Notices

Just poured out my whole liquor cabinet

Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Props, this house is alcohol free now also. My roommate agreed not to bring anything into the house until I felt I was ok with it. Found out that my big old tea mug is great for shakes hehe.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Thanks all. Every time I tried sobriety in the past I kept my stash, telling myself it didnt matter because Id always have a liquor store close by anyway so whats the difference? If im gonna drink im gonna drink. Now I think thats just a little too easy to walk downstairs and have a taste. Plus, since im not touching it again theres no point in having it around.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
just jump!

Is it important to get it out of the house? I have some beer in the fridge. I'm sure I'd drink it if I open it. guess I'll give it away.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It is only important to get it out of the house if you are liable to drink it. I recommend getting rid of it all, no empties either, for a long time. If you hang around the barbershop long enough, you know what can happen. You might just catch a fish. I think that's how that goes?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sobriety is a game of inches. There is not one thing you need to do it is a whole series concrete actions. Each one plugs a hole that your addictive voice will try to exploit. Sobriety is a way of life not a diet.

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dragon12 View Post
Thats hard Mafalda, apart from beer, which i don't like, knowing that there is alcohol in the house makes me obsess about drinking it. My husband is a heavy drinker but he is really helping me with my sobriety at the moment by not having alcohol in the house. Maybe a heart to heart with your husband might help. Could he not transfer his precious collection to storage somewhere?
You gave me a great idea. He can't move it to storage because its a climate controlled room but i can Ask him to put a lock on it. I don't often do it but it has happened so why keep it so easily accessible.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Halzuzu View Post
Well done! I also gave away all of my glassware: martini glasses/shakers, wine glasses, shot glasses, beer stines, margarita glasses, etc...
Thanks for this. I, too, poured out A LOT of bourbon because I was just so disgusted with the cycle that I couldn't break if there was any whisky in the house. Over the past few months, though, I've been giving away all the accoutrements of drinking: shakers, shot glasses, wine racks, and so on. I still have several bags of brand new glassware in the closet that I haven't been able to get rid of to this point b/c of the money I spent on them, but your post makes me feel better about just letting them go.

The one thing I have discovered really needs to go are the little tumblers I used every day for soda. I loved them--they are Mexican blown glass--but they also have an association for me with mixed drinks. I think I deserve a fresh start with new soda glasses that have no association with alcohol.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mafalda View Post
You gave me a great idea. He can't move it to storage because its a climate controlled room but i can Ask him to put a lock on it. I don't often do it but it has happened so why keep it so easily accessible.
That sounds like a creative, win-win solution, Mafalda. You are doing great!