Notices

This is probably a gross and unnecessary post!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is probably a gross and unnecessary post!

This is a somewhat repulsive post, really, so I sort of apologise but I’d like to know what others think.
When I was boozing myself daft, I frequently had bowel issues like bloating, constipation and “the trots” as my mother would say.
Two weeks off the sauce and I am yet to have any such bother. I’m quite underweight and am losing weight without all the empty alcohol calories, so I’ve been eating allot more than feels natural which I would expect to cause me some digestive upset, but no!
I imagine processing all that poison (plus the strange hangover/drunk foods) was a terrible strain on my digestion. I also think that the anxiety, stress and depression caused by my alcohol abuse had some baring on my lavatorial habits!
Anyway, has anyone else noticed this benefit, or am I alone here?!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yeah indeed. It wasn't until I stopped drinking that some interior stability was
achieved in my GI system. I think most of my life I thought I had IBS or some other malady, when in fact it was just alcohol tearing it up.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You are not alone. My movements were liquid all the time. I ate maybe every third day. So gross.

Those that do not extol the virtues of a good solid bowel movement just haven't experienced the absence of one. That, or they just don't talk openly about poop. Either way...our bodies work correctly when we treat them right.

It feels so good not to poison myself...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are a ton of physical and mental ailments that disappear. When we stop poisoning ourselves with chemical that changes our brain chemistry and wreaks havoc on our bodies we start feeling better. To most of us this is amazing which only shows how much power our addictions had over us
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, booze definitely gives me "the trots" and all that stuff. The GI hates alcohol.

Here's another gross story my uncle told me about when he was in the US Navy. Him and some crewmates were on shoreleave with their CPO (I think) who was a heavy, heavy drinker for years. At a bar he ordered a bottle of whiskey for himself and the barmaid asked him if he could handle it and not get sick. He said, "Lady, I haven't had a solid bowel movement in years." It got a big laugh but he was honest.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haha thanks guys! I also thought I MUST have IBS ... it worried me terribly. Now everything is spot on!

I'm quitting smoking soon (prob. January), which I have done it the past whilst drinking. Previously when I quit smoking I drank allot more and I had terrible GI issues. However I'm now hopeful that those GI issues had allot to do with the drinking, rather than stopping smoking. I really hope I'm right!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by SoberRo
I'm quitting smoking soon (prob. January),
Ro...I just quit smoking about 5 months ago. If you feel good now...just wait! It's amazing to be free of it all. Ran my first 5k last week. That would have been an impossibility before. I'm excited for you!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Yes it's wonderful to lay out a big healthy log instead of having perpetual runnies and skid marks. There I said it.

I was living on beer and very little food. Thankfully not any more.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Ro...I just quit smoking about 5 months ago. If you feel good now...just wait! It's amazing to be free of it all. Ran my first 5k last week. That would have been an impossibility before. I'm excited for you!
I'm so glad to hear this! I'm actually really worried about quitting smoking. I've read numerous journal articles and research papers and have decided to quit during the first half of my menstrual cycle (sorry guys!) because this is found to ease withdrawal symptoms. So I'm just waiting for that, really.

Also I'm very worried because I have exams mid January and I don;t want to be suffering with the inability to concentrate, which is listed as a temporary side-effect of stopping smoking.

If you have any tips for me, I;d be ever so grateful! It sounds like you're doing amazingly well. Posts like yours really do inspire me

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have not had that benefit yet.

Maybe I really do have IBS? LOL. Or maybe it takes more than 3 weeks. But, I also had a cold virus during that time.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
Yes it's wonderful to lay out a big healthy log instead of having perpetual runnies and skid marks. There I said it.

I was living on beer and very little food. Thankfully not any more.
Well, frankly that's what I'm talking about!!

The first couple of days I was constipated though. Probably dehydration ... now I'm running like a well greased machine, hahahah x
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I have not had that benefit yet.

Maybe I really do have IBS? LOL. Or maybe it takes more than 3 weeks. But, I also had a cold virus during that time.
A virus will knacker your digestive system, it plays a big role in immunity and the immune response

Wait and see ... you'll be admiring your own dumplings in no time.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Or perhaps it was the big pot of Kale soup I made last week, lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, a normal poop is good.

Mine were not normal before.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

the health benefits of quitting drinking are never ending.

we all know about the dangers of drinking. but it's impossible to quantify the amount of damage we do to ourselves by drinking.

not having alcohol in your system will have a profound effect on your well being. combine that with improved eating habits and regular exercise.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SoberRo - I quit smoking about 10 months ago. For the first two weeks I felt like death. After that I felt much better but the urge to smoke still to this date hits me about 40 times a day. Also after qutiing smoking I had GI probelms. I used to be very regular. I have not been since quitting but all in all the benfits absolutely outweigh the discomfort and negatives.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcohol and the digestive system / gastrointestinal tract

Alcohol and GI Tract
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gotta luv a good poop discussion, hehe. But you are so right. Toward the end (two years ago) of my long drinking career, if I wasn't throwing up, it was coming out the other end, several times a day - and a lovely color it was too. And then again this fall (brief relapse), same thing ... Sorry, TMI ... No, wait, this is a poop thread!

Sure demonstrates how our bodies deal with the cr@p we poison them with.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ha ha, I had to laugh, I knew you were from the U.k when you said 'the trots,' that is one of my Mums phrases!

But yes I can relate, the unmentionables are much more normal now thank you!

Alcohol is a poison and the liver works extremely hard to get rid of it first before it starts processing food, that's why it's empty calories. Can't believe I was so stupid to be poisoning myself!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey, we say the trots over here too...(at least in NJ). Alcohol inflames your system. You should also notice a drastic reduction in heartburn and the acid feeling in your stomach. Oatmeal and fresh fruit, lower fats, lots of liquids.