Notices

Drunk again

Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk again

How do you all do it?

I mean, I feel like crap every morning...after 10 ounces or so of vodka, I feel great again. I have read forums here and other places. Everyone seems to be in recovery mode. Is there anyone else here who is still a total drunk but wishes to be otherwise? Sobriety sounds wonderful until I take that first taste of vodka, and the second, and the third... I wish I was okay with wine...I can drink two or three glasses of that and be done. But the vodka, oh boy...

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who are still in the bad part. I am not suicidal because I love vodka too much! Sick.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

I don't think it is possible to move on unless there is acceptance that the bad far outweighs the good and that that equasion is beyond our scope to control.

Embracing sobriety unconditionally works but you have to be yourself to a position where you are prepared to take that leap of faith.

I don't think Vodka loves you back.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately it is only when the fear of staying the same is more than the fear of change do we get better.

I was were you are for many years. When my health failed and death looked like a real possibility did I decide this had to end.

You can get off this insane rollercoaster anytime but you have to want to at the core of your being.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear your dilemma. I was a daily vodka drinker...and tried wine or beer many times, but always ended up back with vodka and lots of it. I've tried to quit many times but this time (day 45) I've embraced AA, gone to meetings every single day and I never understood how that would help, but it does and really began to pray and look to a higher power. My life was just so unmanageable! I also went to an inpatient program to detox and an outpatient program which tested for Blood Alcohol so it helped be stay accountable the first few weeks. Once you have a certain amount of days, it gets better. More motivating. But you have got to be willing to stop and you really have got to TRULY want to stop. Without those two deep seeded convictions, I've never stayed on track. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, my question is, do you really truly feel "great" after that vodka? my guess is that it feels better than the hangover, BUT in my opinion, waking up NOT hungover feels great. I wish you the very best!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

I would still be drinking if it didn't ruin my health, my job, my family, my friends, my house.

Other than that alcohol was perfect.

I just left the place you are in 6 or so weeks ago. I like it better on this side of the fence. Come check it out.

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by d4157575 View Post
Is there anyone else here who is still a total drunk but wishes to be otherwise?
There are many here still in the clutch of alcohol. Many who are trying to recovery but who struggle and relapse.

Still, I think by coming here a part of them wants to be otherwise.

Like you did.

Welcome.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I've been trying to quit for many,many years. I will do ok,then always seem to relapse. I had a very close call the other night tho. My bottom. Really made me scared this time. I've never really had such a close call. Thought I could moderate,and I did 4 awhile,but that never lasts. I realize if I want to live,I have to put alcohol away. For good. And I really want and deserve a good,happy life. I'm glad you are here,and seeking help. Alcohol has stolen too many years of my life,and I'm choosing not to let that happen anymore. Stay strong,stay committed.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us have arrived here feeling overwhelmed by alcohol in our lives, so you're not alone. Do you want to stop drinking?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by d4157575 View Post
How do you all do it?

I mean, I feel like crap every morning...after 10 ounces or so of vodka, I feel great again. I have read forums here and other places. Everyone seems to be in recovery mode. Is there anyone else here who is still a total drunk but wishes to be otherwise? Sobriety sounds wonderful until I take that first taste of vodka, and the second, and the third... I wish I was okay with wine...I can drink two or three glasses of that and be done. But the vodka, oh boy...

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who are still in the bad part. I am not suicidal because I love vodka too much! Sick.
Yeah, that was me Sunday night.......yep two nights ago.....Sunday night I had a snootload in me like every night......half a bottle of red wine and 4 or 5 shots of straight up rum..........so tonight is only my second day......I found this site last night.......surfed it for a couple of hours and made my first post....I had the day off today and found myself back on this site several times as I am on now........I was on this site til 1 am SOBER drinking nothing but gallons of water being inspired with almost every post made.........make today day one buddy, every journey starts with step one....I was so proud this morning when I woke up I would have kissed my own cheek if I caould have.........good lucky buddy.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

There's many people here at the point you are d - check out the Class of December thread also in this forum

I remember the feeling bad - first drink of the day - feeling good cycle very well. I lived that way for much of 2 tewo decades and everyday for over five years.

How did I get out? I accepted I needed to change and that change would hurt.

I felt like death for a day or two - that why I and many others here recommend you get checked out by a DR beforehand and listen to what they have to say.

I felt like death - but I got better. It was a little short term pain for a long term gain.

detox isn't the end of the story, or the challenge of staying sober, by a long shot - but it's the first hurdle we face, and it's the start of a better life...really

You'll find support here to deal with that, and all the other hurdles too

D
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. You are all, of course, correct.

Nice to have these forums around.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am a new member too! I never thought I would be reaching for help, advice or different ways of thinking from users on a substance abuse forum. I realized that people of our conditions need to stick together and help each other find a deep sense of peace.

Brief things would keep me clean for awhile (no money, lost license, that Million Little Pieces book). I am becoming convinced that meetings are the tried and true method for recovery. Were in this addiction together lets keep trying!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The first few days after I ended my tumultuous relationship with wine were awful, day 3 being the worst. However, each day since has been a little bit better. I wake up with a clear head, I can exercise without feeling dizzy or nausea and I am a better mom, wife, and definitely more productive at work.

Today is day 61, and I look forward to that number growing each day. You can do this, and it is worth it!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had no choice but to quit. I lost my career, fiance, house, and was broke. Next step was probably jail or living in a dumpster. It only took about 6 years to lose everything.