Notices

methadome

Old 04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

methadome

does anyone know anything about this ?? there is a clinic close to me i was wandering has anyone ever been on this medicine i know people who are taking it and are doing well now and staying straight ive been messing up the last few days im not taking not even half as many as i was but none the less im still taking some
Old 04-15-2004, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Re: methadome

Hello Robert

I have never taken methadone to get off of the lortabs. When I did not have the lortabs I would take metadone to get high. I have heard some people say that methadone is really hard to get off of. Now this is just my opnion, but trading one drug for another can't be good for you. Robert never give up. It will happen, you just have to want it more than anything in the world. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Methadone maintenence is whole "different" ballgame.And while I know any number of folks that are on it, I can think of only 2 who are "happy" with it over the long haul. True Blue hit the nail on the head when she said it's difficult to get off of. No one knows your 'history" but you, and I'd suggest that you do the research and talk it over with some "professionals" in the field before ya make a decision.
Jeff
Old 04-15-2004, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Platinum Member

(((Robert)))
I agree with Janet and Jeff, while I have never taken methadone or any other drug, I'm an alcoholic. I do know someone who has been taking prescribed methadone (thur a clinic) for about a year now, to get off of harder drugs, and hasnt been able to get off of the methadone yet. While she is off of the other harder drugs, for the time being, she cant get off of the methadone and is not happy about it.
I would do like Jeff advises, talk to some "professionals" your doctor, or someone who knows how it could effect you. I'll keep you in my prayers and the best of luck to you. Love, Bonni
Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Methadone is almost as hard to get off of as Heroin. One of my good buddies OD on Methadone in 1999 R.I.P Chip
Old 04-15-2004, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

i called and talked to them today and they said they get me regulated on it and the slowly cut me down at a real slow pace to where i would not get sick or really know that im comming off of it BUT i to know people that have been on it for years and are still on it i just dont know what to do i dont think i can just quit i want too but i cant it kinda seems like the clinics are just drug deallers who have figured out a way of selling legal i dont know what to do i have often thought about just buying a pile of them going out in the woods and not telling nobody and just take them all and end my problem beginning to seem like my only way out
Old 04-15-2004, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Arrow Re: methadome

NO! That is not the way out! Although I know you must be feelin pretty badly right now, I know I have been there on methadone and strugglin,it is best to follow medical advice as you can get pretty sick! I had to go detox as I found it impossible to cut down on my own.If you follow advice and hangin there you will soon be feeling better..have you though of attending a support group such as NA ? They are listed in the phone book,why not give a call ? What have you got to lose except your misery? The kind folks there will be more than happy to help you..Listen you are not alone! We are pullin for ya! Keep comin back ! Prayers goin out for you! Trish PS -Try to live one day at a time and not to worry about tommorow! We get through,one day at a time..
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!

Don't give up on yourself. If you want to get off the heroin and you've talked to you doc then do as he suggests. You can beat this. It takes a lot of courage and strength but you can do it. It's a temporary fix to a deeper problem your thinking about and there are people who haven't met you yet that care. You have a plan and a purpose, don't let the drug tell you otherwise. We're here for you, please keep coming back.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

We don't have to die anymore.
We are not alone anymore.
We are not afraid anymore.
And we don't have to suffer anymore.
www.na.org
Come in from the storm.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NOD

Hey Robrt31, my name is Jerry and I'm an addict. I was addicted to heroin for years and last December I finished a methadone maintainence program after being on methadone for almost 5 years. I have read so many posts and articles putting down methadone it makes me angry. Methadone, like many other drugs is abused and used for the wrong reasons.(some addicts stay on methadone as a crutch for when they don't have the means to get a fix, to keep from getting sick) But when you're ready to clean up it can be a life saver. I know because it worked for me. My program consisted of a daily dose of methadone from a Substance Abuse Professional and weekly counseling sessions. When I decided to stop using heroin and showed I was staying clean, through drug screens, I was allowed to taper off the methadone at my own pace with the help and advice from my clinic. I had some problems with withdrawal symptoms two weeks or so after I stopped dosing, but thet were minor and paled in comparison with what I had put myself through using drugs. I know some people are dead set against methadone but like everything else around here IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT! I'm sure you are going to hear some "horror stories" about methadone if you stay around long enough, but everyone is different. We are a group of very diversified individuals and what doesn't work for some works wonders for others, so keep your options open and give yourself a chance.
Robrt31 no matter what you choose to do know this, I'll be praying for you, and hoping you find your way.
Nodd (Jerry)
Old 04-16-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey There-

I was a heroin addict and turned to methadone for help. After being on mehadone a few months, I slowly tapered 5 mgs at a time over a 6 month period. You should think about it long and hard before starting. It did get me clean, but it took a lot of effort, planning, and a whole lot more pain than heroin ever did. I was pretty much in withdrawel for half a year...talk about exhausting beyond belief!! BUT, I didn't have to deal with the psychological part of addiction during methadone withdrawel.
I would definately give it a few shots at stopping lortabs cold turkey before turning to it. You can even go to a doctor and possibly get medication to lessen the pain during withdrawels (like clonodine/clonidine which isn't an opiate)
Although methadone was extremely painful to get off of, I am thankful for using it, because it did manage to get me clean. I don't think I'd do it again, and in fact, I relapsed not too long ago and went the cold turkey route and am doing great now!
Also, you may want to look into suboxone...I've heard great stuff about it, and getting off of it is 10 times easier than methadone.

