but gives me hope that I'll live at least another 20 years now that I'm made the decision to stop. Otherwise, I'd be lucky to make it another 5 years.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think i should start putting more of a positive spin on things like you.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

You CAN do this!

It doesn't matter what others think.

Life without drinking is amazingly doable!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on 30 days Susan that is fantastic

For me it took another couple of months too get off the "rollercoaster" of emotions when I quit drinking, as long as you stay committed (which I think you will ) you will be ok. It's healthy to have these kinds of thoughts because it keeps the issue at the front of your mind. I was super energetic and happy and full of life when I first quit because I felt fantastic during the week for the first time in ages but when those first few weeks of elation wore off I felt a little slump too.

I have felt shameful and down about the past occasionally but you can't go back and change anything so don't dwell on it. The best thing to do is just to move forward and make the most of the future.

Stick at it Susan, you will perk up again, it's worth the effort
x
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It sounds totally normal to me..... I think you're doing great! Here you are, at a big milestone (a lot of us felt weird around milestones), you just went to a party where all your friends drank, the holidays are upon us, and you're going home soon for Christmas. That's A LOT!!!!!

Just try to accept whatever emotions come up and don't worry about what you should or shouldn't be feeling. Something that always works when I feel a bit down is to count my blessings - it works great!:ghug3
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Susan - I agree, it sounds normal to me. I was the same way for the first few months. Every day, though, I felt a little brighter and more hopeful. Tiny baby steps. You are doing great - proud of you for sticking to your plan.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days And yes, I believe it's normal....just passed 30 and I have before and it's a common theme for me. Like Anna said we are no dealing with things without alcohol. As I like to think of it, feeling what's been numbed for awhile. Sounds like you are right where you are supposed to be
Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job Susan!!!!