Notices

This is probably a gross and unnecessary post!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had awful heartburn when I drank wine.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BalinChane View Post
In my recovery I'm reading a lot about the effects of alcohol on the body from a science prospective.. The more I read the more I realize how I was killing myself!!

Thanks for posting the thread.. I can relate to everyone's comments.. This is just one more reason I will not drink today!!

I hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If I'm ever constipated, a few puffs of tobacco loosens the bowels straightaway. The combo of smoking and drinking has given me chocolate squirts for months on end. Or, I have been known to not eat for days and have no bowel movements at all.

I ate some curried Indian dish once and--coupled with the beer--the fart that I expected in bed turned out to be more than that. Embarrassing. The last thing I wanted to do in the middle of the night was clean it up, but I did.

If anyone wants a stroll down memory lane, check this. Viv Stantiall mentions an excretory incident at the beginning.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I always have digestive issues when drinking gallons of Scotch. Every morning, guaranteed numerous trips to the bathroom. It's because alcohol messes with your digestive system being able to absorb water (and nutrients). I read that somewhere. So now that I'm on my way to sobriety I also hope these issues go away.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

O.M.G Renaldo, that's gross lmao and can't stop. Isn't if wierd how we're all attracted to anything to do with bodily functions ha ha. Oh and some of the smells!
Forgot about the terrible heartburn, I don't miss that.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

curry and beer is a recipe for disaster. I lived in India for a year and didn't drink. Still I could count the times I had a solid bowel movement on one hand. I was so sick the first two weeks adjusting to the foreign flora that I was considering suicide. I was spewing from every orifice, crawling to the loo, dry heaving - the whole nine yards.

I met someone at a concert who had a similar experience. He was staying at a guest house in India and confided in the owner his thoughts of suicide. The owner said, "well, you shouldn't do it, but if you do, you should tie a rock to you and jump in the Ganges. That way you will go to Vishnu."
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was a pale, sickly, bloated sack of crap with glassy lifeless eyes.

Glad that's over.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hahahah.....all I can say is 'AWESOME" I could go on for hours about this but I havn`t had a solid shite in years..........and mister when I had to go, I HAD to go...there was no "okay I will wait til I find the next washroom"....oooh no, I had to invent one.....whether is a bush, behind a building, in a shed at a local home renovation store....when it was time to go it was NOW!........been through every test in the world for it and of course its diagnosed as IBS, Agreed with the poster above where along with booze steady there is the late night garbage food that goes with it........Just six weeks ago while still drinking (I just quit this past Sunday) I started weight watchers, not a diet but a system of learning how to eat properly in every way...no drugs, no premade foods in their name.....just guidlines on how to balance food with excersize in a proper manner.......Since that I have lost 15.4 pounds and since Sunday I have had a couple of bowel movements that I would only have seen and been envious of in the can of some restaraunt that someone left behind............I was so proud I had to take a picture with my Blackberry and send to my wife...........needless to say she didn`t share my enthousiasm nut I didn`t care...........I was proud.....so yeah, with me time will tell but booze sure beat the crap, er , um I should say beat the squirts outta me.........thanks for starting this thread,,,,,,its awesome
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post

Glad that's over.
You're being awfully hard on yourself. Anyway, I'm glad that phase of your life is over. Your tagline with the Dawkins quote resonates with me. I've tried the HP (Higher Power) stuff, but it doesn't work for me. Seems more like H.R. Pufnstuf. The creators of that kids show must have been puffing something to come up with something so whacked out.

The HP concept seems like trying to grasp dissipating smoke in the air for me. I'm tired of trying it.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
I'm so glad to hear this! I'm actually really worried about quitting smoking. I've read numerous journal articles and research papers and have decided to quit during the first half of my menstrual cycle (sorry guys!) because this is found to ease withdrawal symptoms. So I'm just waiting for that, really.

Also I'm very worried because I have exams mid January and I don;t want to be suffering with the inability to concentrate, which is listed as a temporary side-effect of stopping smoking.

If you have any tips for me, I;d be ever so grateful! It sounds like you're doing amazingly well. Posts like yours really do inspire me

I was a pack a day my for 25 or 30 years......quit 3 years ago and will never look back........you have to want to quit and trying that while in the midst of a time where you need to really concentrate is not the time to quit cigarettes...quit when you have two or three weeks of down time cause after the 2nd week the cravings get less and less......I will never smoke again...it owned me.
replace a smoke with a glass of water, your body will reward you really quick
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

As opposed to Intelligent Design, I think of Indifferent Design. Why do chickens have wings when they can't fly?

