Notices

Golfers and booze

Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Golfers and booze

Australian pro golfer Peter Senior (53 years old) just won the Australian Open. When asked how he celebrated he said he doesn't drink alcohol and enjoyed a nice dinner with family and went to bed. He whipped ass on alot of great golfers to win that championship!

Pro golfers used to be one of the heaviest groups of drinkers but it seems like alot of them are sobering up and playing great well past "middle age". That's one of my reasons to quit, so that I can play golf again.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I only played putt putt
golf but enjoy watching it on tv. In fact I got
hooked on watching it after I got sober 22 yrs.
ago. I found out that a group of men that
attended my AA meetings played on the side
for fun.

As time goes on, you will hear how many have
tried to stop drinking for various reasons. Some
have become very sucessful in ending their roller
coaster ride with their addiction and live a happy
life in recovery.

For me, staying sober for this and that may or
may not work. I learned that a life of recovery
has to be for me and no one or nothing else.

Do it for yourself and not for golf. Golf will become
an awesome gift in recovery enjoyed, treasured,
appreciated and become grateful for, for yrs to come.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I've worked in a lot of bars/restaurants and groups of golfers were always the biggest drinkers (and tippers yay!) My dad golfed and it usually involved drinking. I wonder if, way back when, golf became popular because of the drinking afterwards and the tradition just stuck? lol

I'm glad the pros are starting to change the image and I'm glad you're going to be able to enjoy the game again.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My drinking is what caused me to gain around 50 lbs and this probably messed up my back, the heavier I get the worse my back feels. Can't play golf with a bad back, alot of people have quit the game because of that. Hopefully I'll be able to lose the weight, heal up my back and get back on the links. It's only one reason of many to quit drinking, but an important one. I'm definitely doing it for me.

Have you tried real golf yet? Putt Putt is fun but once you try the real thing you might get hooked.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I've worked in a lot of bars/restaurants and groups of golfers were always the biggest drinkers (and tippers yay!) My dad golfed and it usually involved drinking. I wonder if, way back when, golf became popular because of the drinking afterwards and the tradition just stuck? lol

I'm glad the pros are starting to change the image and I'm glad you're going to be able to enjoy the game again.
Probably not true, but I heard the reason the Scots decided on 18 holes was that a bottle of whiskey had 18 shots in it, one shot for each tee box. Must have been big shots. So yeah, golf has had a long tradition of drinking, before, during and after the round. But I think that is changing.