Notices

Day 2

Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi, so I have been grappling with my drinking for over 10 years now. I just wish I could be a social drinker and stop when my body tells me I have had enough. But more often than not, I hurdle the fine line of being happy drunk to black out, angry drunk.
I HATE that I am constantly worrying about my drinking, the hardest time for me is leaving work and the thought of no wine in my fridge gets me edgy so of course I stop at the bottle shop.

I have countless regrets in my life all of which have stemmed from my drinking. I am a smart chick, I can think logically 90% of the time. I can stop drinking for days, sometimes even months (well to be honest I have only stopped drinking for 2-3 months on 2 occasions in the last 10 years). I have tried the low carb/ low alcohol wine and while it would be fine for weeks, I inadvertantly end up back to my old horrid ways. I am a completely different person after 2 bottles of wine, full of anger (no doubt at myself for getting plastered).

I am 33 and living in Australia where the drinking culture is massive. It's really scary to say/think I can't ever have one drop of alcohol again given it is a way of life here.

I am trying hypnotherapy to help me change bad habits. Fingers crossed it works. Has anyone tried hypnotherapy to help in their recovery? I would love to hear any feedback on it.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome D104

I drank for 20 years or more - I knew I needed to quit for maybe 15 of those years....but I was unwilling to change my life...and so I kept getting sucked back in.

Support was really important for me in not only finding the courage to make those changes and to help them stick - I know you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hard work, support and commitment are needed.

I don't know how effective crossed fingers and hypno therapy is.

Welcome.

You are not alone.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi D104,

I have never tried hypnotherapy but come from a province in Canada where drinking is like religion. I love booze and it has certainly shagged things up for me in the past. Still, I haven't been able to put together a decent shot at sobriety in my past 20 years.

With Christmas coming up (i.e. "the drinking season") it looks like it will be 2013 before I try again. I certainly understand what you mean by trying to kick when every soul around you is knocking a few back.

Good luck,
T
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks T. As bad as this sounds, it's nice to know there are others feeling the same as I do. I am stressing about the festive season also. Have even told myself not to get upset if I do have a drink as I probably will and self loathing only makes everything worse. What I REALLY DONT want to do is drink far too much to the point where I black out.
I am really hopeful that this hypnotherapy along with my own committment will allow me to dramatically cut down my drinking even to the point where I just don't want any booze.
It does feel somewhat liberating getting my confession and thoughts out into cyber space.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, and made it through day 2.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard.

I know getting sober not only saved my life at 39 but gave me one to live for..!!!!

Australia where the drinking culture is massive
Drinking culture is massive anywhere you go in the world..
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another Australian here. Yes, it's hard to be a non drinker in this culture, people think you are strange if you don't indulge in alcohol and binge drinking seems to be applauded. The attitude really does need to change.
We all need to be exceptions to the rule and not drink. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For the "festive" season, i'm going to stick to cranberry juice & soda or eggnog with coffee. I will focus for the moment and thank myself for not getting drunk and feeling like crap physically and mentally. It will nice to wake up feeling refreshed and everyone else is hungover.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi D104 - I'm like you, Aussie female, and used to either having a bottle of wine in the fridge, otherwise the car would automatically pull into the bottle shop on the way home from work. I tried hypnotherapy and I can honestly say it had zero effect on my drinking. In fact I went home afterward and finished off a half bottle right afterwards. The therapist was rubbish, and I'm not an ideal subject so it might be different for you. I think he went wrong by suggesting that if I didn't stop I would end up sleeping rough, drinking meths etc. which was never my fear. I was worried about health problems, weight gain, dependency, spending too much. So make sure your hypnotherapist knows why you want to quit before you start. Funny thing though, while 'under' I decided to think about relaxing better when I run, and that worked perfectly!
It took me a while to work up to quitting, and was finally motivated by helping my DIL to stop smoking. I thought I shouldn't preach unless I could give up something myself. I spoke to my doctor about it, and he prescribed Campral but I they had no effect and annoying side-effects. All I really needed was motivation.
To deal with the cravings, I walked for a while after work, bought a freshly made juice, practiced deep breathing (very effective when acute craving hits), had some nice diet soft drinks in the fridge, substituted sweet treats, and didn't let myself get to hungry. This gets you through the cravings stage, and after a while they weaken.
Hope this has been some help. I'd be interested to hear how your hypnotherapy goes.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 as well (although I see you posted on the 11th, it's the 13th). I'm also worried about the holidays. It seems there's ALWAYS another event coming up where there will be tons of drinking involved so let's try to stay strong together, huh? One of my best friends quit New Years day, I think she's been sober for coming up on 8 years and is happier than I've ever seen her. And quite frankly she's so much more fun to be around. All of these other epole are doing it, we can too, right?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am also on day 2 and also from Australia! I totally know what you mean about the social norm with drinking. But like you the feelings of guilt/stress you feel are not normal. Good luck. X
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've started getting very angry when drunk too and I'm 29 now it most be something that happens to some people in the late 20's early 30's I never used to get angry when younger. One of the big reasons I want to quit.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok - so Hypnotherapy has not miraculously curbed my desire for the vino. Similar to you FeelingGreat I had a bottle immediately after my first session. But it wasn't all bad, in the 2 sessions I have been to I have learnt some techniques on how to give myself positive affirmations. So that is a plus!

