Notices

Does it get easier?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it get easier?

Hi,

I am now three weeks sober, but still finding it hard not to drink when out with friends, Does it get easier in time ?

Feeling a bit down about it at the moment. :-(
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely yes.

For me, accepting that alcohol was no longer allowed in my life and that I simply would never drink again...ever.

Was pure liberation.

I do not drink.

It does get better and yes, it gets easier.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Have you told your friends that you aren't drinking anymore?

I had to stop doing the things that I associated with drinking, including hanging out with friends who drank. At least for the first couple months.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A very big YES !

Gotta give yourself time things don't happen overnight.

good luck
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I have told my friends and they are all supportive. It's myself that I am fighting with as I (like thousands of others) sometimes think I can have a couple.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

if i was hanging with friends that were drinking, i highly doubt it would have gotten anything but worse.
but i didnt do that. i stayed away from wet faces and wet places. it took T.I.M.E. but it did get easier.
i dont have a drinkin problem today. but i still have a thinkin problem, but thats gettin gooder.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it does get easier.

I was around people drinking quite a lot when I first got sober and I also found it hard. I think it took about three months for me to feel comfortable about it and not really think about it too much. The problem for me was fighting with an internal voice that told me to drink - it made me very on edge and anxious, and didn't help at all. Accepting that voice was there, and not letting it give rise to any emotions really made a difference. You don't have to fight the feelings you are having... or feel guilty/upset/angry that your body is telling you to drink. Let it be and let it go, it's much easier.

Congrats on your three weeks
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Yes, it is very hard at 3 weeks sober. Yes, it does get easier. Yes, eventually it is nothing more than a passing thought.

No it does not need to be as difficult as it is. Stop putting yourself in dangerous situations by going out with drinking friends. Sobriety is a way of life not a diet.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Susan80 View Post
It's myself that I am fighting with as I (like thousands of others) sometimes think I can have a couple.
Well, every day there are any number of posts from SR members who thought the same thing.

It doesn't end pretty.

I told myself that any thoughts of drinking, of any amount, was the insanity of alcoholism taking over my mind. And I'm not going to listen to a crazy person.

Stay strong.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

Easier .... absolutely !
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan80 View Post
Yes I have told my friends and they are all supportive. It's myself that I am fighting with as I (like thousands of others) sometimes think I can have a couple.
I'll tell you what I do when I hear that voice...I kind of took the idea from a SR member named RobbyRobot.

I don't argue with that voice, I don't negotiate with that voice and I do not entertain any ideas from that voice...I treat that voice with disgust and disdain.

I have nothing to say to that voice other than;

" **** you, I don't drink, so **** off!"

I don't pretend the voice isn't there, it is there and it will come alive...but only if I allow it to.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Sobriety is a way of life not a diet.
This should be a sticky.

The sheer number of people on SR who are in early sobriety, who still actively visit their old haunts is absolutely staggering to me.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
This should be a sticky.

The sheer number of people on SR who are in early sobriety, who still actively visit their old haunts is absolutely staggering to me.
I can only speak from my own experience but being in drinking situations in early sobriety IMO is a, "Death Wish."
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It does get easier. I found it was very weird with my friends early on. I was fighting the inner voice and they were uncomfortable with a non drinker. After about 3 months it got easier. People were used to the idea, and I was used to
ignoring the voice. Now things are normal with my friends and I'm not drinking.
You can do this!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you to all those who have offered support today. Has really made a difference!! I must add that I am not returning to old haunts at the moment as this would be far too tough. . . I didn't realise how readily available alcohol is everywhere !! I was astounded when I went to a sports day (for kids) recently and there was a beer tent!! I am positive that things will get easier and look forward to going into my 4th week of sobriety. :-) Love and thanks. xxxx
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Was at a party on Saturday. Alcohol was around me, but I never really gave it much of a thought. Don't want to say this is the norm, but not drinking has become the norm for me after 6 months. Going to a concert would still be a huge trigger for me even now. So I need to be conscious of that, but I can go to a restaurant and party now without much of a problem. So yes, I guess it has gotten easier. You just need to stick with it. This after drinking steadily more for the last 25 years and drinking every day for the last 5-7.