SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 8 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/276991-day-8-a.html)

medicatrix 12-09-2012 09:24 AM

Day 8

Tearful, emotional, overwhelmed, exhausted.

it's the post-drunk crazies, people.

I have no energy, I want to sleep but can't, I spent 150 dollars yesterday on astrology readings.

I'm not going to drink. I was crazy before I started drinking. I just hate running back into this fact again.

DAB 12-09-2012 09:27 AM

Go to AA.
AA = free therapy

medicatrix 12-09-2012 09:38 AM

I keep thinking about trying it. I'm going to go swimming first I think. That always clears my head.

TorontoGuy28 12-09-2012 09:42 AM

I agree, give AA a try ASAP.... It's where I still feel at peace, always

Dee74 12-09-2012 01:58 PM

I was crazy for a while too - but I got better :)

Stick with it medicatrix :)

D

medicatrix 12-09-2012 04:03 PM

:) Still here. It was a rough one, yesterday was too. I swam and felt a little better after that. But it came right back.

Eh. Just gotta keep walking it. At least until I get home for Christmas. I have no hope of making through that, but I do have hope of making it through the next two weeks.

pipparina 12-09-2012 04:37 PM

You are in very early recovery. Your emotions will be all over the place. AA may be a great way to calm you down. Swimming will help. Just keep busy -don't let listen to the "committee" going on in your head

nomis 12-09-2012 04:55 PM

Hi Medicatrix,

Everybody's body is different and reacts differently to early sobriety. But what you described sounds similar to what I went through. Absolute lethargy, depression and overall ickiness. For me the symptoms peaked around the ten day mark and then, slowly, over the next week or so I began to feel better in increasingly longer waves.

Going to the pool is a great idea. I started running on the treadmill everyday, not a whole lot, but enough to break a good sweat.

It does get better, just keep reminding yourself that. After this physical withdrawal, you hit the pink cloud phase, and man, that is better than any drug I've ever done in my life.

TTBABP 12-09-2012 05:10 PM

Hey Medi - hang in there. You can do it. I am sure of it.

Purplecatlover 12-09-2012 05:32 PM

Day 8 was my worst day but it got better. Don't think about 2 weeks from now or holidays.....that is overwhelming in early sobriety....Focus on putting one foot in front of the other.
Tackle those days on those days.
It is a rollercoaster & you will have super strong days & days where you feel absolutely spent in every way.
I had to take it minute by minute sometimes.
Exercise, rest, eat good, treat yourself like you have a bad flu x 100.
Your body & mind need time to heal.
Stick with it. It is worth it!!!

Delilah1 12-09-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by medicatrix (Post 3710539)
:) Still here. It was a rough one, yesterday was too. I swam and felt a little better after that. But it came right back.

Eh. Just gotta keep walking it. At least until I get home for Christmas. I have no hope of making through that, but I do have hope of making it through the next two weeks.

You will have a few more weeks under your belt then and that should help with Christmas. You can do it.

Swimming and hiking always help me clear my head too.

medicatrix 12-09-2012 06:57 PM

I can't believe this is all from not drinking. But I'm glad I know it is, because before I would have just dove for a bottle of wine thinking I had gone nuts and needed some fortification.

I also can't believe I let myself get so messed up that eight days later I'm still this unstable.

I can't believe I've been holding down a job.

Apparently this is Incredulous Day.

ACT10Npack 12-09-2012 07:01 PM

Your body is craving the alcohol and now that it's not getting it. You're going to go through a short period of anxiety, depression, withdraws and other stuff you will not like. But after sometime you will get use to it and enjoy life without it. It's worth it and you will feel 100 times better then when you were drinking.

Wastinglife 12-09-2012 11:10 PM

I am on Day 2 after a bad relapse. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm really depressed. Besides insomnia, I don't have any physical symptoms. My relapse was 4 days, so I don't think my body became dependent. The mental anguish is killing me though.