Notices

Confused and concerned

Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here's a couple of links that helped me tremendously:

This movie really helped me open my eyes. Hard to watch and hard to stop watching, if you know what I mean. It has ten segments, and I watched all ten in one sitting.
Rain in my Heart - a documentary about alcoholism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0InrPZpjg

The Big Book Big Book On Line
(Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I watched that documentary. It's sad that that lady dies. It's true people can die from boozing and that scares me. I want to live a sober life. Not just 6 days at a time like I currently do. I've had numerous people tell me I'm a different person sober. I have coherent thoughts, can actually form sentences and not slur and mumble my way through an evening. I dread every weekend but have made a plan to do other things and not drink at all this upcoming weekend. I know I need solid support do that's what I'm working on. I'm so excited to not drink this weekend but scared because of temptation. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 You're not a bad person, you're addicted to alcohol. That doesn't make you 'bad', only sick. We can help you get well.

I see a counselor too and she's been a tremendous help to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Mikah, glad you found SR-you'll get help in dealing with your feelings and support for making positive changes.

Have you ever tried going out with your friends and not drinking? You don't have to be lonely and stay home all the time if you quit. You already know that you feel better sober most of the week. Why not try going the whole week? Grab a cranberry and soda instead and keep it simple.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's funny because cran and soda has actually been my non-alchoholic drink of choice when I'm out and not drinking. Even though I've enjoyed nights out with friends not drinking, I've also white-knuckled my way through other nights and usually will leave early just to avoid drinking and other times will start with a pop, then order a beer and then like 10 more beers. Ahhh. My friend just sent me an article about 'secret drinking' which is something I've never had to really indulge in with the exception of a handful of times and one point in the article which resonated with me was the notion of freedom and exercising free will when you drink. This is something I've struggled with. I have to add that the friend who sent this to me is someone who I would drink with all the time.