Notices

What exactly is Moderate Drinking ?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What exactly is Moderate Drinking ?

So this post is mainly directed at some of the newbies or people just reading wondering am I an alcoholic? problem drinker? Do I have a Real Problem? These questions have been vexing me for a while And I'm finally coming to some conclusions. When I first posted on this site a few days ago and said that maybe I wasn't ready to quit and I thought I could become a " moderate drinker " the response was overwhelmingly NO. You can't do it ! To paraphrase some " I tried it for a while then just when I thought I could handle it I went on a three day bender " and other similar comments. Some were more open minded and said well if that is your goal and you really think you can do it then at least quit for 30 days to test your will power and also to feel the difference of living in sobriety. I took all comments to heart and would like to share the following with the members who might be a little like me sort of on the fence. First I have stopped drinking since I first posted to think clearly so I'm off the fence technically speaking

Strict definition of what it is moderate drinking as defined by the National institute on Alcohol abuse and alcoholism (I would be interested in knowing if the recommendations are the same from our U.K and other non US members. )

Max drinking limits for Men no more than 4 drinks per day and no more than 14 in a week.
For women. No more than 3 drinks per day no more than 7 drinks in a week

Now this is where it gets tricky, most people just casually say I had 2 drinks at the bar and then 3 drinks at home so that's 5 right ? Well not exactly if you don't pay attention to serving size.

One drink is 12 oz beer , 5 oz wine , and 1.5 liquor and 9 oz malt liquor
Now only because I own a restaurant do I know about serving sizes , and although every restaurant is different believe me no one wants to go to a bar to have a weak drink. So average servings are as follows 8-9 oz glass of wine ( customers would complain vociferously if you tried to give them a 5 oz serving ) 3-4 oz for mixed drinks and 6 -7 oz for Martini type drinks. As a side note I read an interesting story about serving sizes and the three martini lunches people talk about was because they used tiny glasses , have you all noticed the size of Martini glasses lately? They run up to 12 oz. so you can easily have one martini and it is really multiple servings !

So here is my main point , most of us are drinking way more than we even realize and the idea of cutting back might seem realistic until you think about the above numbers. So I have to agree with those that say if you have to go through so much effort to drink this little then what's the point ! Its like putting An obese person on a starvation diet so probably not likely to work. Most of us drink because we like the buzz and some of like to drink because it dulls some senses. So taking all this in mind I have decided to quit and see how it goes. One day at a time like you all say.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mafalda View Post
So taking all this in mind I have decided to quit and see how it goes. One day at a time like you all say.
Wise choice. Those that drink moderately don't need it defined for them.

On the other hand, for the alcoholic, moderate drinking is either a stage of drinking, or one they wish they could return to with the vain hope that they can continue drinking.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post - I was shocked after I got sober to learn that my small bottle of wine contained 7-9 drinks!

From what I've read, the definition of moderate drinking (at least in the US) is 1 drink per day for women and 2 for men. The guidelines you mentioned were more for binge drinking (5 drinks for women in one day constitutes a binge). In any case, you're right about most people not even realizing how many units they're actually consuming.

Good for you for taking this step to better your life - that's awesome!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Thanks for the post - I was shocked after I got sober to learn that my small bottle of wine contained 7-9 drinks!

From what I've read, the definition of moderate drinking (at least in the US) is 1 drink per day for women and 2 for men. The guidelines you mentioned were more for binge drinking (5 drinks for women in one day constitutes a binge). In any case, you're right about most people not even realizing how many units they're actually consuming.

Good for you for taking this step to better your life - that's awesome!
It's 3 drinks for women and no more than 7 a week. These are the recommended limits I got from the pamphlet. Maybe there are other recommendations out there but these are some pretty strict limits.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

For me, I knew I couldn't moderate when I did things like promise myself I would only have 2 drinks (knowing full well our bar makes them very strong so 2 was probably really 4) and then decide "well, I've been here over 2 hours so my body has already metabolized the two so I can have another and I wouldn't be over the limit" It didn't so much matter the number of drinks, but what my mind would do once I'd had them. I could rationalize anything and then as a reward, hate myself in the morning.

I think you're right that many don't know how much they're really consuming and it's really important to be honest with YOURSELF. No one else is counting for you unless you have a distraught partner that's worried sick about you.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Here in the UK moderate drinking is defined by our National Health Service as being 21 units of alcohol per week for men and 14 units per week for women. This is the amount considered to be the maximum permitted before you need to think about doing something about reducing your intake.

