Notices

Is it just me, but the news is driving me up a wall

Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it just me, but the news is driving me up a wall

I am horrified and saddened by the shootings, completely. But its relentless. Guess I have a power button...
D
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I've been making sure to watch Netflix. It won't be letting up any time soon.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a lot of sadness in the world all the time dear dub....most of us have no power over it.

You are struggling right now so I suggest that you try to avoid sad news if you canx

I suffered from panic attacks for 5 years (unrelated to alcohol) but it was hell...I am fine now though after lots of CBH and support so don't give up hope.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not just you.

It is horrifically sad news and coupled with the fact that we are utterly helpless to make things right, makes it even sadder in my view.

I'm well aware it happened, am saddened by it and very angry. However, I'm choosing not to watch non-stop coverage of the horror.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the media needs to cool down the intense 24 hour a day coverage of 'the second most deadly school shooting incident' (as if they are slightly disappointed it didn't make it to the number one spot???).

The media have a lot to answer for along with those ridiculous gun laws the US tries to defend. Imagine a pissed off loner with nothing to lose, but a legacy to gain a la the Batman Killer, getting ides to try and make it to the number one spot?

Do everyone including your own sanity a favour. Turn off FOX, CNN, ABC...because their coverage is causing more harm than good but THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to turn on the movie channels, i cant watch it anymore. Morgan Freeman had an interesting take on the news, i read it on facebook.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post
I think the media needs to cool down the intense 24 hour a day coverage of 'the second most deadly school shooting incident' (as if they are slightly disappointed it didn't make it to the number one spot???).

The media have a lot to answer for along with those ridiculous gun laws the US tries to defend. Imagine a pissed off loner with nothing to lose, but a legacy to gain a la the Batman Killer, getting ides to try and make it to the number one spot?

Do everyone including your own sanity a favour. Turn off FOX, CNN, ABC...because their coverage is causing more harm than good but THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!
The media only gives the public what they want.

It's a vicious circle.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post

It's a vicious circle.
Agreed, but the only one's who can take action and responsibility for likely damage caused by sensationalist coverage of traumatic issues are the media.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a vicious circle.
The public want to be informed I agree...but without the mega sensationalism and not 24/7
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post
Agreed, but the only one's who can take action and responsibility for likely damage caused by sensationalist coverage of traumatic issues are the media.
...except the media is a for profit entity.

If the people didn't watch it, the media wouldn't produce it.

Vicious circle.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

...except the media is a for profit entity.

If the people didn't watch it, the media wouldn't produce it.

Vicious circle.
If the media didn't put it out there the public couldn't watch it....they do it to earn a living and although we want to know what is going on in the world, they could perhaps handle it better.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh so it is what it is then Xune..

Better not question it then.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Valll View Post
If the media didn't put it out there the public couldn't watch it....they do it to earn a living and although we wanf to know what is going on in the world, they could perhaps handle it better.
The media only puts out what the public will consume.

If the media put out stories the public wasn't interested in, they'd soon be out of business.

The public aren't a bunch of a zombies who are powerless to choose what they watch.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The media only puts out what the public will consume.

If the media put out stories the public wasn't interested in, they'd soon be out of business.

The public aren't a bunch of a zombies who are powerless to choose what they watch.
They watch before they know what they are going to see...the BBC do not go on and on over and over 24/7 about such sad tradgedies
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All cool guys. I respect different political opinions and debates. Thats what makes a democracy I guess. Everyone has a side, thats awesome. I didnt mean to crank this up too much. My fault. Lets all just try hard to be sober. THAT really matters too. I appreciate all of you.
Dub
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's horribly sad and tragic. Thank goodness for streaming Netflix.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't and won't listen to anymore of this tragedy. The ONLY thing I can do is: love more, give more, help more, hug more, smile more, pray more.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel for their families. They can't turn their TV's on either.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Change the channel
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
All cool guys... Lets all just try hard to be sober. THAT really matters too. I appreciate all of you.
Dub
dedubya, you have been on this forum for four years and still haven't quit drinking? Isn't your daughter any inspiration?

I know AA is tedious, but it is usually the only community program available. Get off the internet and go to a meeting.

A year ago, I was hospitalized because I thought the world was going to end in late 2012, specifically "as the Sun unites with the Galactic Heart Center in late-Sagittarius during the next 48 hours" (from today's ***** astrology). There was an article in Nature about colliding galaxies that flipped me out ("The Sagittarius impact as an architect of spirality and outer rings in the Milky Way," Chris W. Purcell et al., Nature 477, 301-303 doi:10.1038/nature10417).

Yeah, the news is scary. One bummer about the world ending was that I might run out of wine. Now, that is no longer a concern.