Notices

Just a suggestion

Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion

Maybe there could be a thread for those of us that want to quit and are struggling to do so.

I ‘m not sure that there’s not but I can’t find it even though I keep getting sent to one thread or another.

Please don’t take me wrong I’m not here to criticize or bash this site. I just think maybe there are more like me who want to quit and can’t on there own.

Accept my apologies if there is one and I haven’t found it yet. PM me or something if I’m on the wrong track.

*throwing my hands up*

Is there such a thing? When AA is not an option.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

most of the threads on here are from newcomers in your same position!

glad you found us!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exauhsted View Post
Maybe there could be a thread for those of us that want to quit and are struggling to do so.

I ‘m not sure that there’s not but I can’t find it even though I keep getting sent to one thread or another.

Please don’t take me wrong I’m not here to criticize or bash this site. I just think maybe there are more like me who want to quit and can’t on there own.

Accept my apologies if there is one and I haven’t found it yet. PM me or something if I’m on the wrong track.

*throwing my hands up*

Is there such a thing? When AA is not an option.
Why is AA not an option for you ?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Power to Quit
Women for Sobriety
Rational Recovery
AVRT
SMART
Life Ring

Alternates to AA.....did I miss any??
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried the Class of December thread exuahsted?
It's for newcomers quitting this month

If you want a link, let me know.

D
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Why is AA not an option for you ?

All the best.

Bob R
I live out in the middle of nowhere I would have to drive a good ways to get there and yes I checked..not one in my town. I don't have the means (at this time) to even get there. Long story..I can drive but my car is currently being used for my daughter to get back and forth to school which cost a lot of money in gas..Long story...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

If you think AA might be something that you'd respond to, I've heard there are online meetings that you could go to instead. If AA doesn't appeal, many of us are recovering using different methods and you can read about all of them here on SR.

Or, maybe you are asking if there is a thread for people that are still actively drinking but are also thinking about quitting? I've seen a lot of threads from people that are still drinking and trying to moderate. I think that most people that find their way to SR know that the addiction is starting to wreak havoc on their lives and want to do something about it before it's too late.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Exhausted, how about starting a thread titled "Want to quit and struggling"?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Exhausted,

I just wanted to chime in to let you know that you're not alone. Moderation is doable, but not the optimum way of living. I kind of wish alcohol had never been discovered, but it's omnipresent. I don't know how normies do it... have a couple of drinks every once in awhile? What's up with that?

- Renaldo
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live out in the middle of nowhere I would have to drive a good ways to get there and yes I checked..not one in my town. I don't have the means (at this time) to even get there. Long story..I can drive but my car is currently being used for my daughter to get back and forth to school which cost a lot of money in gas..Long story...
This is a simple yes or no question...But I'm curious. If where that meeting is held was the only place you could buy alcohol...Would you find a way to get there?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Renaldo, the science is conclusive;

It is a rare occasion when an addict is able to, for the long term, successfuly moderate their consumption.

The absolute vast majority of addicts find success when they abstain completely.

All that to say, realistically, moderation is not doable.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The first step that must be taken is to commit to saying good bye to our best friend and worst enemy. Honestly believing you just can not be a successful drinker.

For most of us will power was not enough. There are a few select people who seem to have done it on their own but they are in the minority.

Research the options, ask questions, come up with a plan and then stick to the plan a day at a time.

I doubt there is anyone here who has not struggled to quit. I struggled for 20 years but where I failed was I wanted to be a normal drinker which for me is impossible. When I finally figured that out things got a whole lot better very fast.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
See sugarbear's list...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think that's a really good idea. Could you not just start one?

I was one of those who found it really hard to stop drinking and I avoided this place like the plague because it made me feel bad. I think a thread like you mentioned would have made me feel better about hanging around here.

To be honest though I don't know what would help people to actually quit. I reached desperation point but still had to force myself to stop drinking. I think having sober role models really helped me take that leap but it is an inside job so I am not sure how helpful a thread would be. You might be better off reading up on recovery methods x
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LDT

Every single one of us here has struggled at some point in our quest for sobriety. Some are still struggling. That's what this website is all about.

I'd like to suggest you keep reading. There are so many supportive people here. I've been here since February, and think I just now understand that everyone here just wants everyone else to be happy and sober. It's really that simple.. I get that now.....PM those you feel connected to, EX .....ignore the threads that might trigger you, bring you down, or even maybe intimidate you.

Be well
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you see, there are lots of supportive people here.

Please check out some of the alternatives offered since AA is not an option for you.