Notices

Did it again

Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did it again

I got drunk yeaterday. Had a glass of wine, next thing i know i drank all day. I let myself and my wife down. She is really upset. I cant believe i pit myself in this situation again. I dont know how to fight the urge.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is a new day. Analyse the events leading up to your relapse and learn why it was that you made the decision to have that first drink.

When you have the answer, learn from it and never make that mistake again.

Are you doing this alone? If yes, there are lots of supports available to those who put the bottle down.

Welcome back.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will be okay. Just don't drink today!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I need to be honest w myself. I keep tellimg myself that i dont jave a problem. I am afraid to stop drinking. I am tired of the lies, and tired of hiding. I have achieved so much in my life. I wonder how much better it could be if i stop drinking
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wdpg View Post
I need to be honest w myself. I keep tellimg myself that i dont jave a problem. I am afraid to stop drinking.
That lie gets us every time. It's hard to fight an urge to drink when we are successfully convincing ourselves that we don't have a problem, or that it doesn't matter, or that we'll drink ONCE more, then quit for good.

I think your statement about being afraid is spot on. Change is scary, and to quit drinking you are going to have to change completely.

Find whatever recovery method promotes and supports that change, else you are bound to repeat this cycle.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what you can accomplish is limitless because you are removing the most damaging culprit from your life.

your feelings are mixed now, because it's very hard to decipher which is the real you and which is your addiction scared and not wanting to give up a drink. once you become aware of who wants what, you'll see how much stronger you can become.

you are right ... we don't know how to fight urges. never had to learn.

there are many methods to recognizing and avoiding urges. google "urge surfing", for example.

all that being said learn to be aware of your AV, recognize the urges for what they are... and the fight may not be as hard as it seemed at first.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What is your plan to stay sober? Will power is a necessary element but for most of us it took more.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im not sure. I think i need to go back to aa. Been once, but did not commit to it. I also need to be honest w myself and those around me. I also have to remember how crappy i feel now. Its just not worth it
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wdpg View Post
I also have to remember how crappy i feel now.
That will be the first thing you forget...

Give AA another try...and work the program.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good point. Onve that feeling fades the justification begins. I feel like i am obsessed w booze. I hope that fades over time
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you consider the experience as serving to expand your understanding of your drinking problem then it has a positive value to you.

And when another alcoholic believes they'll try hard and drink right this time you have something to share with them.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep moving forward.

The obsession with booze will fade in time if you commit to a recovery plan and work it with everything you have. Then and only then will the obsession fade. Without a recovery plan most of us just think about not drinking 24/7 and the obsession gets bigger and bigger.

You can do this, but it usually takes a lot more than just will power to achieve it. Do you have any sober friends or family members to support you when cravings hit? When I have cravings I try not to sit there and dwell on it, instead I call someone, take a walk, play with the dog, come on here, do homework, do anything that will get me out of my own mind and stop myself from allowing the craving to take over. Find what works for you. The most important thing is to never give up.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
The most important thing is to never give up.
Thank you for that. All of your post but especially that!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Have another go and learn from your mistakes