I received the Allen Carr book in the mail the other day, plan on reading that over the next week or so, and I told my boyfriend last night that I have a drinking problem which was a relief to finally say the words. Although he seems to think I only have a problem with wine, not all alcohol. It is a really scary thought to say I will NEVER drink again especially when he likes to take a drive on the weekends and stop at a nice pub for a 'cold one'. Don't get me wrong, he would support me if I said I am never drinking again, he doesn't have an addictive personality like myself so he can take it or leave it. He is just trying to say that I stress far too much and what I think is a massive problem, is really only a minor one (if that makes sense). But as I type this I know his words of encouragement aren't really encouraging me, more so enabling me.

My plan is to drink in moderation for December (NO BLACK OUTS OR SKITZO TENDENCIES - this is how I KNOW I have a problem) and come 1 January start my epic journey of sobriety. I'm copping out here I know, but I also know that if I tell myself I won't drink over Xmas, but then I do, I will beat up on myself and end up drinking for another year or 10.
This site is exceptionally inspirational and reading posts that I swear were written by me or about me gives me comfort, knowing that I am not alone in this journey, nor unique with my problems.
Good luck to all and merry Christmas
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

D104 - I believe we have to be ready. I knew for years that I needed to stop, and made many half-hearted attempts that never lasted. I hope when January comes, and you feel ready to make this big change in your life, you'll be back - and let us help you get started on your journey.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi D, your boyfriend might be talking in the social sense about your drinking, but from a health POV you're way over the guidelines. I don't know if you caught the television campaign about alcohol where a professor said it was a Class 1 carcinogen like smoking? That scared me because I knew of 2 people who were heavy drinkers who died of oesophageal cancer. I also asked my doctor to describe me in 10 years time if I kept drinking at my current rate. He emphasised weight problems and cognitive decline.
This process was just build up to me taking the decision to stop, which took a few weeks more. At one time it seemed unthinkable to stop, then I crossed the line which made it doable.
The brilliant bit is waking up the next morning clear headed, well, proud of yourself and with no regrets.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I really want to cross that line like you did FG. And I am sure I will because the alternative is not an option. It is liberating getting these thoughts out of my mind and into black and white.
I know my AV is still very prevalent at the moment so I am wanting to slowly beat it to a pulp over the next couple of weeks. That's where my positive affirmations are slowly coming in handy. Already I have justified it in my mind that I need to get some groceries from the shop so I will also swing by the bottlo. It is the start of the weekend right. AV is having a field day right about now, but part of me is thinking 'you have 2 weeks sonnyjim and then your done'.
I haven't felt this confident about my quit date ever I don't think.
I also think that if I tell anyone and everyone of my quit date then it is set in stone.
And I haven't even opened the Allen Carr book yet... So I am setting myself up for success here I think.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

HI D104

Another female Aussie here (NSW) ..... I am 42 and I am 4 months sober. I reckon I can safely say I realised I had a drinking problem at least 8 years ago.

I took me nearly 12 months to get this sober time .... I had to make changes to my lifestyle during this time. Rehab etc were not options for me I had a full-time job and a family to run.

I am not looking forward to the temptations of the silly season. But I am trying not to think about them too much and tackling them one at a time. I have avoided any I could and left functions early.

I look forward to hearing about your journey. Goodluck with your quitting date.

Hang close with SR
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

<-- another Aussie..and husband just walked in door from work with a case of beer. Sigh. Day 2 for me aswell Good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was going to wait till Xmas was over to get sober, I just thought that I was setting myself up for failure. But this morning I woke up with depression and a hangover and thought "stuff waiting, I'm just going to do it today"

I just told my mum that I won't be drinking on Xmas day and she was happy for me. I'm sure there will be a few family members who wont be so happy though....