SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Went to first AA meeting..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/277221-went-first-aa-meeting.html)

nabb1 12-11-2012 06:26 AM

Went to first AA meeting.....

So, I went to my first meeting yesterday and let me say I was truly scared to death to walk through the door. But, once I was inside and was greeted by many people it was a whole lot easier. I have been rolling the whole concept over in my head after hearing some of the experience of others and of course part of me is saying well you are not that kind of drinker so do you really need to be there. Of course I need to be there since I question every time I drink and dwell on if I will drink or not. Just because I do not drink in the morning or everyday, by the time Wednesday or Thursday comes around I am instantly asking my self do I or don't I buy the wine, and once I do it is four days of buying wine. Sometimes it is only drinking one bottle not bad (ya right) but once the second bottle is opened a whole different person emerges and that is not what I want to see EVER again. So yes I do need to go to the meetings and grasp the reality of my situation so I can be free from this horrible disease. I will once again walk through the doors again today, I know it scares me still but that is a good thing right?:abcj

sugarbear1 12-11-2012 06:42 AM

Helping yourself recover is an awesome thing!

My alcoholism was that I couldn't live life without drinking.....

PaperDolls 12-11-2012 06:46 AM

It's a great thing whenever someone takes steps to better themselves.

I drank similarly to you so I get it. After a while, the fear will be gone. I feel weird when I don't go to meetings now. I never thought that would happen!

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. :)

tomsteve 12-11-2012 07:23 AM

whats greater: the fear of walkin through the doors or the fear of another drink?
get that same courage ya had when ya went to the 1st one.
whne ya get in there, i highly suggest at least getting a copy of the big book and reading the 1st 164 pages. we help each other stay sober and help others achieve sobriety. we love it when someone comes in wanting help.

alcoholism isnt about how much we drink/drank.

MIRecovery 12-11-2012 07:36 AM

Very cool and congrats on the first step of a life time of getting better

Cwbugycody 12-11-2012 08:09 AM

Awesome, you will find lots of love and support through the doors of AA . Keep going back. It works if you work it! Good luck and God bless.

bbthumper 12-11-2012 08:12 AM

Welcome to AA! Please stay. We need you!

BruceJ 12-11-2012 08:16 AM

You did good.

When you attend meetings, try to listen for the similarities and not the differences. I've been to hundreds of meetings through the years and have never heard anyone describe their drinking patterns as matching mine. IOW...it really doesn't matter what you drank, when you drank, how much you drank, etc.
If, when you begin to drink...you lose control over a sane amount to drink......(and only you can answer that one to yourself) then you should probably go to a few more meetings and listen carefully.

All the best.

mfanch 12-11-2012 08:19 AM

I'm glad you are here. I felt exactly how you feel when I walked through that door. However, I started to feel better and thought that I was too young to be "an alcoholic". It took 20 more years getting beat down by alcohol for me to get back through the doors of AA and follow the simple directions of the program. Don't do what I did!!!

I would say read the Doctor's Opinion if you have a BB and call any numbers you may have gotten at that meeting! They really want to hear from you.

:)

heath480 12-11-2012 08:38 AM

Pleased to hear you are going back to another meeting.

They say if you keep going back you will hear someone with the same story as yourself.It happened to me when I was about 2years sober.

Look forward to hearing your progress.

bryangt 12-11-2012 08:44 AM

You will find the medicine you need at the meetings. And with time, the meetings will be an important part of your recovery and the stepping stones to a better way of living. Wish you well & keep coming back!!

Anna 12-11-2012 09:17 AM

I'm glad that you found something that works for you.

IndaMiricale 12-11-2012 11:59 AM

Welcome Home ****{nabb1}}}

Keep coming back. :)

dragon12 12-11-2012 01:09 PM

Thanks for your post. I am still trying to muster up the confidence to attend a meeting. To be honest, I know that I need to at least try a meeting and I know that I need the support but I'm scared to death. The more I avoid the meetings the more guilty I feel.

Well done!

Zebra1275 12-11-2012 03:30 PM

Wwlcome to SR! Glad you made it to your first meeting and are going back.

BabyJane 12-11-2012 03:34 PM

That's a big step for anyone. I cried through my first meeting and I was terrified. Over the years I've been to hundreds of meetings and the thing that worked for me was getting a sponsor and actually working the steps to the best of my ability. It isn't for everyone but it works for me. I feel a part of something bigger and better than the alcohol. I feel like I have friends and family there. I even relate to other women differently because of AA. Keep going back!