Notices

What happens when you slip?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am curious. Not that I have any intention of slipping, but when you slip and start drinking again, is it easier the next time? Or do you still have the cravings? Is it the same each time you relapse and start over again? Or since you know the drill, is it easier?

The only thing I have to compare quitting drinking to, is when I quit smoking. Oh, by the way, this is the first time I have ever quit. I have been sober since November 17th, so I have almost a month sober.

When I quit smoking, I had terrible cravings for months. When I quit drinking, I had bad cravings for around a week. I had to tell myself that "just for this five minutes, I am not going to drink". It worked for me, and it was not as hard as quitting smoking was.

Now I don't get strong cravings, but I sometimes miss drinking, and think how nice it would be to relax with a glass of wine.

I really want to only have to quit drinking once. But I am preparing myself, just in case, because I see so many people who have relapsed on this forum.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No offence, but it sounds like your addiction is asking the question.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have fell off the waggon quite a few times and it never gets any easier...I went 3 months without a beer,then had a craving that lasted days and I gave in...For me,if anything,relapsing makes it harder....8 days sober today and ain't had no cravings since my last slip,but I bet I get cravings half way through next week....
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Xune, no offense taken. Okay, so my addiction is asking, and your point is what? Am I going to drink? Nope.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I have fell off the waggon quite a few times and it never gets any easier...I went 3 months without a beer,then had a craving that lasted days and I gave in...For me,if anything,relapsing makes it harder....8 days sober today and ain't had no cravings since my last slip,but I bet I get cravings half way through next week....
Thanks Stevie for the honest answer. I hope that I don't have one of those cravings that lasts for days. I am trying to stay away from drinkers right now, I am really afraid of the temptation this early in my sobriety.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think its harder after every relapse.Not necessarily the cravings but the mental impact. For me the first time I quit I had confidence and belief I could do it. After each slip I felt guilt,shame,hatred,anger and fear fear fear. Fear that I just couldn't do it,fear of even trying again,fear of failing again,fear of everything. Each time it took longer before I committed to stopping again

The physical side is harder too-google "alcohol withdrawal kindling"
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My point?

Don't speak to your addictive voice. Acknowledge it is there and then tell it to shut up.

You don't work for the addiction any longer.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My relapse was not exactly a relapse, in that I stopped because I found I was diabetic and had bad liver enzymes after a doctor appointment. I had not had a realization, "Oh I am an alcoholic." It was more like, "Okay, I am fat, now my sugar is high, and liver is fatty. Time to get healthy." That included not drinking from the moment I read the letter. So, after about 4 sober months, my bloodwork was all great i had lost tons of weight. Liver doc said, "Toast in the New Year," when I asked if I could drink ever again, just a little.

So, I made a choice to have some red wine that new Year's eve. Then, I drank at a party in February. Then, on a vacation in April, and slowly, the occasional beer or wine with dh on a weekend, and it escalated.

So, it is only this time, where I truly realize I slide down the slippery slope and cannot stop at 1 or 2 drinks, or keep it to only occasional.

It was easier last time. I was very nervous about my health, and the thought of drinking sickened me. Now, I know it really need to be forever. That makes it a bit harder. This time, I had less "withdrawal" symptoms, but I am healthier overall. I am sure that has something to do with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Each time I started drinking again I found that I drank more. This is my third time quitting and it was pure hell. Recovering from the damage done is slower too. Progressive? yes. Progressively worse.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

read enough on the boards and you will get your answer.

I think the consensus is a resounding no. People seem to really struggle getting another foothold.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IMO, each relapse is harder. At least it has been for me. I'm on Day 16 of my 2nd relapse. I was originally sober for 14 months. Stupidly thought I could just have a few drinks. That relapse lasted 2 months. Went back on the wagon for 3 days and started drinking again. This relapse lasted 6 months and cost me almost everything, including my health. For me, I have finally realized that alcohol will kick my ass every single time.

I think what works is finding a program that works for you and stick with it. Do not let up. It's when I let up that I thought I could handle it. And I couldn't. And I never will be able to handle it. A sober life is so much better than any drink could do for me.

Bottom line is that our addiction wants us dead. Period.

So, I don't recommend even dangling your toe in that toxic water. Keep staying the course & learn from me and others who have faltered, stumbled and clawed our way back to a sober and more rewarding life.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had a very good friend who was sober at least 5 years. He relapsed, and when I saw him in 2003 he was drinking again, worse than before he quit. When I saw in 2006 his drinking had gotten terrible. In November of 2006, he shot himself.

You fall.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It gets harder - very much harder - based on my experience.

You think 'oh it's just one drink or just one night I can start again in the morning'...but that's based on a lie - that we have control.

We have control in recovery because we removed alcohol from our lives.

We can't control our addiction when it's reactivated...we have years of proof about that.

I went out for one night...that lasted 2 and half years.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by SoberFallon View Post
I

I don't recommend even dangling your toe in that toxic water. Keep staying the course & learn from me and others who have faltered, stumbled and clawed our way back to a sober and more rewarding life.
A solid recommendation !!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You will not slip as once you have come to terms with your addiction you will make peace with yourself. (So I believe anyways).

Once you have peace, your life will be so wonderful you will look back it and thank yourself from not sinking.

x namaste
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Junebug, in 2000 I got sober for 6.5 years. Relapsed in September of 2006. I went on a 4.5 year bender that lasted until march of 2011. It was awful, I was drinking so much it was as if I had never even quit. Drinking all day, drinking on the way to work, drinking to black out, it was Much worse than before I got sober the first time.

Thankfully, now I know I will die from alcohol if I ever pick up again. My sobriety is much different this time.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love that almost everyone's answer is the same. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. One more piece of ammunition for me to know that if I ever do relapse, it won't be easier. It will be harder. I just found something to be grateful for; that it has been relatively easy for me to quit drinking. Now to just remember to never take that first glass, to never give into the nagging voice that tells me it is okay to have "just one.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

it's progressive and everything gets progressively worse