Notices

Finally committed to the steps and my recovery

Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally committed to the steps and my recovery

Something clicked in me this morning that told me I have to be fully committed to my recovery if i am going to stay clean. Ive been clean before but I didnt attend meetings or follow the steps. I relapsed a week ago and its really affecting me. When I did it I knew it was wrong but I kept telling myself "Ive been doing well and I havent used so this one time will be fine." I literally talked myself into using. Even tho I knew it was wrong. So, this past week I dreamt that I was using. @ drams of using in one week. Last night I had the 2nd dream and I woke up scared and physically weak from it. I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. After I calmed down my first words were, "I need a meeting." It was quite clear to me at that time that I am powerless over my addiction. I cant just do it one time. I cant reward myself with it. I felt it was a reward because I hadn't used! I need to find other things to reward myself with. So, tonight at the meeting, I spoke up for the 1st time ever. I was nervous, my hands were shaking and I was scared to death! But I did it! I opened up and I now have people that I can talk to. Even tho Ive been clean for 6 days, I received a 24 hour chip....my very 1st chip. I think Ive found my reward=) I am strong, I am committed
I am powerless over my addiction
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Awesome post free2luv26. It made me smile.

I've had very few drinking dreams and was lucky enough not to have them effect me too much but I hear some people say they really freaked them out. Just know that it's pretty common and you can get through anything without using.

Congrats on 6 days!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really good to hear that you are strong and committed.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sounds like a good start f2l26. Way 2 go!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Very cool that you got a chip and spoke out at the meeting - it's not an easy thing to do the first time. You should feel really good about that!

Congrats for recommitting to sobriety, too.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

honesty opens the doors to a new power.....
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome! You sound like you are on the right track. Keep plugging along.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a great post...I shook like a leaf the first time I spoke too. Good for you...It gets easier....Like they say...It works if you work it!...Find a sponsor and get busy!!...and keep coming back!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats! you will feel more a part of the group every time you go, and can get great support & friendships there. we all know how it goes fighting off our DOC alone....
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Most mornings I wake up and say my Third Step prayer (NA) but this is one that I realize, day after day, is JUST as important to my recovery.

Relapse humbled me, and this is all about true humility.

“Dear God, please help set aside anything I think I know
about myself, about my disease, about the Big Book, the
12 Steps, the Program, the Fellowship, the people in the
fellowship, and all spiritual terms, especially you God; so
that I may have an open mind and a new experience with
all these things. Please help me see the Truth. Amen.”

Or, for those who are not AA/12 step or don't use the term God.

Set Aside Prayer

Today I set aside

everything I think I know

about myself,others, addiction,

recovery, and the future;

for an open mind

and a new experience

with myself, others,

my recovery, and the future.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

All of us have had those dreams, they are free experiences in my book. Congratulations on your decision to choose sobriety.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by free2luv26 View Post
Something clicked in me this morning that told me I have to be fully committed to my recovery if i am going to stay clean. Ive been clean before but I didnt attend meetings or follow the steps. I relapsed a week ago and its really affecting me. When I did it I knew it was wrong but I kept telling myself "Ive been doing well and I havent used so this one time will be fine." I literally talked myself into using. Even tho I knew it was wrong. So, this past week I dreamt that I was using. @ drams of using in one week. Last night I had the 2nd dream and I woke up scared and physically weak from it. I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. After I calmed down my first words were, "I need a meeting." It was quite clear to me at that time that I am powerless over my addiction. I cant just do it one time. I cant reward myself with it. I felt it was a reward because I hadn't used! I need to find other things to reward myself with. So, tonight at the meeting, I spoke up for the 1st time ever. I was nervous, my hands were shaking and I was scared to death! But I did it! I opened up and I now have people that I can talk to. Even tho Ive been clean for 6 days, I received a 24 hour chip....my very 1st chip. I think Ive found my reward=) I am strong, I am committed
I am powerless over my addiction
Great !! Having a trusted sponsor and oldtimers to follow is priceless. The dreams will fade as time goes by.

i sat next to a fellow last Tuesday evening who was celebrating 33 yrs. If you want to know how to be sober/clean/sane/serene just as him..... he just did it and was happy to tell his experiences.

All the best.

Bob R