Take Care
Old 04-17-2004, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Robert-how are you doin today? Let us know....Trish.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

hi its kevin thanks for the info"your from around new hampshire?mabe you could help me with contaks?for meetings to mabe get rides in the ario im in .sorry cant spell to good
Old 04-17-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

ive just got of methodne to 120mg a day hell is noy even good enuff to exsplien it
Old 04-17-2004, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

stay off methodon if you now whats good for you"its the devil. takes month to get off. even after that your still not the samecontakt me if want to talk?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi my names Jackie..and i can tell you from my point of view what and how methadone has affected me...Im 23 and been on methadone for 2 yrs and 2 months..For me it has saved me of a merry-go-round life...Yes ive been through detoxs(about 20) been to 28 day rehabs..(3) been to daytop..which its a tc..I only lasted there for 2 weeks..Way to strict for me..I also tried leaving the state twice..Nothing worked..The moment i found my way to freedom i went straight to the cop spot..I was like a robot..Its not like i did wanna relapse each time i left a program..I went in with all the intention that this time it was gonna work...But the moment i got out..The want and need to use was too high..I was like a anxious, wack out rabbit..Jumping around not know what to do..So i felt the only thing that will get rid of all that was dope...Finally i sed enough im getting on methadone..It was a fight for a while cause i didnt wanna get on..Yea i heard all the horror stories..How its just like another drug..That its ten times more addictive..That it eats your bones..that you'll lose your teeth..and so on....But i just got to a point i was sooooo tired..I felt anything will be better then the hell i have created for myself...And i knew i couldnt go to another rehab..So i went on my program that im in now...
Now i live in NYC..which methadone clinics are a dime a dozen there practically like mcdonalds are to every town in this country..Plus its free...most everyone gets you on emergency medicade..and you got your meth...If you dont have medicade or even insurance like me..All you pay is what you can afford..my mom is paying 20 bucks a month...I know though in other states its totally different..I went on a short stay on meth in jerzey..Just over the river...and its 60 bucks a week...and they dont help you to get medicade..and what i heard from the folks there that u have to be dirt poor to have jerzey shell out anything for you..And from other people ive talking to they say it can be more i heard someone in a southern state say there paying like 100 a week for there meth..I was like i couldnt imagine..Id be totally messed up if i had to deal with that...So i can see why people see meth as another drug in that way...
As for the medical area...Yea methadone is in the opiate family...its man made though..and it totally blocks opiates from getting into your receptors...I know ive tried to get high a few times...and i totally dont feel crap..But like anything if you want it bad enough you can get it...Methadone dont block benzo's...So theres many people on the program..taking meth on a high dose already and then popping a xanax...and there drooling on the floor...But thats because they werent ready to get clean...They came on this program to cheat..just like theres those who get on welfare and cheat the country outta money...Theres always gonna be people like that..But the methadone dont make you like that...Yea if you on a high dose you will catch a nod...But then thats also another way you trying to cheat yourself..I did it in the begininng..I thought hey if i cant get high im gonna feel something on this..I went up to 110 mg for a year...For lil ole me thats alot...and thats why im also not lil anymore...Being to high on the meth blows you up..Methadone retains water in people some more then others..For me it did it..Thats why you might see some people go in like a stick and come out like a whale..But some get it from abusing the benzo's too...
Look you are the one who controls your future and life...theres many different ways you can get help with your addictions..And what works for you might not work for me...I know methadone worked for me...You have to look at yourself and what you need...and then choose dont make a decision because so and so sed..Cause just like they say you can only get clean for yourself..well i believe only you can find your own way of getting clean...Many people tell me why didnt you just stick it out in a rehab..But i know how i am...I can wait a century..but the moment im out ill use..Eachtime i went into a rehab..I was so sick and wacked..All i thought about was how high i was gonna get when i left...But the methadone helped me look at myself...While i was still living life...I was able to find a way to get rid of people places and things..And i wasnt so wacked out..that all i wanted was a bag..The meth calmed me down so i lisitened to my counselor..and when i was in group...Recovery has stages..your mind changes over time..Just like how we didnt fall into being an addict overnite..We dont fall into recovery overnite either..I wish you the best..And hope you find what your looking for..Jackie