Notices

The road ahead

Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The road ahead

Today is my first day of a new chapter: sobriety. I'm turning 40 on in a few weeks and Christmas/ New Year's Eve is just around the corner. It was hard to commit just before the holidays, but here I am.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Wonderful. Do you have a plan for your recovery?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. No time like the present to quit. I've been here two holidays. This will be my third. I've seen a lot of folks say they are going to quit AFTER the holidays and never do. They put it off and the chance they had, slips away.

That said, holidays are tough. How do you plan to handle all the alcohol related events and all-around stress that comes with Christmas and New Years?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, pheona. This is a wonderful place filled with great suggestions and encouragement. I know you're going to find it so helpful as you start your journey. Congratulations on deciding to start this new chapter.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words. I am going to an AA meeting this evening, that's my big plan for getting through the holidays and beyond.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The meeting will help you a lot---as they do for me...you will find a welcoming group of people who share their willingness to help with you. Get through the holidays one day at a time...you can do it! Congratz!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pheona123 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I am going to an AA meeting this evening, that's my big plan for getting through the holidays and beyond.
That's how I got through my first Christmas....I stayed close to people like me. Not a bad plan.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Pheona
I quit just before I turned 40 too - best thing I ever did

you'll find a lot of support here
D
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome Pheona! Stick with us here at SR and stick with the people in those meetings.

It's worked for me these past 96 days.

I agree with the others, no time like the present to get sober. You'll have a nice headstart on the new year!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will feel great walking into the New Year with a nice chunk of time sober.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just got back from my 1st AA meeting. People were very nice and supportive. I'm looking forward to the next one tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and great you have a plan
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today is day 12. I have been to 9 AA meetings since my sobriety date, and I highly recommend it to anyone out there who is attempting to quit.
Yesterday I found that a good friend was badly Burned and is in the hospital, I bounced a bunch of checks because they came out of the wrong account and that my grandmother fell and broke her pelvic bone in 3 places and is in the hospital.
These are all reasons to have a glass of wine (or 6). But... I didn't. Today instead of feeling foggy, guilty and hungover, I feel grounded and centered. I know my old friend Sauvingnon Blanc is full of false promises.
Tonight I am venturing out for my first holiday party. I hope it is a positive experience. I would be lying if I didn't mention that I still crave a drink, but feel stronger than my addiction.
One last thing, for anyone out there who is reading this who wants to quit and thinks they just can't, I'm here to tell you that you can. A week before I quit, I had no plans to, but when it is time, it is time. Give it a try, name it out loud and move forward. For me, saying that I want to get off this ride and I can't seem to do it alone was the first step in taking back my power. Alcohol doesn't want you to shed light on it's hold over you. It thrives on secrecy. As soon as I stopped protecting my addiction, I was able to climb out of the hole and get my head above water long enough to see things clearly. You can to. Give it a try you might surprise yourself, I did.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on 12 days. That's awesome. Like the twelve days of Christmas.

Originally Posted by pheona123 View Post
Tonight I am venturing out for my first holiday party. I hope it is a positive experience. I would be lying if I didn't mention that I still crave a drink, but feel stronger than my addiction.
I hope you aren't putting yourself in a risky postion. Less than two week sober is pretty early to be around drinking, especially the holidays and the pressure to be festive.

However, if you are determined to go, have a strategy for dealing with the temptations and have an exit plan.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good that you are pursuing a new path. It's especially great to come through the holidays with our sobriety intact, my first one felt like a bad storm I'd weathered and survived and I felt great about that. Chances are you will too.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days.. It's great you have a plan and you sound good!!! Stay strong!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Pheonia, You sound good. Typically I would be concerned about someone going out to a party with less than 2 weeks sober. After reading your post I not overly worried. Something tells me you are in a very good place for only having 12 days. If you stay the course I believe your recovery is going to be amazing! Stay well.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My husband is supporting me and not drinking as well. This is a small gathering of a few good friends, so I'm feeling strong. I want to see how it feels. I also have a cold so if I freak out, we have an excuse. We are having my husband's parents and his aunt and uncle over for Christmas dinner and I have already told them we won't be serving wine/beer. They were fine with it. The big one for me is going to be my 40th on Jan 5th. Still not sure how I'll handle that one.