Notices

Day 5

Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Had we first good nights sleep in days last night. I slept great for about 7.5 hours! Woke up at 4:30am and stayed awake until 7:00am. I was feeling so good and hopeful. I took 2 Valerian root to try to get some more sleep, which I did but woke up around 9:00am in a total panic. I just took one of the .25mg prescribed Xanax pills. I am still surprised at how horrible the adjustment period is coming down off of Xanax abuse. But this really is a feeling I never want to forget so that I never repeat the mistakes I have made with abusing drugs. Thank you again everyone here for your support. My first thought when I got up at 9:00am was to get on here, seek support and give my own support. Now I understand the meaning of "one day at a time".
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drugssucks View Post
Had we first good nights sleep in days last night. I slept great for about 7.5 hours! Woke up at 4:30am and stayed awake until 7:00am. I was feeling so good and hopeful. I took 2 Valerian root to try to get some more sleep, which I did but woke up around 9:00am in a total panic. I just took one of the .25mg prescribed Xanax pills. I am still surprised at how horrible the adjustment period is coming down off of Xanax abuse. But this really is a feeling I never want to forget so that I never repeat the mistakes I have made with abusing drugs. Thank you again everyone here for your support. My first thought when I got up at 9:00am was to get on here, seek support and give my own support. Now I understand the meaning of "one day at a time".
I am only one day ahead of you but felt the same this morning..........are you kicking the alcohol habit, the Xanax habit or both?......its both for me........small Xanax habit though 6 months and small doses....just curious
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Camper, yes, I'm kicking both the Xanax habit and alcohol. For most of the time, the Xanax was prescribed by my doctor and when I took it as prescribed I had no problems. But when I moved out of state 4 months ago, I got ahold of more Xanax (not from my doctor) and started popping it like candy, 2, 4 sometimes 6mg a day. Then I ran out last week and went into cold turkey withdrawals. It scared me so much that I also thought I should quit alcohol (which I have been abusing as well for the last year. Oh hell, most of my life, but especially this last year) I went to the ER yesterday morning and they prescribed Xanax in small doses to wean myself off them slowly. I don't have a doctor up here so they gave me the name of one and I will call her Monday morning. Seems the trick with Xanax is that you have to step down slowly off it. The doctor told me that Xanax works much in the same way as alcohol, so stopping both suddenly was a double whammy for my body. So for now, small dosages of Xanax as prescribed and only having about 3 ozs of wine a night. Best wishes to you. I know how much of a struggle it is. But I remember days when I didn't feel like this and want those days back.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drugssucks View Post
Camper, yes, I'm kicking both the Xanax habit and alcohol. For most of the time, the Xanax was prescribed by my doctor and when I took it as prescribed I had no problems. But when I moved out of state 4 months ago, I got ahold of more Xanax (not from my doctor) and started popping it like candy, 2, 4 sometimes 6mg a day. Then I ran out last week and went into cold turkey withdrawals. It scared me so much that I also thought I should quit alcohol (which I have been abusing as well for the last year. Oh hell, most of my life, but especially this last year) I went to the ER yesterday morning and they prescribed Xanax in small doses to wean myself off them slowly. I don't have a doctor up here so they gave me the name of one and I will call her Monday morning. Seems the trick with Xanax is that you have to step down slowly off it. The doctor told me that Xanax works much in the same way as alcohol, so stopping both suddenly was a double whammy for my body. So for now, small dosages of Xanax as prescribed and only having about 3 ozs of wine a night. Best wishes to you. I know how much of a struggle it is. But I remember days when I didn't feel like this and want those days back.
Oh wow, you and I are almost in the exact same boat and only one day apart in terms of kicking a habit......seems like your Xanax intake is much higher than mine while my alcohol intake was much higher than yours.......I have stopped alcohol last Sunday all together but still require the .05mg Xanax to attempt at any sleep.........I would have never imagined that substance could take such a hold on a person............whats bugging me is that my doctor just gave me Klonopin to begin to take when my Xanax is gone (which was unprescribed) so I feel like I will be jumping back into another frying pan.
My doctor told me the same as you that the brain sees alcohol and Xanax as basically the same thing so to attempt detoxing from both as the same time won`t work, she was right..........I will work on the booze first and then the Xanax(then Klonopin..............good luck to you