Notices

Seeking Help

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking Help

I am new to the community. I have finally listened to everyone I know and trying to seek counsel for my feelings. I have a mother addicted to alcohol who does not believe she has a problem. I know it's a disease and I try to be very understanding. As time passes on and I grow older I feel like I have reached my breaking point. I do not want to cut off ties with her as that would be difficult seeing as I am living with her; however, I feel like that is the only option I have right now. I have witnessed the power of this disease and have witnessed a very close family friend actually deal successfully with it (going on 2 years sober). I do not feel like my mother will ever seek treatment for her addiction. Therefore I am becoming a part of this community hoping to find others that suffer the same as me and can help me cope.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Have you discussed with her how her behavior has affected you? Your worries, your feelings about her drinking and your feeling toward her? How does she feel about her drinking?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello slantednight ,
I believe there are suport networks about for freinds and families of alcoholics, Al - Anon for instance .
You might also find some useful information in the friends and family's area of the forum here :-

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself, whatever the outcome.

I have a disease/disorder/malady/whatever.
I know that.
Therefore, it is my responsibility to do something about it so that it doesn't adversely affect other people.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your mother knows she has a problem as well. So, who's responsibility is it to deal with?

It's really pretty simple....just not easy.

All the best.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Slanted for letting us know just how much us addicts affect the people that love us. It makes me even more determined to stay clean and sober for my son and husband and friends that love me.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR slantednight.
You'll find a ton of support here

I hope you'll also check out the link Mecanix posted

D