Notices

ideas needed.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thankyou for all those ideas I'm starting over again today, does anyone think it is possible for me to keep going to the pub with my friends. and still have a shot at sobriety? I now have the support of my closest friend, he kept asking why i wasnt drinking and dismissing all my reasons until I told him that i wanted to see how long i could go without a drink as im worried I'm getting too reliant. I failed and gave in but feel I'm slightly better equipped to try again today.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

kinda like sitting in a hair shop and not getting one's hair cut?

I'd change things up for a little while....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
I was at a party last night, with about 40 people.

A grand total zero people asked me why I drank club soda all night.

Secondly, you don't owe anyone an explanation.
Ditto to that. I had a workmate who didn't drink. When Xmas parties came around, he didn't drink. No one ever asked "why doesn't he drink?" It was a non issue. If someone asks, just say you gave it up for Lent. The conversation will probably move onto something else and it will be no big whoop. That is, unless you've got some 'splainin' to do about past behavior.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think that most of my friends only ask because they want me to admit the truth. They have all expressed concern before, its not like they want me to drink more that they want me to acknowledge that I dont have the control to stop. I cant openly say it yet, iv not even managed one day yet.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lexi, why not stop hanging around with them socially for a while? For an alcoholic who hasn't managed to stop I think you're setting yourself up to fail if you just continue to live your life in your old routines.
Give the pub a miss. You won't be missing out and you've got a lot to gain x
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"does anyone think it is possible for me to keep going to the pub with my friends. and still have a shot at sobriety?"

For me no.too much temptation and association. That's just me though,going to a pub is to go to drink alcohol.Unless its a one off birthday,party etc. Only you know yourself though.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by lexi1991 View Post
Thankyou for all those ideas I'm starting over again today, does anyone think it is possible for me to keep going to the pub with my friends. and still have a shot at sobriety? I now have the support of my closest friend, he kept asking why i wasnt drinking and dismissing all my reasons until I told him that i wanted to see how long i could go without a drink as im worried I'm getting too reliant. I failed and gave in but feel I'm slightly better equipped to try again today.
I think it would be a lot easier for you if you stayed away from the pub and other places and people you drink and associate drinking with. It's hard in the first few days and weeks and you need to give yourself some time to get used to not drinking.

I'm an oxy addict with about 6 weeks clean and I would still be afraid to be around any available oxy. Even with time building up resistance to cravings and my growing desire to not use, I know I would still probably not be able to resist. And that's just a pill/bottle not a whole pub full of my doc and people encouraging me to drink.

Try to make it as easy on yourself as you can. It's great you have your friend's support, maybe you can reach out to AA or a counselor, too.

Take care.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Beacause I'm scared of what will happen if i don't go to the pub.
It's basically all I know, my parents are both heavy drinkers so even before i started drinking pretty much most nights have been spent in the pub. I can't remember anything before the age of 7 and all i know since then is to finish work and go to the pub. Im basically just terrified and would rather sit in a pub shaking and sweating and everything else until i can get and stay sober no matter how many day ones I have to face
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

My main problem is I go to the same pub with the same people every day and none of the excuses iv thought of seem believable to them. I'm really struggling, but its only day one, I cant give in this time I have to see it through. The main reason is tellin them means i have to admit it publicly and also that if i admit that iv admitted to myself that i have a problem it will just prove them right because iv been denying it for ages and i dunno.
Don't go to the pub.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Night owl

It's basically all I know, my parents are both heavy drinkers so even before i started drinking pretty much most nights have been spent in the pub. I can't remember anything before the age of 7 and all i know since then is to finish work and go to the pub. Im basically just terrified and would rather sit in a pub shaking and sweating and everything else until i can get and stay sober no matter how many day ones I have to face
What would happen if you didn't go to the pub?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I feel for you. Why are you scared of not going to the pub. Is someone threatening you. Do you think you can get and stay sober going to the pub every day being surrounded by people who drink? If you think you can then that's ok but for most of us we need to keep away and stay home or do new things. Take care
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm a coke addict and pothead as well as an alcoholic, iv been clean from coke for nearly two years, but as i stopped coke the other two got worse. Im scared if i don't. go to the pub ill end up back where I was with the coke.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

lexi - I understand your situation but you need to change your lifestyle. How about taking up a hobby and/or outside group.

An excuse for not going to the pub every day is that you have neglected things at home after drinking and just taking a break. (true story here!)

What interests do you have? Photography? Sports? Crafting?

I've taken up crafting with shells and find it relaxing, rewarding and keeps my hands busy.

I'm glad you're here talking and keep us posted. :ghug3
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I dunno my entire life has. Pretty much been spent in pubs. I'm just scared to change
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Lexi-

I have found that most non-alkie's don't really care what you drink. But me, with my magnificent magnifying mind, believed that the whole world would come to a sudden halt if I ordered a coke.

The world had a tendency to revolve around me. LOL.
Zube
Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Staying away from bars and drinkers has helped me manage each day tremendously. I really recommend it for you, too. It makes the whole process a lot easier that way, I think.

I have a very close relative who wants to come visit me after Christmas from another state. Normally, I'd love to see him again, but our relationship revolves around drinking - a lot. So...I'm avoiding telling him to come; I think it's best for me not to be around that stuff right now.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Hang out with dogs and you are going to get fleas. Good luck with that. Logo
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camperboy View Post
you are correct, in the big picture they really don`t care.....I remember times asking a friend at some point why they aren`t having a drink but when they have an answer I have basically moved on past really caring.........just simply say "not in the mood"
CB nailed it. People dont really care. I just say I dont want to drink today. It works.
dub
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I wasn't much of a regular bar drinker, though I did that on occasion. It amounted to drinking alone in a crowd I usually felt little connection with. It sounds as if it's a highly social scene for you, and you feel a responsibility to offer reasons to your friends for your changed behavior, a kind of worry and self-generated pressure to do something to stay accepted by the drinkers in a drinking scene.

It's hard to ignore the members here uniformly telling you that continuing to spend time down the pub right now is a poor choice. You might ask yourself why you need not take them seriously.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm a coke addict and pothead as well as an alcoholic, iv been clean from coke for nearly two years, but as i stopped coke the other two got worse. Im scared if i don't. go to the pub ill end up back where I was with the coke.
Lexi, Ive beeen messed on coke, pot. alcohol is my issue now. you dont need that trigger. If they are friends they will respect you. Go to their home if they are friends. Sometimes it makes them feel better if you are participating...not good. Serious. just me. Just say not doing that today, youll find out your friends that really care abt you..
dub