Notices

Phantom Drinking Limb

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phantom Drinking Limb

I decided I want to get sober, and I know that nobody said it was easy. This is the first Friday sober in so long that I can't even remember when the last time was that I didn't drink on a Friday night, probably a long time ago, and purely out of some responsibility that prevented me from drinking. Since getting out of work, I have already made dinner, taken a long walk, bought a new book, went to the coffee shop and had a cup of tea and came home with fresh ground coffee to drink in the morning.

But all night I have been feeling very tense. I took a long hot shower to try and relax, but I am still on the edge of my seat with anxiety. While I am sitting here, trying to read, I keep having vivid almost hallucinations of myself picking up a beer and drinking it. Probably because any other Friday night I would be at least a six pack deep right now, and it almost seems like a reflex and then I look down and realize I am not drinking. I even reached once or twice for where a beer would normally be unwittingly.

I don't know, I guess there is no point in this, other than to vent...I am determined to make it through the entire weekend without a drink, and I feel Monday morning will be a big milestone for me. And I am trying to look forward to that and relax, but it is hard...
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Virg - a little ealrier tonight I posted on another thread that all I could think of was how much I wanted a glass of red wine! I could almost taste the Chianti. We understand how hard it is. Just keep trying - it must get easier. I'm going to go make my 3rd cup of tea for the evening.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking, I would just keep putting off the drink for short periods of time, like an hour, sometimes that's all I could do. But, it helped. Just take it easy, try to let the thought slide by, not dwell on it. There are a bunch of good threads here to read, helps take the edge off. Take care.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Virg - a little ealrier tonight I posted on another thread that all I could think of was how much I wanted a glass of red wine! I could almost taste the Chianti. We understand how hard it is. Just keep trying - it must get easier. I'm going to go make my 3rd cup of tea for the evening.
Yes, I think it will get easier. I realized tonight how impatient I am with everything. I want everything to speed up and be completed without having to patiently follow through. ANd I realize this is a problem with me, and probably part of the reason I drink in the first place, because it is compulsive and instantly effective.

Thanks for being around and commenting
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

put water in a cup and place in fridge. walk to fridge and take a sip every once in a while, it will help you with the former behavior of getting a beer and lifting it up....

graduate to a cup of water next to you....
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there, Virg - it won't always be this way!

I'd forgotten, until you mentioned it just now, about reaching over automatically for my drink (and expecting a wine glass) when I first got sober. When we're drinking, it really does get more and more compulsive as we go - I hardly had to think about drinking and I was digging in my purse for car keys.

Remember all those thoughts are just that: thoughts. They don't die out right away, but each time you don't act on one, it gets a little weaker. Something to try when you get anxious: focus on your breathing, and take a dozen slow and steady breaths. Just keep pulling your mind back to the moment and your breath. It really helps.....
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Virg,

The first two or three Fridays were the hardest for me, it is getting easier, and you will feel amazing on Monday, and will be proud of yourself.