Notices

Thank you

Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you

...for having me, here.

I quit drinking 17 months ago and thought I was doing great. Lately, it's been a struggle every single day.

I'm just looking for people to talk to and feel safe with. Looking forward to meeting people and getting and giving support.
:ghug3
Flipity
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Are you in a twelve-step program? Or following any of the non-12 step recovery methods?

Sobriety can be a challenge if you are trying to do it all alone.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am not in any program. I tried AA for a few meetings and it didn't feel like a fit for me. I'm in a small town and meetings are limited. Guess maybe I need to rethink it.

The idea of a sponsor is actually appealing to me now. I'm realizing all of my friends and social contacts were centered around alcohol and having fun. My husband still goes to our neighborhood bar and socializes with his friends (my friends, too, but I haven't seen them in almost two years).

I've been pretty housebound with a difficult taper from Valium. Now that I'm free of it, the alcohol is calling again. What did I expect, I guess.

Question: what is the best way to go about finding a sponsor. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Flip
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Flipity I feel that way, especially this time of year when everyone is out having fun with alcohol. I quit drinking 4 years ago, now I am trying to quit codeine.
Feeling very alone just now
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA, but if I were looking for a sponsor I'd go to an AA meeting. When they ask if anyone is new, raise your had and introduce yourself. Tell them that you are looking for a sponsor. You will be welcomed warmly.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks RU. I found a womens group that meets today. I'll go check it out. It seems just being around warm bodies who are winning this will be helpful. I hope.

Startover- I'm sorry you feel alone. It's a lonely journey and, if you're like me, you isolate too much. Tapering any drug is brutal. You have my respect.
Hugs,
Flip
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

flipity ~ sometimes it takes a few times to click with aa (i just never did, but that's me) SR has helped me tremendously - sometimes i hang out here for hours. i've found a lot of useful information, people that are similar to me so i don't feel like i am so different and alone & also in reading other member's posts a different perspective on things sometimes.
welcome to the board. best wishes on your meeting - i hope you find a sponsor.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! I went to meetings and announced I was looking for a sponsor. I have not found the right click yet, but lots of people came up to me and gave me their phone numbers if I was interested in having them be my sponsor.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Flipity, I agree with Gypsy Heart. Have you tried Smart Recovery or AVRT? There are links to those sites here on SR.
Have you been on Valium the entire 17 months????
Keep reading and post here. You will find tons of support.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Flipity! You will find lots of support on SR. I am just about at the two month mark and this site has been my biggest support.

You will find amazing people here!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys -

I was just looking at the AVRT stuff. It's a complete new concept for me and very interesting.

I have always had a bit of a problem introducing myself as an alcoholic, as in, "hi, I'm Flip and I'm an alcoholic". This could just be denial, I know, but it seems to me we are what we call ourselves.

And yes, I was on Valium for well over 12 years, including all but the last 7 weeks of the 17 months I've been alcohol free. I tapered off a high dose over 22 months. Brutal.

I will go to that meeting this afternoon with an open mind and heart. I've isolated too long, I need people! It's like I'm just waking up and realizing this.

Thank you, gypsyheart, Junebug, Nikki and Delilah for your words and welcome.
Flip
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Flipity

D
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.

Ok, so I went to a AA meeting. I was very impressed with the courage I saw there in that all women's group. I think I'll go back even though I can't seem to meld with the whole concept of powerlessness. It was obvious these brave women are working the steps of AA. I've never done that. Maybe I should give it a try at least.

I'm also going to explore some secular approaches.

Thanks everyone!
Flip
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Flipity. Reading and posting here really helped me keep it together. Glad to have you with us.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Flipity, in my three weeks of sobriety, I have gone to seven AA meetings. Being powerless and a hopeless case and totally giving myself up to a higher power that I don't really know exists, does not sit well with me. Even as a child, I found something odd about organized religion. And I have the same uneasy feeling in AA meetings. That said, I continue to go to meetings, because I do get something out of them.
J
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
Flipity, in my three weeks of sobriety, I have gone to seven AA meetings. Being powerless and a hopeless case and totally giving myself up to a higher power that I don't really know exists, does not sit well with me. Even as a child, I found something odd about organized religion. And I have the same uneasy feeling in AA meetings. That said, I continue to go to meetings, because I do get something out of them.
J
I'm not in AA, but I do know that you don't have to believe in any God to be a member.

I've read that the HP could be absolutely anything...just so long as it works for the member.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn, Junebug and Xune,

I know millions of people can't be wrong when it comes to AA. I'm guessing half of the people in that room yesterday have doubts similar to mine and they come together just for the beauty of having a fellow traveler.

There seemed to be two camps - the long term sobriety of over a year and sometimes many years, and the ones just starting out and trying to get a few days behind them. I noticed the compassion in the eyes of the long termers toward the new arrivals. There's nothing like experience and success to make one hopeful that this is possible.

Can someone tell me the next logical place to start posting? Are there blogs? Haven't negotiated around very well, yet.

Thanks,
Flip
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's hard to say, Flip. I'd just say to scan all the forums here, click on posts that interest you and read everything you can. There is an AA section here, but I am thinking that since you are considering a sponsor, it might be better to find one at a meeting.

I have announced at meetings that I am looking for a sponsor. People interested in sponsoring me have given me their phone numbers, but I have not called anyone yet. It's kind of tough for you because there are not a lot of meetings where you live.

I have been trying a lot of different meetings to find one I liked enough to call my home group. It has not happened yet. But on Sunday nights, there are a few that are held in candlelight. Something about the candle light intimacy really helped me relax and be much more comfortable. I am actually looking forward to going to one of these candle light AA meetings tonight.