Notices

new here

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face new here

Hey everyone! I'm Lisa and i'm new to this site. I'm not in recovery, well, i kind of am. I'm in al anon. I'm just having a tough time right now because i just got broken up with again (for the third) time today by my ex who is an alcoholic. Everything was going great until everyone at his meeting told him he shouldn't be with me until he has at least a year. I get it, i really do, i guess i just want some advice from anyone has been through a similar situation. We have been with each other on and off for a year now. So, any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Do you mean that people told your boyfriend he should break up with you until he has been sober for a year? I'm not an AA person, but I don't think AA members encourage you to break up a relationship until you are sober. I'm glad you found us and it's good that you're using AlAnon as a support for yourself.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((lisa)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Lisa!

From my experience with AA, it's suggested that when we're new in recovery it's better not to make any major changes in the first year. That usually means a new relationship, not that we should break off an existing one.

I don't know what advice to give you, but we do have a forum for Friends/Family of Alcoholics you might want to check out. Lots of support there as well!
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa & Welcome. I echo what the others have said. Your BF should not make any significant changes while he's getting sober. I go to AA meetings and they advise you shouldn't get into a relationship until you have 1 year and akso shouldn't get involved with anyone else in the rooms.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Try the F&F boards as Artsoul suggests.

S x