21 units is 10 pints of beer. And a lot less for spirits and wine. I guess I know my drinking wasn't moderate as I could quite easily drink ten pints in a night. In fact I could drink ten pints in a couple of hours if I wanted too. All over the country people are going over this magical '21 units a week' guideline and unfortunately binge drinking is a national passtime here in Britain.

I could never do moderation. I couldn't drink one drink with a meal. I'd have 3 and then plop myself on a bar stool. In my mind moderate drinking is one glass of wine/one beer every few days. And maybe a few pints on a Friday or Saturday. But my definition of moderate and the NHS' definition of moderate are wholly different.

Natom.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. One bottle of wine a night, and for me that's cutting back. I never eyed my jumbo-sized wine glasses before.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are three types of Drinkers, moderate, heavy and extreme. Moderate is about 2 to 4 drinks a week. Heavy is 10 or more a week while extreme is more than 20 drinks a week.

It makes no difference anyway calling yourself a moderate drinker it's like saying you're a moderate smoker or moderate heroin injector. There is no moderate safe amount of alcohol in my view. One drink can cause a heart attack.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David10 View Post
one drink can cause a heart attack.
Care to back that up with a source?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This are the guidelines I know about (US but they're roughly comparable to Australia where I live):

What does moderate drinking mean?
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,1 moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days. The Dietary Guidelines also state that it is not recommended that anyone begin drinking or drink more frequently on the basis of potential health benefits because moderate alcohol intake also is associated with increased risk of breast cancer, violence, drowning, and injuries from falls and motor vehicle crashes.
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol

D
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Holiday heart syndrome.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David10 View Post
There are three types of Drinkers, moderate, heavy and extreme. Moderate is about 2 to 4 drinks a week. Heavy is 10 or more a week while extreme is more than 20 drinks a week.

It makes no difference anyway calling yourself a moderate drinker it's like saying you're a moderate smoker or moderate heroin injector. There is no moderate safe amount of alcohol in my view. One drink can cause a heart attack.
There might not be a safe amount for you but the medical community has established safe drinking levels that actually enhances health hence the good health of Italians and the French ( those who drink in moderation ). My only point is that for those that drink there are wide ranges of health, tolerance , etc but taking all that into account every person must in the end mAke an honest evaluation. My drinking is too much for me but to a Brit it might seem like a minuscule amount. Wow 10 pints a day and I would literally be in the hospital or the morgue ( not kidding )
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was 10 pints a week...not a day.

10 pints a day, the entire country would be in liver failure.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This are the guidelines I know about (US but they're roughly comparable to Australia where I live):

CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol

D
Thanks Dee. Yes there are different guidelines. The ones I mentioned were from the NIAA pamphlet that are the Maximum limits for people who are being screened for heavy drinking. I guess the recommendations for the general public are even lower.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
It was 10 pints a week...not a day.

10 pints a day, the entire country would be in liver failure.
Natom said he could drink ten pints in a day.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for the informative post...

To be simple, for me, that was entirely wayyyy too much to worry about to assure Gaelic that I am a "moderate" drinker and not alcoholic. I tried numerous times to limit or control my drinking, but after a while I was back to the same ol thing.

Like my alcoholic mind wants to look at all those various scenarios and justify and rationalize a way to prove I am not alc
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for the informative post...

To be simple, for me, that was entirely wayyyy too much to worry about to assure myself that I am a "moderate" drinker and not alcoholic. I tried numerous times to limit or control my drinking, but after a while I was back to the same ol thing.

Like my alcoholic mind wants to look at all those various scenarios and justify and rationalize a way to prove I am not alcoholic. Wayyy too involved. This whole post reminds me of a lot of unneeded pain and misery I put myself through to prove to myself and others that I am not alcoholic.

It seems like something I would have printed off and passively left around while purposely attempting to control my drinking to the above parameters.

Sorry if this double posted...dern iPhone again argh.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

search: American Heart Association for information on alcohol and it's damaging effects upon the heart and circulatory system....

at 5' almost 1" I drank 6-12 beers (12 ounces each can) a day....for over ten years....plus smoked weed....and some cocaine thrown in about 8+ years ago....alcohol and cocaine is a heart attack waiting to happen......and then there are those who had strokes while doing this and haven't known it happened as they were too high at the time, but today a doctor can tell with certain tests, as to whether or not you've been a victim of this or similar events....