Notices

Need support with my break up with ABF

Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need support with my break up with ABF

I've been with my ABF for 2.5 years now. When I first met him he did drugs, coke and pain killers. I broke up with him because I didn't want anything to do with that. So he started buy suboxone off the street. I had no idea what that was, I do now, but it helped him stop drugs. However, he's a drinker. We use to drink together, but it turned into everyday! Last October, he had a breakdown, uncontrollable tremors and was put in the hospital. He told me it was because he was taking suboxone off the streets. The doctor prescribed him antidepressants, anxiety pills, blood pressure pills, and Suboxon. The doctor told him to go to therapy, he missed all of his appointments. He has no driver license and two DUI's and still drives after he's been drinking. The past few months have been extremely hard because I know there's nothing I can do anymore. He promises he won't drink, then comes home (yes,he lived in my house) red eyed and apparently drunk or on something. He feel asleep with his head on his dinner plate before. I can't babysit him anymore...or his children. I love his kids and will miss them. I kicked him out Friday after our last huge fight. I'm tired of fighting with him. The sad thing is is that I know how he is when he's normal, which is usually in the mornings. He's a good guy. I love him very much. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I'm worried for his health, but he don't seem to care.

I tried sooooo hard to be the best for him, love him and take care of him and his kids.

Sorry this is so long, it's my first post. I started reading this site yesterday. It helped me.

Thanks for your support 😻
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

big hugs to you

you did the right thing

take care of you now

also scroll down to the Family and Friends Forum

glad you found SR!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Sorry you have to go through all of that.
In my opinion and experience, you really can't help him. He needs to change for himself because he want to.
Good news is that you CAN help YOURSELF. Call it what you want but I think your idea of taking time apart is a good thing. Read a little about Alanon if you want to learn more. So many times those around addicts need to help themselves learn how to properly heal.
While there are no guarantees, getting away and healing yourself may also be the best thing for him as he starts to truly see some of the consequences of his actions. We drinkers are often blind to that though which is really sad.

Take care of yourself. It is the best for everyone involved.
Wishing you the best.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You did the right thing.
You would benefit a lot from the Friends and Family forum and AlAnon.
Try an get some rest and take time to heal from this.
Don't listen to words. Actions, meetings of AA or NA, therapy, outpatient program.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I read your wonderful messages and had a happy cry. You're right...I need to let him go. I need to heal and I pray that God will help him and me👼too. I do love him very much, so much I knew I had to let him go. Hugs to all of you!