Notices

Someone tell me how good it is...

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Someone tell me how good it is...

I have read a lot of doom and gloom from diseases to beasts I know the lingo From aa to avrt I know a lot about alcohol.

I just want to hear something positive, like how good it is to be sober or how amazing someone's life is right now because they gave up. Because otherwise what's the point......

Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting sober is hard, staying sober is hard.
Life has problems for drunks & nondrunks.

That being said, I will be sober 1 yr in January.
My life has never been better.
It is THE BEST THING I ever did for myself.

I have peace, serenity, & HOPE. I look forward to each day, not wishing away my time to drink, recover from drink, make plans for next drink, etc.

I'm living life & loving it.
Stay strong, it does get better!!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Lionhearted.

I feel really good (Day 55). My life doesn't rotate arount a bottle of wine. My emotions are not attached to it, my mood doesn't depend on it. I'm back to my six workouts a week. I feel myself. It's really great.

Take care)
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I am strong enough now to hold my head high as I go through this very uncertain time in my life. I have been given hope and a sense of purpose which is only achievable through living free from 'active' alcoholism. I no longer believe that suicide is my only way out, which was the path I walked just 14 months back. I am no longer ill, unless I am sick. I no longer have sweats, unless I am hot or working out. I am no longer an anxiety riddled mess in public.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lion,

I am getting close to two months and things are getting better. Still have all of the everyday stresses: work, bills, juggling life as a working mom...

But, my head is clear and I wake up feeling good every morning (minus being sick this week).

I have been thinking about you. What are you struggling with?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think you should take a stroll through the gratitude posts...lots of positive there:

The Gratitude List - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is fantastic to be sober! Even at this time of year when everyone is supposedly having a great time getting drunk. There's this huge sense of peace knowing that I don't have to drink. I am actually enjoying stressful situations now because I know I won't be compounding the situation by drinking. I am able to cope so much better and can really enjoy my social time because I am not worrying about how much I'm drinking. Basically it's freedom x
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Freedom.

Not a slave to thoughts/obsession and alcoHELL.

Best thing I have ever done for myself, ever.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got my life back.
I can look myself in the face in the mirror again and not be ashamed.

I feel happy for the first time in my adult life, and I like who I am.

I have my problems but I love my life and I've found peace.

I could go on for pages...but you get the idea

I know that first leap is scary - but I've never regretted it.

I used to be a prisoner, and now I'm free.

It doesn't happen overnight - but I didn't end up an alcoholic over night either.

If you're like me you drank for years...give sobriety at least 90 days to evaluate it

D
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

my life is amazing. through all i have in my story, i have learned a lot about me and experienced friendship and love i never would have if i was drunk. i have done things i would never have imagined possible. i have true friends now and my family doesnt despise me any more and im living instead of existing. the greatest thing for me, something i didnt really think possible, is that i dont want to drink!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

Ditto what doggonecarl said. And believe what you read because it's true. It's real.

Personally, my heart feels too big for my chest when I'm sober......because it's brimming with gratitude.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've just got home from a family get together and meal out. I have eaten (I never ate properly when I was drinking), and I have laughed so much.

Right now, this minute, life seems really good. I never appreciated just what I had all around me til I got sober.

Early recovery is hard, but it is worth every bit of that struggle.

I wouldn't want my old life back, not ever x
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
I have read a lot of doom and gloom from diseases to beasts I know the lingo From aa to avrt I know a lot about alcohol.

I just want to hear something positive, like how good it is to be sober or how amazing someone's life is right now because they gave up. Because otherwise what's the point......

Thanks
Freedom
Peace
Inner calm
No more sweating all over
No more pounding heart
No more letting down people because I'm too hungover
Less guilt
More meaningful conversations with others
Clearer eyes & skin
Sweeter smelling breath and no more crazy weird body odour
Much more money left at the end of the month
Weightloss
Depression lifting
Feels like there is more than 24 hours in a day AND I sleep loads
Better sleep
More effective at work (and I was pretty darn good before)
My mind is free to make plans/read/think without constantly thinking about alcohol
Happier

S x
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

No night sweats , no blood pressure running at 180/120 , no blank patches in my memory , no damp patches in the bed , no leaving the oven on burning food , the freedom to drive my car at any hour of the day and feel in control , no shaking hands ,

calm and rational decisions being made and my sence of humor is far better than it was ... i can't think why i nearly killed myself with it , other than it being a kind of madness .

I work on living each day as it happens, i don't worry overmuch and have little or no stress other than that which i put myself under .

I suppose in some ways life is a matter of perspective ,with a clear mind i expect and anticipate the up and the down now, so i can remain on an even keel .

Staying sober is the best decision i've made in my life so far .

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Lion. I won't tell you how wonderful everything is since I'm now sober simply because I still am living life. The good, the bad, the joyful and the tragic. I am present to experience all aspects of my life, and to me, that is wonderful. I will tell you that life certainly sucks less now that I am sober.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am very grateful to be sober today. After literally over prob 100 relapses I have 62 days sober today. I no longer feel a slave to alcohol and chained down by it. The guilt of going to the store for more booze each day is gone. My boss who was very close to me passed away while we were all working tues and I am so blessed to go thru it sober and feel a variety of emotions for the first time instead of numbing myself. Some days are good some bad but none as bad as a day of drinking. Oh and as others mentioned no more night sweats! That was awful!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am alive clean and well
I run in Marathons
Training to beat the one mile record in my age range
I love being alive
I have a great job
More friends than I have ever had
I have no debts
I like myself
I love myself
I accept myself and others just as they are

and I keep working at living clean and it keeps getting better (always a work in progress)

Did that help Lionhearted?

How about you look for some reasons being in or having the desire to be in recovery.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well all I can say is that somehow I got my soul back. My self respect. I still have a lot of guilt. I wish it had been different. But I can handle that- without drinking. I don't need a drink and I really don't want a drink. I don't worry each morning when i get up that I might drink that day. It doesn't occur to me. I get up in the morning and head for breakfast. I've had three dogs since I got sober. That wouldn't have happened and I'd never got to know those dogs. I've planted trees that will be here long after I'm gone. Dogs and trees. Spring will come again for me. That's something to live for.

W.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My sobriety has made absolutely every part of my life extraordinarily better!! But you have to stick it out for it to happen to you. If you do, it will!!
Hands down it is THE best decision I have EVER made.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sobriety is keeping me together in a situation that would have destroyed me in the past. I am eternally grateful daily and blessed to have a second chance when my family and I need it the most.