Notices

Those sober for years

Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

very cool post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cariad2013 View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking but why are you still posting here? I do appreciate you sharing your experiences and you kind words of wisdom I'm just trying to understand what will become of me.

Will I have to spend the rest of mylife, waking up everyday thinking of how bad my life was when I was drinking.

I think I would like to overcome this awful time and learn to love life sober and get on with it.

Again, please don't think I'm being rude I'm only on day 3 and my head is going over and over thinking all sort about my future without alcohol.

Thanks
Cari x
Hi Cari, For me it's not just a case of stopping drinking but learning to be content and coping with life sober.

I don't ever want to go back to drinking so working my program of recovery helps me stay safe.

I love posting here and hope that some of my experiences help other newcomers.

I love reading posts as I can reconise some of the potential pitfalls and learn from others with more experience.

Hope this helps and congratualtions on your 3 days. The cloudy head improves. I don't think your rude to ask at all.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Cariad2013;3719557]I hope you don't mind me asking but why are you still posting here? I do appreciate you sharing your experiences and you kind words of wisdom I'm just trying to understand what will become of me.

Will I have to spend the rest of mylife, waking up everyday thinking of how bad my life was when I was drinking.

I think I would like to overcome this awful time and learn to love life sober and get on with it.

Again, please don't think I'm being rude I'm only on day 3 and my head is going over and over thinking all sort about my future without alcohol."

I understand where you are coming from Carl...but, thanks God they do.)
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I hope you don't mind me asking but why are you still posting here? I do appreciate you sharing your experiences and you kind words of wisdom I'm just trying to understand what will become of me.
I post here because it's a win/win relationship. I'm clean and sober three decades now, and so that is helpful to the board as an example. Importantly, *no matter* the longevity of anybody's sobriety, we're all examples of doing it right for ourselves, including even those having just a day of sober freedom.

As for those posting and struggling with active addiction, they too are examples of not giving up, not running away, not fading to grey. Sober or not, we're all seeking a better day in some small way, and this ideal binds us closely.

As well, I truly learn from the many excellently related first-hand experiences of such a diversity of lives, all sharing of themselves openly and with hope of being heard and appreciated for their contributions. Very awesome guys and gals here,

Originally Posted by Cari

Again, please don't think I'm being rude I'm only on day 3 and my head is going over and over thinking all sort about my future without alcohol.

Thanks
Cari x
No, you won't have to think and worry on about your past life before quitting. It's not like that, okay? Freedom from alcohol offers freedom from suffering too. Believe it. Yes, there are stories of those who still experience sorrow in their lives from past drinking experiences, but it is not the rule. Most folks get a real quality of life happening after they quit, and they keep happy moving forward. Those that don't, usually don't suffer to stay sober in such a lousy way, so they simply return to drinking. They often quit again, or want to quit again, sooner or later.

So, really, very few people actually suffer in their sobriety, generally speaking. I doubt you will be any different. For myself, if sobriety didn't give me what I wanted, I wouldn't waste my life trying to pretend it did, I'd just go back to drinking. The truth is though of course, sobriety does give me all I wanted, and much more!

Awesome you're sober, Cari. Great questions! Welcome to SR!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks
Cari x
I got sober in my teens a few decades ago and it's surprising just how quickly the rest of my life has flown by. That's because I'm living life instead getting drunk/stoned or wording where that next drink was coming from. I'm on stores like this because of my work schedule makes it difficult to get to face to face meetings sometimes, and this is a great alternative/supplement.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm not a long timer...But I've been sober for the longest period of time since I was kid. I guess I post here because it gives me a chance to say one thing that could save one person from going through the misery and despair that alcohol brought me. It could be someone that's not even registered here....Just reading...How cool would that be? You have to give it away to keep it. Good luck on your journey!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I stay because I have friends I respect and enjoy, and who say they feel the same. But it is not about me. I am recovered. Don't put the cart before the horse. Stay sober for a year and come back and read your post again and you will see what we do.

You see you have to know where you have been before you can decide on where you are going. If you don't know where you are going, it is very likely you will end up someplace else.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I come here often cause it helps me stay sober with the support of all my friends here. What I mean is, I could stay sober by myself but it would be quite lonely without you all.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I haven't drank in over a decade but I'll always be an alcoholic, and the second I forget that I could be back in trouble. Also if my experience can help just one person It'll all have been worth it.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Because helping other's ROCKS!!! For me it is just human nature to want to help my fellow man whether addiction related or even just to help change a flat tire...

Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For me today was 40 days sober. Since I've joined SR I've visited the forum a few times a day to read posts and I'm truly amazed at helpful those who have remained sober for quite some time really can be. I'm thankful to read their posts as it continues to give me guidance in the direction I wish to go. I wanna be able to say hey guys i don't think about it anymore. I no longer live in the past. Right now I kinda want to because I think it's part of healing and moving forward. And if I help at all even in this early stage, I wanna.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

… why are you still posting here? I think I would like to overcome this awful time and learn to love life sober and get on with it.
Interesting post Cari. I think I understand the question. In other words why haven’t WE “gotten on with it”. For many of us (and certainly me), it comes down to a fundamental change that has taken place IN us. It was not just a matter of “not drinking”. It was a matter of living life differently and that entailed much more than just not drinking.

You may be able to just quit and not look back. If that’s the case, great. If not, then listen to those who have a lot of time sober, and who sound reasonably happy. I think then you will come to understand why we have not “gotten on with it”. “It” just would never be enough! We needed something better.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Really intersting post :-)