Notices

Stuck

Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuck

I am stuck. Have 2.5 years of sobriety – did rehab followed by IOP then 1:1 therapy. I was in a dysfunctional relationship which I left last year – he continues to drink (which is why I left). I moved to a nearby city, bought a new home and live with my young adult daughter. I have (had) a sponsor, attended meetings but just got so turned off by everyone I knew in the program that basically substituted AA for drinking. Most conversations with my sponsor resulted in my resenting her because she insisted that I must have more problems or things going on and I just didn’t trust her. Honestly, my life wasn’t that bad (while actively drinking nor after I accepted I am an alcoholic).
I’ve accepted the fact that life changes, I am totally open to it but am feeling so isolated right now. I haven’t been to a meeting since mid-September and no longer have relationships with my friends from school. I have my family (sisters, mom and daughter) and former fiancée (although we’re not in a relationship we’re still friends but I have to keep my boundaries with him).
I know I should look for new meetings, find another sponsor, etc. – I just have no motivation. And, as I am typing this, realize my motivation should be my desire to get out of my rut, continue the journey to share experience, strength and hope with others…..
Thanks for listening – any advice (kick in the pants ) is appreciated!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Avila,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and posted. I think there is lots of inspiration here at SR and hopefully you will find the motivation to continue your recovery. Hopefully you will share your journey with others here. I think that's always a positive thing.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

whatever else your doing I would get back to meetings, new or old doesnt matter also doesnt matter what you think about them just keep going. No need to believe in any one person just the program.

Keep posting here as well its sure saved my butt but not my face.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you feeling like you want to drink or just feeling isolated?
Getting back to meetings sounds like something you want to do, you just want the kick in the pants to do it. So go!
If you are feeling isolated, there are other ways to meet people, through hobbies/sports etc. and read posts on here. This place is great for sobriety, nice people who want to help. It has saved my serenity many days these last few months I've been on