Notices

How many relapses before did u have before lasting sobriety?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many relapses before did u have before lasting sobriety?

I am up in the middle of night coming off a 4 day relapse. I have been in recovery less than a year and I know most people will relapse before getting it right. For those of you here who have achieved lasting sobriety, how many times before you got it right?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea.

I tried many times to quit drinking but for 15 years I never quite got my head around 'never again'.

Once I did - once I accepted that my relationship with alcohol was and always will be toxic, and that my life had to change - I've maintained lasting sobriety.

Don't bet yourself up too much - we can often make that an artform...and that despair can lead you back to drinking.

You made a mistake...but you're back on the right road now.

Think about what you need to do, and what you need to change.

If I can do this, you can

D
Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try not to think of any more times Wastinglife

Look at the positives... your relapse only lasted four days and before that you were sober for nearly(?) a year! That's a massive achievement and it isn't diminished by your relapse.

Just try to figure out what went wrong or what was missing from your recovery and move on x
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zero.

I aim to keep it that way.

I suspect I've found strength in accepting that in order to have a worthwhile life, I simply cannot drink alcohol.

You can do this.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This varies greatly with different people.
For me...I sobered up in '93...went to treatment...lots of AA. I didn't drink for about 10 years....went down to Louisiana on a job to clean up Katrina's mess with a bunch of other guys....and started having a beer or two after work.
Came back home and was able to keep it to a beer or two for a few weeks....then 3 - 4, then ..... well .... right back into my old drinking pattern and probably worse.
I actually wish that the 1st sip would have led to my old pattern immediatly....it would have been easier .... but alcohol is, as they say, cunning..baffleing...powerful.
Anyway, I stayed drinking for about 5 years....nearly lost everything.

Sober about 100 days now....I know what to look out for now....the trick is to never let your guard down.

All the best.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really count my past attempts. I wasn't serious - I didn't really know what I was doing/talking about. I said 'I'm quitting drinking' or 'I'm not drinking for a while' but I really meant was I'll give it a go... see what happens - I was never prepared to stick it out forever like I was when I quit properly this time. There was a difference - I don't know what it was - a determination maybe, or a simple hatred for who I was and what I'd done and seeing no real life ahead for me unless I stopped. Whatever it was, it meant something, and I knew that I had made a commitment. Before... not so much. So I don't say I've had 'relapses' because I didn't mean business those other times.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
I don't really count my past attempts. I wasn't serious - I didn't really know what I was doing/talking about. I said 'I'm quitting drinking' or 'I'm not drinking for a while' but I really meant was I'll give it a go... see what happens - I was never prepared to stick it out forever like I was when I quit properly this time. There was a difference - I don't know what it was - a determination maybe, or a simple hatred for who I was and what I'd done and seeing no real life ahead for me unless I stopped. Whatever it was, it meant something, and I knew that I had made a commitment. Before... not so much. So I don't say I've had 'relapses' because I didn't mean business those other times.
Totally agree, I quit many many times but I had no intention of never drinking again. Until I realized that alcohol and I would never be able to co-exist did things start to get better
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

One relapse after a year and a half sober.

That was enough for me. That was all it took.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i couldnt have one of these relapses mentioned unless i was sober, which for me is not just without alcohol; it is of sound mind. so after my last drunk was when i got serious; i knew if i took another drink i was gonna kill myself. i got help. i havent had a drink since 4/21/05.....yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I lost count! But I learned that I couldn't do it alone. I asked for help from friends, family, the sober community at large, and God. It hasn't been easy, but I have done well considering I was able to quit drinking for almost 5 years and am now off drugs too.

just don't give up.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I couldn't get past a day or two for the last 5 years because I really wasn't committed to quitting. I thought in my alcoholic mind that I was, but I really wasn't. I needed to resolve my mind to the fact that my life with alcohol was over. No 1 drink or on 1 special occassion. Being an alcoholic, it it tough to wrap your mind around never again. Though once I did it, the air seemed to be let out of the ballon and it became more managable to take it one day at a time. I am over 6 months now. I still use the get through the day approach if I have cravings. Seems to have worked, though I can never let my guard down.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm one of those fortunate ones who put it down (in 1984), and never picked it up again. Anytime I was going through anything that made me want to drink, whether a situation or just an urge, I wanted to get past it because I knew if I drank I would only have to face it again one day in the future. Plus I felt I'd have to go through everything I already went through all over again, and probably more intensely. I knew I wanted to be done with alcohol. I had no reservations. I wanted to learn to live a sober life and I was willing to do whatever was necessary to obtain that. I was completely open minded and willing. Those 2 attributes (or gifts) saved my life.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
My story is pretty similar to this. If I think beck to my past attempts to quit drinking and I never really committed to it. I would stop for a few days, sixteen was the longest prior to stopping for good this time. I knew I needed to have a plan and various supports in place. Checking in here daily has helped me the most.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I relapsed after 6 months. It took me a 1 1/2 yrs.to get back to my old drinking patterns, but this time I was hiding it from my family and friends.
Today is Day 17 again! I learned from my relapse which came out of nowhere that I truly can not have just one.....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

First you did great by coming right back and admitting that you drank
You want to quit
You said you wont give up, thats a big key no matter what happens as long as your alive you can be sober.

Now on the other hand these are just things I had to learn the hard way..

I used to say I relapsed when I was first trying to quit. But I learned this wasnt really true.

In order to relapse I that mean I had to change the mold or model . Otherwise I didnt really relapse I just simply did what I knew how to do and always did drink..(that was actually a relief to learn I didnt really relapse.)

So with that Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes huge thing to learn.
Not drinking must become number one above all else. And I had to go learn how to do this from people that had ...

So for me it was AA, and without it I would not be here..

You can be free..