SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I Quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/277289-i-quit.html)

natsfan 12-11-2012 10:27 PM

I Quit

I've been drinking HARD for the past 4 or 5 years.

I had bought a ring for my ex, everyone of my friends thought we'd be together forever, but we broke up about 3 weeks before I could propose at the end of my Junior year.

I took it in stride and had a good last year of college, graduated with a 3.5+ GPA and met plenty of nice women after the harsh break-up.

I graduated in May 09'... Came back home, expecting to get the 50K+ job I had before I went off to school, not the case. Since then it's been nothing but interview after interview where I hear nothing back or get rejected on the spot.

So, here I am, a guy that bought himself a decent car (08' Accord Coupe) when he graduated, had the whole world in front of him... But, absolutely NOTHING has gone my way since. Why should I stop drinking when I have nothing to look forward to?

Moral of the story, I went away to college, paid 100K to do it, to better myself only to come back home with no job.

natsfan 12-11-2012 10:35 PM

I want to quit drinking, but why should I?

LaVallette 12-11-2012 10:38 PM

Could it be your drinking that is preventing you from being successful in those interviews?

SavingSelf 12-11-2012 10:40 PM

Why should anyone really? Not to sound glib about it but we aren't promised anything in sobriety other than being sober. My hope is that by being sober I will be better able to cope with whatever life happens to throw my way.

If you want to quit there are lots of different support options to help you with that goal. Keep reading and posting. :)

Wastinglife 12-11-2012 10:41 PM

Well Natsfan,
Take solace in the fact that you are not alone out there. I think the vast majority of recent graduates feel the same way. My sister is still 150k in debt from student loans after completing a masters degree 4 years ago. She is a receptionist by day, bartender by night and she's wondering the same thing. The alcohol will make things much more miserable and sap any motivation you have left. The economy is bad now, but it's a cycle and in a few years when things improve, you don't want to have an alcohol problem when jobs do open up.

natsfan 12-11-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 3714478)
Well Natsfan,
Take solace in the fact that you are not alone out there. I think the vast majority of recent graduates feel the same way. My sister is still 150k in debt from student loans after completing a masters degree 4 years ago. She is a receptionist by day, bartender by night and she's wondering the same thing. The alcohol will make things much more miserable and sap any motivation you have left. The economy is bad now, but it's a cycle and in a few years when things improve, you don't want to have an alcohol problem when jobs do open up.

I know many graduates that are out there can't find work. How will alcohol make me less miserable, if it's the only way I can deal? I know the economy is cyclical, I minored in Economics. I'd much rather drink until the job market opens up instead of being optimistic that it'll ever open up again.

natsfan 12-11-2012 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by LaVallette (Post 3714475)
Could it be your drinking that is preventing you from being successful in those interviews?

Once I know they want a phone interview, I schedule for at least 2 days later. In person interviews follow 3 or 4 days after. That mean's I haven't drank for 7 days, so no, drinking does not factor in.

Dee74 12-11-2012 11:19 PM

Hi natsfan :)
Noone here can convince you stop if you don't want to.

By the same token, noone with no alcohol issues at all just happens to find SR, or wants to quit.

is there an unspoken part of the story here? :dunno:

D