Notices

Need of some advice

Old 04-15-2004, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need of some advice

Does anyone out there have advice for me. My husband is an alcholic and doens't believe he is (of course). Anyway I try to ignore it and go on with my life but some days it is so overwhelming I can hardly stand it. He doesn't seem to care that it is affecting our relationship. Of course he probably doesn't see it like I do. This has been progressing the last four years and now he drinks everyday. The other day my 19 year old daughter was bitten by our pitbull. Luckily it wasn't bad. When my husband got home we told him. His first reaction was "you guys need to stop trying to breakup his fights. Then he asked if she was okay. Years ago before his main concern was his beer he would have shot the dog. If frustrates me that he just doesn't seem to care about his family anymore. The thing he worries about most is when he gets his next beer. I hope somebody has some advice for me to help me get through this.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Re: Need of some advice

Well, first of all, I'm glad he didn't shoot the dog. I think that's a good thing. If the dog cannot live with people then it should be taken care of humanely.

When someone is an addict, their main concern is when, where, how they will get their next drink. It's obsessive thinking and it takes over a person's life. This makes it very difficult to live with and to have a 'normal' live. There is lots of support to be found here at SR and you also might check out our AlAnon forum where you'll find lots of people in similar cirumstances. Keep posting.

Anna
Old 04-15-2004, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

First, as Anna suggests, get help for yourself. You need support. You describe your husband's main concern as getting the next drink. Yep, he needs help too. Him getting help though is out of your control. You come first now.

Dan, a recovering alcoholic and addict.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks anna. Where do I find the al-anon forum?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just go back to the main page for the SR Message board and scroll down, way down and you'll come to the AlAnon forum. Start on the main page where you found the Newcomer's forum and just keep scrolling down. Good luck.

Love, Anna
Old 04-15-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unhappy Re: Need of some advice

okay, I'm a moran. I can't seem to find it.