Notices

Feeling worse since quitting

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My goodness quit all of those things at the same time I am surprized you can type? To be an unhappy camper at 12 days I would say is the good news because you have not been committed to the loony bin.

Give it some time and things will slowly but surely get better.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

don't know if this is much comfort, but as others have said... quitting all these things at once is kind of supposed to be hard.

the important thing is to know that you are feeling all these negative emotions because you are healing.

like an injury, which hurts the most at first, your body and mind is going through the recovery process and you are in an early stage... but things will stabilize and get better for sure.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can't add anything more to what has beed said so far, only I am SO impressed!! You have done so very well so far.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
totfit

Originally Posted by RainingInMyHead View Post
No exercise happening. No housework. Nothing fun or fulfilling. Not motivated to do anything except go to work because I must.
These things don't just happen. Make them happen and things will change. Don't make them happen and you will likely go back to what you were doing or just be miserable. If you go back to what you were doing the misery is pretty much guaranteed though.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi! I haven't read the other comments because I'm on my crappy phone and it would literally take all night!

However I have experience of quitting booze (only 13 days into it) and fags (did about three months, but relapsed - now smoking my arse off). Not drinking will make you feel physically better in a matter of days, by may leave you mentally exhausted. Not smoking however can take much, much longer. Acetycholine receptors have been up-regulated to manage all that lovely nicotine, and they take about a month to get back to normal. Furthermore, the numerous bodily processes speeded-up by smoking, are the ones you are really going to notice, e.g. digestive and cardiovascular systems. Similarly, caffeine withdrawal will slow metabolic rate, slowing your system further.

The good side is that you WILL return to normal, after a while.
The bad side is that there are too many variables for anyone to tell you when that time will be.

On a personal note, I have decided to make a slower transition towards good health. I completely understand your all-or-nothing approach; the desire to be free of all addictions. But have you considered focussing your efforts on one addiction at a time? You've done fantastically, and I'm certainly not hoping to encourage you to bust out a pack of smokes and make a pot of coffee, but I know for myself that I'd rather have three small arguments with my addictions than an all-out war!

Also I'd like to say that you have made too many changes (diet, smokes, drink) to make any real link between your symptoms and the changes you have made. If you have low iron from exclusively ingesting non-heam iron, that could make you tired, but so could not drinking caffeine or smoking.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Raining . Congratulations on your major lifestyle overhaul. Right now it's probably ok to not be super motivated and kind of blah/flat. Do you eat any fish or dairy? I haven't eaten any meat for about 15+ years but I do eat fish. I'll eat eggs in baked stuff or a scramble once or twice a month.

One thing I have noticed regarding the feeling achy and stuff--sometimes if I lay around too much my body does start hurting. Don't know how old you are but maybe you have some aches because of inactivity? Also, be nice to yourself! Are you taking care of you? Of your surroundings? I know, for me, when I get in a bad spot I will neglect things like the housework and laundry and looking my best. But I understand! Sometimes just staying sober & getting to work is enough. Energy does ebb & flow & this time of year sure can be a blood sucker. Best wishes to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Raining-I just read the whole thread and I see you do eat dairy so never mind my question!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know that traditionally it is said a person should quit one addiction at a time, but there are newer studies that suggest it's a good idea to go ahead and quit both at the same time. Drinking and smoking are so inter-related that the thought is that quitting smoking actually helps in maintaining sobriety. Also, since a person is going to go through withdrawal anyway, why not just get it over with and save yourself another withdrawal episode in the future.

Plenty of people have quit smoking and drinking at the same time, so I know it's doable. I would not discourage you in any way in your endeavor; in fact, I admire your efforts.

Twelve days - this is still all very new to you. Give it more time. And it may continue to drag on for some time, but I assure you it will get better and it will be well worth your effort.

My only caution to you is this: If you are unable to quit smoking (you said cigarettes are the hardest for you) please, please don't start thinking you might as well drink, too. Although you are quitting both at the same time, they really are different issues and can be dealt with individually.

Best of luck to you moving forward!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You have certainly made some changes in 12 days!!! I am sorry you are feeling a little down, walking always makes me feel better, it might be a good transition back to exercise and help you to clear your head a little.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tonight I have been on the web most of this evening. Had some laughs, some posts were boring sure. Sometimes things are boring. And an evening or morning or noon of anxiety anddiscomfort is better?

You are doing fine, relax. We normally should not fell dehydrated. We are good at doing that to ourselves. Have a good morning and I hope you have anappetite when you wake up. So many delicious possibilitiesbananas, bacon, even a snikers bar!

Or orange juice or V8..you know what I mean. Water all and NO appetite =boring
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Excuse my poor spelling Raininginmyhead. I type my opinions and thoughts fast. Take a walk. Simply take an hour walk. Oh, and take a bottle of oj, water, or energy drink of your choice. Not just for now, for whenever you fell like. Even a tall glass of milk sounds good now.

Beer/hard liquor eliminates the appetite for delicious food. Fact.