Notices

I hate alcohol

Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate alcohol

I hate what drink has done to my life.
I hate how alcohol made me, makes me feel.

I took some cough mixture last night.
Had some alcohol in it as today I feel a quivering wreck. I feel confused, paranoid, the feelings of shame have surfaced even though I was ill and took medicine and did not drink.
I feel fearful like something bad is going to happen.
I just want to hide.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Sorry you are feeling down, Sasha. Alcohol can definitely bring up unjustified feelings of remorse, guilt, and shame.

What are you doing as far as a recovery program?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

alcohol causes anxiety, even if it was a small dose in your medicine. I won't use any medicine, mouthwash, etc that contains any alcohol for fear of what it may trigger.

Just remember, it will all be ok. You're feeling like something bad may happen, but take breathe deep, and tell yourself you will be ok. Say it over and over until you feel calm.

As Fernaceman asked, what are you doing to help your recovery?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sounds like a genuine mistake to me , what is your intention with respect to your sobriety ?

I think i'd not buy that cough mixture again and look for something alcohol free

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sasha, sorry you are feeling rough.

All will be ok. As you are taking medication you must be feeling out of sorts with a cough too, and that will drag you down.

Wrap up warmly and try to get some sleep. Nothing bad is going to happen. All will be ok xxx
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I absolutely love alcohol. So so so much. I love alcohol and drugs. But they don't love me.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a different spin. I chose to drink, chose to abuse alcohol and now am in a situation where I cannot drink anymore.

I hold no ill will against booze, as we simply are better off apart.

As far as the extreme physical symptoms you're having from having taken a prescribed amount of medicine that contains alcohol.

In my opinion, there is not anywhere near enough alcohol in a prescribed amount of over the counter medicine to cause any physical symptoms of withdrawl.

I would lean towards a psycho somatic reaction rather than physical.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
In my opinion, there is not anywhere near enough alcohol in a prescribed amount of over the counter medicine to cause any physical symptoms of withdrawl.

I would lean towards a psycho somatic reaction rather than physical.
I agree. Not saying you're withdrawl isn't real, but I doubt it's physical unless you drank the cough medicine. Either way, it will pass, and if I were in your shoes I'd be very cautious about my attitude towards my feelings regarding it. I truly believe that alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful... and what you describe could be a set up. My alcoholic mind could easily twist what you said into lots of destructive stuff. "This is pointless, my body can't even handle 2 teaspoons of cough medicine, I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about it." Or, "Ya know what, I had all the guilt, remorse and physical sympoms as if I drank... I'm not wasting this. Might as well drink and just start over again tomorrow." Or, "Cough medicine without alcohol isn't going to work, going to keep taking this anyway cuz I need it....," and follow up with a nice downward spiral. There are a number of "poor me, poor me, pour me" situations I'd be able to make of this for myself, if I wanted.

The feelings you're having will definitely pass. Would be good for you to consider it something you learned you best not do again. Beating yourself up over it is pointless as you've actually done nothing wrong. Riding through these feelings is growth also. It's practice in riding out all the rest of the inevitable feelings that will come up living a sober life. Many of them are good ones too. Most of us don't even have a clue what it is to feel anything. And it takes some time to learn how to manage what comes up.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hate alcohol too. There are all the physical symptoms of course but one reason I decided to quit was that I couldn't even stomach the thought of another drink last weekend. It's so gross, it doesn't even taste good. It's a poisonous chemical and that's exactly what it tastes like.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So the question is, do you hate it enough to do something about it?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh with regards to drinking it will be 300 days tomorrow since I have had a drink.
I have no intention of drinking again.
The cough medicine and how it made me feel just caught me a bit off guard to be honest.
I am 100% sure it is not all the cough medicine that caused these feelings, probably lots of things.

But...I still hate alcohol and all the trouble and misery it brings.
I suppose what I was trying to say was that once alcohol has made an imprint on your mind, it's hard to forget what happen.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Seems like alcohol for me is a lover who betrays me over & over again. I'm still hoping someday to fall out of love, and in the meantime I'm trying to teach myself to hate, or at least to resist the call of it. Some days it's really hard.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Oh with regards to drinking it will be 300 days tomorrow since I have had a drink.
I have no intention of drinking again.
The cough medicine and how it made me feel just caught me a bit off guard to be honest.
I am 100% sure it is not all the cough medicine that caused these feelings, probably lots of things.

But...I still hate alcohol and all the trouble and misery it brings.
I suppose what I was trying to say was that once alcohol has made an imprint on your mind, it's hard to forget what happen.
Got it. Sounds like you're feeling better too. Some people hate alcohol, some love it, some respect it. I feel all 3 at different times. The only thing that really matters for people such as ourselves is that we stay away from it. Congratulations on the 300 days.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry you have been sick, I hope you are feeling better today!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon Sasha - and invest in some non alcoholic cough mixture

D