Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you know if you just need to cut back or stop altogether?

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I am a brand newbie looking for help. I have to say this is the most help I have found so far online.

I am 32 and have been drinking since I was 17. Mostly just heavily on the weekends. In the last 4 years I have started drinking approx 5 nights a week. Midweek around 3 glasses of wine, weekends probably a bottle. Wine helps me cope. We have 4 young children and our own business. I suffer from anxiety and get stressed easily and just find that a couple of glasses of wine just helps relax me. Lately I can't stop at 2 though and have to have a third and am worried this will just get worse.

About 2 years ago I stopped drinking during the week and only on weekends but this was before we had our 4th child and started our own business and I ended up back to where I am now. I don't know if I need to get professional help or if help from people here will help. Do I need to stop all together

Thank you for taking the time to help

X
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michelle - welcome

I'll be straight with you...Most of us here have tried cutting back and found that we couldn't.

For most of us abstinence is the definitely the way forward.

If you're tried to cut back, but keep finding yourself back at the same point in your drinking, I think you need to look at that, honestly.

It might be that cutting back isn't viable for you either?

D
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome michelle!

You're very wise to be asking yourself these questions. I was in my early thirties, too (with small children), when my drinking became a way to cope (also a way to sleep, entertain myself, etc.). I was drinking 3-5 per most nights as well.

We often don't know we have a problem until we try to cut down or stop. That was the case for me.... my drinking seemed to just increase over time even as I tried harder and harder to control it. Alcohol creates depression and anxiety which, in turn, just perpetuates the cycle.

I'm glad you're here.... most of us need help/support to stop. Alcohol addiction can affect anyone and there's no shame in reaching out for help.:ghug3
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I tried cutting back, it didn't work. So I quit.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome michelle! You've found a wonderful place - glad you joined us.

It's a concern that you can't stop at a couple when you've intended to. That's one of the signs of trouble ahead. Keep reading and posting - I know you'll find some answers and a lot of help.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

if you cannot cut back forever you need to quit forever
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Even if it was possible for me to cut back.

I would be able to stand it. It would be a terrible existance, I would be worring about how much I had, or could have , or did have , or when I can have...

I whole thought process would involve the next drink..

Oh wait I already lived like that for decades.,, No thanks I like just being free.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I started off drinking like you (quantity was)...trying to relax and stave off after-work anxiety.

Your need/tolerance will go up. I'm pretty sure you'll start drinking more in quantity and frequency. It sneaks up on you. By the time I realized I had an issue it was three to four times a week -- two bottles of wine (at least) each time. It did not start off like this. Try quitting drinking entirely for a few months. If it is hard, dependency has set in.

Best to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, it is truly appreciated. Just the thought of giving up totally is daunting, it's like ending a close relationship...there's a lot to be said just there.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Artsoul - what did you do to help you with the stress?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've decided to give myself until the New Year to try and gain control of my drinking, drinking 2 drinks at a time weekends only...if that fails I will need to quit forever.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And also get help to learn of new ways to cope with stress
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelleb1 View Post
Just the thought of giving up totally is daunting, it's like ending a close relationship...there's a lot to be said just there.
Glad you are here.... Your quote above does speak volumes. I, like you, was a nightly wine drinker (2-3 glasses), and on nights I didn't have it I was counting the days until I could get another bottle. If I cut back for a while I found myself binge drinking when I would start back up. I struggled for years, but in the end I hated the control "it" had over me and my thoughts processes. Giving it up isn't easy and you will go through times of sadness about it, but it's worth it.

Keep reading and researching ...

We are all here for you!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One thing I noticed since I stopped drinking is I don't get as stressed, but that is a good question. What do people do about stress?

Also, I think I drank about as much as you do. I found out I definitely was addicted when I stopped drinking. I had strong cravings. I don't think cutting down would have worked for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"It" really does control you doesn't it. Thank you Sisterella. These comments are really helping me see that I probably can't control it
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WOW thats an eye opener June, the fact you drank half as much as I do and you realise you had a problem. I'm going to have to completley change my life. Everyone in my life drinks.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry read that wrong.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hiya Michelle...

For me, cutting back was a total bummer compared to just stopping altogether. Soooo much more stress in cutting back (probably because it never worked for too long, then the guilt, and hangovers, and trouble, etc....)

Cutting back was EXHAUSTING!

Good luck to you, M!
Zube
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Michelle! You sound like most of us. We wish we could just be "normal" drinkers and control it, but most of us can't and as it's a progressive addiction the consequences get bigger along with the need. It's a bummer.

Good news is you may find it easier to stop entirely than to try to bargain with yourself "I'll just have a couple on weekends, or special occasions, or if I'm really stressed..." which often turns into your self not keeping the bargain in my experience. I found the stress and anxiety went way down when I stopped. I guess the drinking was making me more stressed not less stressed.

I didn't find it fun to have just 2 drinks-what's the point? I drank to get the high. 2 was just a tease and very unsatisfying. I am still overwhelmed with the idea of forever and I'm just about 5 months sober. I told myself "not today, maybe tomorrow". It gave me a choice and didn't seem so final. I haven't slipped up, and rely heavily on SR for inspiration. You can do this!!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Michelle
I also have a young family ( 8 and 11) and I work full-time. I am married, my husband is a loving father who was my drinking partner. My drinking progressively got heavier and heavier. I drank to relax, I drank to sleep, I drank to celebrate success and get rid of stress.

I am 42 and was drinking every night and most weekends mostly cask wine and champagne.

I tried to cut down ... I tried low alcohol wine (to make sure I could still provide the family taxi service).. all this meant was I drank late at night when everybody went to sleep .... I was always tired and grumpy the next morning and STRESSED.

It has taken me nearly 12 months to get to the point of being 4 months sober. It hasnt been easy but the more sober time the less STRESSED I am at home and work. I actually have reasonable looking fingernails for the first time in my adult memory

To deal with the stress of being a working mum (without alcohol) I had to start finding time to do some sort of regular exercise ... setting small goals and working towards them. Walking each morning and afternoon was my first outlet ... then I upped the anti abit and got involved in more physical activity .. till I got injured (which set me back a bit)... but I am looking forward to working these goals again in the near future...

I also found I was hungry all the time due to the reduced sugar in my diet ..... I ate what ever I wanted in the early phases of recovery .... I still lost weight ... I never had a sweet tooth when I drank .. I do have now

Christmas is looming for me as my family drinks ... socially and professionally my sobriety will continue to be challenged continually...

I did the AVRT crash course , stick close to SR forums during the day and during my usual drinking times live on SR chat when feasible.

The idea of giving up for ever is daunting .... like losing a best friend ...

So Just for today ... when I go home I turn on the kettle and don't make a bee-line for the fridge because I know there is my husbands alcohol in there that I use to share with him. I have a quick check in on SR chat and then I open the fridge and have a cool juice, followed by a slurp of one of my numerous cups of herbal tea. Then I commence Mums Taxi service and my day continues .... sober
Cheers
Jodie