Notices

License suspended

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

License suspended

So I got a letter in the mail from the DMV today regarding my DUI. My license is suspended for 6 months I don't have any other way to get to work besides drive so I am really stressing out. Monday I have to call DMV and hope they will let me apply for the work permit. I have no idea how long this takes. I cried a little today when I got the letter. I didn't get the desire to drink though...a THOUGHT but fleeting and not obsessive. I am truly grateful for that. I keep thinking about how things could have been SO MUCH WORSE. Tomorrow I am planning on posting an ad in the laundry room at my complex to see if someone can drive me to work using my car or theirs. I am surprisingly good right now at accepting only the things I can control. License is suspended. That I can't control. Perhaps get a work permit or find transportation? Actions within my control. I just pray I stay in this frame of mind.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bummer... Hopefully they can give you some kind of to/from work permit...

Years ago when I got my DUI I refused to blow and found out later that is an automatic two year REVOKED license... We have really crappy public transportation here and that was the scariest two years of my life (always looking in the rear view mirror)...

Hopefully it all works out. Hang in there!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share Quit, but I know you'll work something out

D
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

quitforme, so sorry to hear about your predicament. Hope you manage to get to and from work OK. I have never been done for drink/driving but always remember once driving to buy more wine when I was drunk without the lights on in my car. When I sobered up and thought about what I had done the next day, I was so freaked out that I NEVER driven agin while under the influence.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

many places have a ride share program, maybe you could work something out there.

coulda been worse, though, keep that gratitude!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

Hey Bud, I was in the same situation over the summer when I got my DUI. Reading that letter was no easy task. I believe you have to wait about 30 days after receiving that letter before you can apply for the hardship license unfortunately. But, it does get easier! Time heals wounds my friend and I know exactly how your feeling. You talked to a lawyer right? They can walk you through the hardship license with no problem. Hope your day is a little brighter tomorrow, please message me if you have any questions regarding the DUI or just need some moral support. I'm here for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support guys. This was actually my first time ever behind the wheel was intoxicated. As we know, it only takes a minute or one decision to change your life in a big way. Thanks for the idea sugarbear, I will def look into it. Since I will be sitting home all day today I am going to look into all my options. Maybe post an ad to have someone drive me to work, look on craigslist etc. We have no public transportation where I live so that's not going to work. And moving closer is just not an option. I have to weed out everything and hope my logical brain can figure out what works best.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As you said Quit...It could have been so much worse. Be grateful for what didn't happen. Pray on it...Don't pick up...Keep doing the next right thing and it will work itself out. Take care of today.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Might it be possible to rideshare with a coworker, sharing the costs of the commute? Cutting transportation costs in half might appeal to them.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck! You are thinking of options instead of wallowing in self pity. You are accepting what you can't change, and attempting to change what you can. I really appreciate your view on the situation. I have no advice, but thought you should know that
Old 12-16-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are wonderful.
I am impressed. It is those kinds of things that can throw us.
You will find a way.
I have thought about this.
There might be someone who needs a car and can't afford it.
They drive you to work and get the benefit of the car as well.
Maybe a mother or a young person starting out.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a tough situation, but it sounds like you're approaching this the right way. Continue to look at your options and keep thinking positively that things will work out.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good attitude - don't let that go. You will work something out and before you know it the six months will have passed. I got a DUI in October, and never had one before. It was scary (not mentional embarrassing). Here, there is no program that will allow you to drive to work. (I asked.) But we do have a pretty good bus system. Mine is suspended for one year. I already called about insurance - yuck. $$$. And of course there is the mandatory DWI driving program. And lawyer's fees.

I panicked at first, but overall it has been a "blessing" (cliche word , but definitely the appropriate one). I have stopped drinking, I am going to AA, I am seeing a counsellor, my family now knows of my drinking problem and has been very very supportive ... and I am saving oodles of $$ that would otherwise have been spent on booze, and I am saving gas money as well (I take the bus).

Hopefully you will find someone to drive or ride with. Also, this time of year, universities are out .. Do you know a responsible young man/woman who might want to make a few bucks chauffeuring?

Good luck ... This too shall pass!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Buzzed Driving Prevention - Monkey in the Middle :30 - YouTube

this is a different type of Ad I saw this morning.....I hope it helps someone.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How far is your commute? Bicycle maybe?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been through this, you have a great outlook, just stay positive! Shortly this will be a fleeting memory of yours that has no handle on your life whatsoever. I found transportation through friends, parents, people willing to help out. It was amazing who came out of the woodworks. I also tried posting an ad, it's a good idea - just make sure that you meet beforehand and trust them. Do you have a lawyer that can help you with the process? Explain your concerns to them and they should be able to get the ball rolling for your work permit. I know for my DUI my license was suspended for a year, and restricted for another, and I was able to drive after 45 days. Everything will work out! Just have faith that God will get you through this! xoxo
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can you call a cab? Just until you get your license.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...all very good ideas here and I really appreciate it! My commute is 30 minutes long so unfortunately bicycling is not an option. I don't have any co-workers who live near me so that's pretty much out too. BUT, I think I am going to mention this in the rooms and see if someone who doesn't work wants to make some extra cash by taking me to work until I can take myself. I have been positive but the last few hours have been feeling down so I can't take too much credit right now lol I just keep praying that the answer will come as I do the work looking for it and I do keep thinking that one day, this will all be a blip on the map. I have called a few women to see if they could take me to a meeting tonight but haven't heard back from any. Either way, I will stay sober for today and am extremely thankful for that.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Okay, someone is coming to get me for the meeting. Phew
Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Quit, I'm really impressed at how you're handling this. Accepting the situation, learning from the experience, looking for options, and staying sober. Maybe contact the Veterans Association if there's one near you? Might help a Vet and you at the same time...