I don't mean to disrupt this thread. You are all welcome to resume discussing gastro-intestinal concerns. If a moderator would like to pull this, that's OK.

Talk of digestive disorders does lead to other topics.

I've got a friend who has had irritable bowel syndrome his whole adult life. He only drinks once every couple of weeks, but he internalizes his stress and is always having some sort of stomach problems. Bear claws and donuts is his downfall. He volunteers for the Sheriff's dept. 'Nuff said.

"Bad cop, no donut!" That's a statement I've seen on a bumper sticker.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! And making me smile. I've had colitis and GI issues for years. I KNOW that alcohol makes it worse. So does dairy. ;-)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago. I tried a change of diet, acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, herbal teas, everything to help the pain I was going through. The symptoms have greatly lessened since I quit drinking a couple of weeks ago and my bathroom experiences have been fantastic. I bet that it will just get better and better with time. Thanks for this thread!!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

When I moderated then quit alcohol I went through a period of heavy gym workouts (deadlifts and squats) and eating lots of healthy proteins and cereals and veggies. The lifting built up core and abdominal muscles of steel and every morning on the clock I pushed out ballast like a purpose built machine. Made a great change from previous movements.

At the time my daughter was having bowel issues and the Dr sent her home with a table showing diagrams of about 12 different stool samples. Mine was rights in the healthy range.

Soberlicious u are right about the benefits. Several times my boy has been moping around, lethargic, off his food and I thought he has been sick. Then he disappears for 10 minuntes and returns, cart wheeling across the floor, happy as the proverbial pig, and eating everything in sight.

I am then drawn by smell into the toilet where it appears someone has drowned a kangaroo in the toilet and its tail is still sticking out. I think he feels so light and airy that he bounds out, forgetting to flush the toilet. We are working on that.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
This is a somewhat repulsive post, really, so I sort of apologise but I’d like to know what others think.
When I was boozing myself daft, I frequently had bowel issues like bloating, constipation and “the trots” as my mother would say.
Two weeks off the sauce and I am yet to have any such bother. I’m quite underweight and am losing weight without all the empty alcohol calories, so I’ve been eating allot more than feels natural which I would expect to cause me some digestive upset, but no!
I imagine processing all that poison (plus the strange hangover/drunk foods) was a terrible strain on my digestion. I also think that the anxiety, stress and depression caused by my alcohol abuse had some baring on my lavatorial habits!
Anyway, has anyone else noticed this benefit, or am I alone here?!
Needless to say, my digestive system was not at all working properly when I was drinking. Fatty foods (mostly takeout because I was too drunk to cook) along with excessive boozing is definitely not what our bodies were made to handle.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by Xune View Post

Glad that's over.
Meee too!!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I love any talk about poop. And farts. Call it my childish sense of humor.

I developed GI issues about 4 or 5 years ago. It became horrid in 2011 when my alcohol consumption was through the roof. There were needles, testing, medications, etc. and nothing helped. It was diagnosed at the catch-all "IBS".
Always been a small gal but at its worst I weighed 82 lbs. Nothing would stay in my system. When it reached this point I just stopped eating and just drank. Suffice it to say, this only made matters worse.

Now at 15 days sober I congratulate myself on every solid poop. It's also delightful to eat a meal without severe pain.

Ah....just one of the perks of being sober.

Last edited by Huglets; 12-13-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This is a great thread. I'm laughing so hard I almost pooo....oh, nevermind...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
Yes it's wonderful to lay out a big healthy log instead of having perpetual runnies and skid marks. There I said it.
I'm absolutely roflmao here! :rotfxko

Edit: now that I've read this poop thread in it's entirely, (although I almost peed myself in the process laughing so hard) I can proudly say that I am on a regular schedule after almost two weeks sober.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Nigey, too funny! I have a nearly 9yo boy, and he is similar. he flushes now, but I always remarked, "How can such a big thing come out to such a tiny child?!" He has always had pretty near perfect poops. He has always eaten quite well, especially loads of fresh fruits, but also good veg and yogurt at least once a day.

Too bad we cannot post links. There was a very funny youtube going 'round facebook last week, for those liking fart and poop chuckles. Google " 'the barrier' fart video, youtube."