Notices

How are the newcomers feeling about the upcoming Holidays?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure he would be too Quinne

D
Old 12-14-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I traded festive holiday drinks for: night walks to see Christmas lights, enjoying what I choose to about the holidays......baking, decorating and gift wrapping, listening to holiday music and reading some holiday themed books. Overall, a very good trade
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

SSIL75
Sober August 2012 and dreading Cristmas ... New Year and camping trip in early January. I really needed to read your post today.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to spending Christmas and New Year sober and with my family.

Why should there be any anxiety about not drinking? I don't understand.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great thread. I too got sober in August of this year and I am having a hard time with the holiday's. I haven't put up our Christmas tree yet because I associate the tree with drinking. I used to sit in the living room at night with the glow of the tree and a bottle (or two) of wine every night from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas night. We are going to put it up this weekend but I still don't want to. It's time to face it and make some new, healthy memories this season.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found this link to be useful for the festive season (it applies even tho it's labelled thanksgiving)

apologies to those who seen it before:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

I think, for most of us, there *is* a lot of anxiety the first Christmas, for what seem to me obvious reasons...

this is a good thread

D
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

For me it has nothing to do with the Holidays it's EVERY day and they all are the same.

This is sad and I know it.Ok going back under my rock now...I'll find the right spot eventually.... sorry to be such a pain.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm with my friend's family this year for Christmas. She is in recovery with me & we are going to start some new festive traditions like making a mulled festive drink and going for a walk after dinner. I liked that someone here posted that they saw the lights. Great idea.

New Year's Eve is about drinking to me so I am seeing the new year in alone, or with my parents if they have no plans.

I'm feeing very good about my sobriety. I am so enjoying the clear headedness, calm stomach, less bloating etc but I know this is not enough to stop me from bring tempted so I need a plan.

Thanks for posting this very useful thread.

S x