Notices

Ideas on a nice drink :-)

Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ideas on a nice drink :-)

So the holiday season is just few days away!!

Since sober I been drinking loads of milk - I don't want to be sat there with my family and friends on the big day with a plate full of turkey,paper hat and a glass of milk!!..will be the discussion at future Xmas days for years to come as the first family member to officially loose it !

What does every one do for a lovely NON ALCHOLIC (!) drink treat- something special that is gonna taste ace and not make me look like the local milkman gate crashing a Xmas party!

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Rainyengland!

I've been thinking just about the same)

Though my drinks of choice may be triggers for others, so sorry in advance.

Pomegranate juice with sparkling water and ice, grape juice, mix of other fresh juices - orange+grapefruit (I like it with ice cubes), and the like; non-alco mojito.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Juice with sparkling water and ice - sounds nice!

I'm thinking cranberry juice ..:-)
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Apple cider or juice, Organic Carrot Juice, Lemonade...Fresh squeezed with honey

Happy Holidays to you!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
What does every one do for a lovely NON ALCHOLIC (!) drink treat- something special that is gonna taste ace and not make me look like the local milkman gate crashing a Xmas party!

Thanks!
It's not a beverage, but Starburst candies help me.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since my drink of choice is vodka lime and soda water Im going to continue with that just minus the vodka!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Christmasses past at our place there has been the traditional punch for those not indulging in alcohol or for when others wanted a break in their extended drinking session. There is a huge bowl of it on a side table with a soup ladle. We used pineapple juice, ginger ale and chopped up fruit (eg apple, pear, peach, strawberries) with lots of ice. There were lots of variations on this.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

easy one for me. I love fresh limes in evian water with a little ice, lot of limes. But I never drank liquor (only beer, wine).so might trigger some.
dub
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

I like cranberry juice plain or mixed with sparkling water. There are lots of sparkling fruit juices out there now, too. I also like hot beverages like chai tea and hot cocoa. I make my hot cocoa with pure chocolate and chipotle powder. It's delicious!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Needing drinks to be special has been a trap for me in the past. It can feed the idea that you are missing out, and that this is undeserved.

I now have the view that we should drink when we are thirsty.

Having said that for me it is fruit juice, or sparkling water.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Rainy, I suppose chai tea in a pretty cup and saucer wouldn't look right for a bloke? I go with lemon or lime and soda to keep the calories down.
Also want to go to England for Christmas after seeing your avatar photo. You wouldn't like it here, warm weather and the beach every morning
Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a soda water fan too

Tesco do 4 bottles for £1.50-I buy about 16 bottles a week-the cashier will think I have adrink problem of the non alco variety

Its yummy, mix with any cordial, very refreshing and no sugar like coke or horrible additives like diet drinks have.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi Rainy, I suppose chai tea in a pretty cup and saucer wouldn't look right for a bloke? I go with lemon or lime and soda to keep the calories down.
Also want to go to England for Christmas after seeing your avatar photo. You wouldn't like it here, warm weather and the beach every morning
I don't mind a chai tea :-) ..in a mug..being a bloke I would slurp it out of the saucer otherwise .. ;-)

Sounds dreadfull!..beach , warm weather - if you ever want a house swap for few weeks let me think about it for a milli second..done!! :-)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

With something a bit greasy like roasts i like a fizzey water as it cleanses my pallete .
I have pritty simple tastes though , black tea or coffee or water still or fizzey and thats about it .

Bestwishes , M
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tea. Hot, strong, a dash of milk, no sugar.

Round tea-bags only.

Oh. My. HEAVEN.

Or Dandelion and Burdock.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love San Peligrino sparkling water in the little green glass bottles. They also have them in flavors (orange, lemon, etc.).
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gingerale.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Find a big supermarket and browse through all the juices and soft drinks, not just the ones in the chiller cabinet. You'd be amazed how many there are including many you've never tasted. Stock up and think how much you're saving compared to buying expensive, nasty booze.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I identify with this so much. For a while I was trying all sorts of different root beers- just whatever I could find.

I'm a big Martinelli's sparkling cider fan. Doesn't need a lot of forethought or preparation, although I'm also HUGE on what other people have mentioned-- fruit juices in sparkling water, or San Peligrino's orange or lemon sodas.

Trader Joe's has a great selection of Italian Sodas as well.

Lastly, something I hear in my meetings- "What you think of me is none of my business" has made me comfortable to be a 32 year old man ordering shirley temples in a restaurant. Our eight-year-old selves were right, shirley temples are delicious.

Best of luck with the holidays!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A fresh pot of coffee is always a good thing for me. I try to drink things that don't cost anything and/or won't make me gain weight. Ice cold water is great with any dinner of course. I used to enjoy good wine with good dinner and a whiskey afterwards. I don't miss it or crave it really but there is still a hole there for me to walk around...at least the food really does taste better.