Notices

Feeling worse since quitting

Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling worse since quitting

I need some advice here. I'm on day 12 of no alcohol/cigarettes/caffeine. The only one I'm really missing is the cigarettes. I've quit them for several years so I know I can do it, but my head is trying to say otherwise. I've even dreamed about it. Heh.

I really thought I'd physically be feeling great once I quit all these, but I'm not. I work an afternoon to midnight shift at work, then come home and eat something and watch tv. I don't usually fall asleep until 4am and then (broken) sleep until noon. I wake up groggy, achy, sore... not refreshed and rested. Then I get ready for work...repeat day in and out.

I've been drinking water, eating fruits and veggies, but no meat. No exercise happening. No housework. Nothing fun or fulfilling. Not motivated to do anything except go to work because I must. Sometimes I feel like I accomplished more before I stopped everything, but I know that's the addiction talking.

Any advice on how to get out of this rut? It's making me miserable.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most oldtimers in this area advise to quit those vices one at a time.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Possible yes, extremelly difficult yes. I am actually hitting phase 2 tomorow after Alcohol for about a month now. I did one month of both last summer. Problem is that if your foundation for first addiction is not strong, both will crumble on you on relapse.

Give yourself time to feel strong before attacking second.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you are ready to stop smoking, look up sites that will help you like CEASE. It's also scientifically proven that using the Nicotine patch or Nicotine gum is very helpful. Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My first thought is that 12 days is still early. Lots of ups and down. My second thought is you are triple-whammied with withdrawals from three things. My third thought is what you are feeling has nothing to do with quitting. Maybe your drinking has been masking an underlying depression.

Have to thought about seeing your doctor?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I went through the same thing and it seems to come and go. One week I'll be weak with exhaustion and the next I'll have double energy and get tons done. I've learned to just go with the flow as much as possible. Lots of naps one week and lots of catching up the next. It took a long time for us to get our bodies to this state, and it takes awhile for them to heal. I did feel better with exercise, but lately I'm too unmotivated to even think about it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I kinda feel like since I've made it this far, that I should just keep going. At this point, it's mental, not physical...
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Most oldtimers in this area advise to quit those vices one at a time.

All the best.

Bob R
Ineed one thing at a time. Dont overwhelm yourself..
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
My first thought is that 12 days is still early. Lots of ups and down. My second thought is you are triple-whammied with withdrawals from three things. My third thought is what you are feeling has nothing to do with quitting. Maybe your drinking has been masking an underlying depression.

Have to thought about seeing your doctor?
I have no doubt that there is underlying depression. This is something I have struggled with for years. It may be time to see a dr again.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi raining - sorry to hear your not doing so good

Given up alcohol and cigs is going to be really tough at the same time - I smoke and know for sure there is no way I could go through that - the booze alone withdrawal is bad enough

I'm planning to stop smoking 01\01 and will be about 5 weeks plus sober then

I admire your grit my fellow rainy - think now you come this far would be daft to stop !

Try and get some exercise in - whether it's walking a pet,getting out on a bike or a nice simple walk - it clears the head and also gives you a feel good boost

Keep strong :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't give up! I agree, you've already gotten this far. It's still very early but you should start to feel better soon.
Treat yourself good, let unimportant things slide.

I'm impressed with your determination. You're a recovery Rockstar!
I quit alcohol in Dec, tried cigs, 7 wks in, couldn't do it then, finally quit cigs in April.
I don't think about either anymore.
Stay strong & keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
Don't give up! I agree, you've already gotten this far. It's still very early but you should start to feel better soon.
Treat yourself good, let unimportant things slide.

I'm impressed with your determination. You're a recovery Rockstar!
I quit alcohol in Dec, tried cigs, 7 wks in, couldn't do it then, finally quit cigs in April.
I don't think about either anymore.
Stay strong & keep us posted!
Thank you so much. I can't wait until I don't think about any of it anymore, either.

I'm just going to keep on keeping on...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an inspiration!
I gave up smoking almost 6 weeks ago - it does get easier - honest!
I think that you are frequently told that you will feel so much better once you have given up, but for me it was the opposite - tired, tearful and depressed.
Anyway, I'm now tackling the alcohol (day 1), so I expect to start a similar rollercoaster.
Hang in there - you have come so far - imagine how you would feel if you gave in now.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you using a method of recovery such as AA, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Life Ring, AVRT or SMART? They can help you.

And physically, your entire body is still healing and will do so for several months. You didn't get here in one night, you don't recover physically in 12 days.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you are no longer eating meat, how are you getting your protein?

I'm thinking you might want to add some extra protein and carbs into your diet....and maybe a cup of coffee in the AM. one cup might help you feel better, unless you have HTN issues and were advised to cut out the caffeine.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oops, I quit drinking in Jan, not Dec. See I don't keep track now

Drinking was my worst addiction, so I didn't want anything to jeopardize quitting that.
Your body & mind probably don't know what to do right now. Depression is normal in early recovery, dopamine receptors, etc.

I read Never Take Another Puff by Joel Spitzer. Fabulous read. You can download it free online.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you on your days sober --- and without smoking and caffeine! That's a lot of quitting. Not that it cannot be done, just very hard, I would think. I did not smoke, so cannot address that and drink a couple of cups of coffee, so not that either. On the alcohol issue, for me the energy was zapped in the extreme for a long time, more than a couple of months. No question I had more energy drinking than I did the first 3 to 4 months sober. If you read a little about what alcohol does to the brain's neurotransmitters, it makes sense that it takes the body time to start the production of healthy amounts of stimulants for happy feelings, energy, etc. it takes time, but it does happen. Best to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Are you using a method of recovery such as AA, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Life Ring, AVRT or SMART? They can help you.

And physically, your entire body is still healing and will do so for several months. You didn't get here in one night, you don't recover physically in 12 days.
Years ago I read RR. My library doesn't carry it, so I've been reading stuff on here about it. When I have thoughts I just tell myself it's the addiction talking and try to forget about it. I might eventually rethink the caffeine as it's actually not an issue for me... people in the south love our sweet tea and I miss it!

Time goes so fast when using and so slow when recovering, it seems. I'm so ready to be living a better life.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
If you are no longer eating meat, how are you getting your protein?

I'm thinking you might want to add some extra protein and carbs into your diet....and maybe a cup of coffee in the AM. one cup might help you feel better, unless you have HTN issues and were advised to cut out the caffeine.
I get protein with milk, cheese, beans, hummus, etc. I should say though that I usually eat meat, but have dabbled in vegetarianism and have periods of going back and forth.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Raining
sorry you feel down.

I think a lot of people expect that life will be sunshine and lollipops once they quit their drug of choice...it certainly wasn't that way for me.

I'd drunk for many years and it was central to my life - there was a really tough period of readjustment to follow....I also rediscovered the depression I used to self medicate about.

Whatever else you want to cut out is your business.

I also cut a lot of things out - I think a lot of us really want a fresh start....but I went overboard with that - just like I did with alcohol

I stuck to the no smoking line, but I did ease back on the strict dietary plan I had - my body and mind were already pretty battered from years of addiction.

Like I say your call - but I do encourage you to weigh up whether you're doing yourself good or not, Raining

D