Notices

well, day 2 has proved unsuccessful...

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well, day 2 has proved unsuccessful...

I could make lots of excuses....I'm good at that.
It took longer than usual to get my kids settled for the night.
What I will say, is I finished my last final for the semester, and drank a glass of red wine while doing it. Then I had some unfinished Ebay shopping to do as a reward for finishing my classes (with two A's and one B). And finally coming here while I finished my second glass...
On a positive note? Two glasses is better than my average of 4 (or whole bottle basically). And I will go to bed when I am done here, so I won't continue on....
Negative? The elephant in the room...I am still drinking, didn't make it past two nights.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It might be easier if there were no alcohol in the house if you want to stop completely. But I am not sure if your goal is abstinence/sobriety?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SAD, try again tomorrow - you can do it! And yes, get rid of all the alcohol in the house.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Savingself has a good point.

Don't beat yourself up, SAD3. Dump the rest of the wine out & lose the rest AND Start NOW!

You can do this
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You drank wine while taking your final? How does that work?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my current situation...I don't see "no alcohol" in the house until after the holidays. My goal, if you can call it a goal, is to suggest to my husband that we get back on a healthy kick and start it with no drinking.....he will actually be an easy sell on that because he can take it or leave it for the most part. Right now he is enjoying wine, rum, and some beer until he is ready to start training again after the first of the year....
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Choublak-Bachelor courses are online and so I am able to take exams online...didn't do bad on the final (91%), so no complaints there....just can't seem to put the damn wine glass down. For good. yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went 7 weeks in the summer with alcohol in the house. Then drank at a wedding and waited 2 weeks and then got drunk at home by myself with the same alcohol that had been there for 9 weeks. 6 days later I did it again. That was 46 days ago (I guess 47 now) For now I am not keeping alcohol in the house. We did have guests on Fri. and I served them wine. On Sun. I took the unopened bottle to my in-laws as I just don't need it here anymore.

I wish you strength with your goals. It took me way too long and a crazy life situation to really, really get that I am an alcoholic (no matter how much I ran or cycled or how well I performed "most" of the time). I am 40 now. Keep on posting and hang in there.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can ONLY have 2 glasses, pour the rest out.

I know what it is like to drink because of achievements or social expectations.

You sound very intelligent... you will make the right decision... think of the twinkles in your eyes.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is so crazy, is our friends always laugh at us and say we are the "dry" house....there never seems to be "booze" at the ready. And here's why.....I'm methodical in my consumption and in some weird way attempting to be a responsible parent. I buy what I consume in a short time. We/I never buy more than what we might drink in an evening (1-2 bottles of wine) or in a weekend (a fifth of vodka or rum). I strategically do this with this thought in mind: 1) our teenage daughter does not have access to a liquer cabinent in our home, we simply don't keep liquer on hand. 2) if I buy just 1 or 2 bottles of wine, there is no way to over indulge or get intoxicated (as long as my husband is participating). 3) since I really only go overboard at night (or on event/special occassions like my Christmas party), my cover is good...no one is here to witness....ugh.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been there. "Concealment" is not facing we have a problem. I used to buy a bottle or 2 wine on my way home from or before hubby got home and hide the bottles. He always knew.

Focus on another craving as it seems as though boredom and routine sets in. I understand that too.

Be strong inside and convince yourself you are poisoning yourself on so many levels.

Originally Posted by SAD3 View Post
What is so crazy, is our friends always laugh at us and say we are the "dry" house....there never seems to be "booze" at the ready. And here's why.....I'm methodical in my consumption and in some weird way attempting to be a responsible parent. I buy what I consume in a short time. We/I never buy more than what we might drink in an evening (1-2 bottles of wine) or in a weekend (a fifth of vodka or rum). I strategically do this with this thought in mind: 1) our teenage daughter does not have access to a liquer cabinent in our home, we simply don't keep liquer on hand. 2) if I buy just 1 or 2 bottles of wine, there is no way to over indulge or get intoxicated (as long as my husband is participating). 3) since I really only go overboard at night (or on event/special occassions like my Christmas party), my cover is good...no one is here to witness....ugh.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SAD3 View Post
That isn't crazy--that is what people who know they have a problem do. I did something like that the last year I was drinking too. It was better for me to buy a 6 pack or bottle of wine or two than it was for me to buy more than that. One, it limited what I could drink in any given night. And two, it made me work at having to buy more to get drunk again. If I bought a case of beer it (the last year anyway) meant I was for sure getting drunk back to back nights---and that was something i used to pride myself on not doing (to prove my non-alcoholic status).
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Back Again

Stay Strong.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by ElleElle View Post
I have been there. "Concealment" is not facing we have a problem. I used to buy a bottle or 2 wine on my way home from or before hubby got home and hide the bottles. He always knew.

Focus on another craving as it seems as though boredom and routine sets in. I understand that too.

Be strong inside and convince yourself you are poisoning yourself on so many levels.
Me also, waiting till my hangover had gone enough so that I could drive to get my day's supply, sneak it in and hide.

The freedom I feel now from not having to do this is wonderful and also being honest with my husband from the very start of my recovery. The weight on my shoulders has gone, I have actually stopped stooping and there are no more lies. Every day was a lie for me, in fact I have decades of lying about my addictions. It is the most liberating feeling in the world Sad3 to not be a prisoner any longer to alcohol.