Notices

Thanks for the Diploma..

Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Diploma..

Hi all

I am an Aussie, in my late 40's, divorced and have a 7 year old. Have been lurking for a few weeks now (day 24 since my last drink) and feel that I have gained a diploma in recovery... The links to outside inexpensive or freely available material has been invaluable, from the book 'Under the Influence' which I purchased as an ebook, the Utube movie 'Rain in my Heart', the online crash course on AVRT, and basically I have taken on board great tips from members here on practical ways to not ever drink alcohol again.

Drinking heavily a couple of times a week from my late teenage years I reached the bottle of wine stage a couple of years ago and along with many here didn't think that was too bad in comparison with many others. I managed an alcohol free day every now and then and on one day per week only drank a third of a bottle and drank the other third the next day. Thought I was great at moderation by doing this.. sure! At the back of my mind I knew that my lower back... kidneys... and stomach were killing me and I wasn't on top of my game at work.

I didn't have absences from work however did not feel good alot of the time, finding myself tongue tied and forgetful, and queasy. I also didn't like my winey odour (I remember from the times of my attempted sober times that it is not pleasant smelling this on others!)

I think the most difficult part of recovery for me at the moment is losing contact with my circle of friends, who although are big on partying, don't come close in the amount of alcohol consumed. I think I have also scared them off a little bit previously and have put some space between us while I sort myself out (eg after work drinks with workmates)... so am feeling a bit lonely. I also feel I can't talk to my family about it. Although very close, my sister is in the same boat as me and does not like me talking about it at all.

Anyway... I am committed to seeing this through for the sake of my own health and sanity and for my child, who has an older mum anyway and needs me to be there.

Thanks for being here..
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our family, Eseilenna. Glad you posted. It's great that you found so much help here.

SR was so important to me when I first joined. Not only did I learn a lot, but my anxiety was lessened by posting & interacting with others here. People who really understood. Before I knew it, the shaking had stopped - and I was part of this wonderful community. I never dreamed there were so many people exactly like me. No one else in my life understood. Best wishes on your journey - be proud of this big decision you have made.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not in this alone and are in fact surrounded by fellow addicts in various stages of recovery.

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Eseilenna!! Sounds like you are off to a great start in your recovery. This site has been my biggest resource, and I check in daily. I was originally doing it to keep me accountable, that is still a small part, but now I find myself checking in more to see how everyone is doing, and to share about my day good or bad.

You will find lots of support on here from people in all stages of recovery!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Eiselanna)) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 24 days! I found SR when I was still deep in my addiction. Lurked here for a couple of years, kept coming back, and finally logged in when I had 6 months in recovery.

I don't have many f2f people who "get" what it's like to be me, but I found all KINDS of people who get it right here. I've been through some rather traumatic things in my recovery, but am grateful that my first response has always been "just let me get to SR, I'll be okay".

Nothing like having friends all over the universe to understand us

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Eseilenna

congrats on your sober time - good to have you with us

D
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it sounds like you've learned so much in your journey, some of it from us, at SR. Good for you for reading here and learning and moving forward with your recovery. Maybe you can suggest coffee dates with your friends, or going for a walk? Hopefully you can reconnect, though as I'm sure you know, recovery involves lots of changes.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Eseilenna, glad to have you here. There is a lot of support for you, and it sounds as though you can support some others too, and that is great!