Notices

I am a bit confused

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a bit confused

I really feel SR has helped me. When I joined I assumed Sober Recovery was for those seeking assistance/help/support with abstinence.

As a welcoming sober community, I understand some are only considering if they have an addiction problem. One could read and come to the conclusion to become abstinent or not. No judgement. Should those who choose to practice moderation prior to abstinence and document their journey do it on the threads, blogs or not at all?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Giving a daily update of how great it's going while enjoying alcohol while successfully moderating consumption is;

Dangerous for those in early remission or who are vulnerable for relapse.

The science is conclusive...the vast majority of those addicted to booze do not succeed at moderation.

Sober recovery...not ' I'm so looking forward to enjoying a nice glass of wine' recovery.

Alcohol, if I drink it, will destroy me.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The SR community has been a great help to me becoming sober. As the name states, we are a sober community. I think that many of us have tried the moderation thing and have failed a time or two. I do not want to hear about trying to moderate their drinking when I, and many of us, cannot do that. I choose not to read or reply to posts that discuss someone who is considering moderation. I don't believe that alcoholics can moderate and as you stated this is a site for those who need help with absitinence. I think I know the post that you are referring to when you bring up this topic. Do you want to hear about someone who is thoroughly planning and discussing how they are going to drink on a regular basis? I sure don't but that is just me.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Xune is right on.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think it would be best to keep it off the forum, but I don't see anything wrong with posting about it in your blog.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I've read 'em. Those people end up with DUI's or other consequences prior to staying stopped. It's progressive....
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, the site is called SoberRecovery! If moderation worked most of us wouldn't be here. Great if it works for you but it doesn't work for most people that have a problem.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is our Rule:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

SoberRecovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions, and help for family and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's addiction.

Some people arrive here drinking or using. That's a fact.
SR without those peeps is pretty pointless I think.

I was still not 100% sober when I arrived here - but I bless the day I did.

The part of me that did want to quit found support understanding and encouragement here.

I'd hate for that to change.

As Anna said above...there is a line of appropriate behavior - I hope you trust me and Anna to see that line is held.

I know people actively drinking or using can be scary for some of us - but we all have a personal responsibility.

If a thread triggers you or upsets you - don't read it.

If a persons posts unsettle you, use the ignore option.

This is the Newcomers forum forpetessake - let's not make people feel unwelcome.

D
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never intended to make anyone feel unwelcome, just had thoughts I felt like sharing. No judgement was or has ever been intended on my part. The disease is a killer IMO. I was just saying what I was thinking. Perhaps I should think more carefully prior to posting certain thoughts. Those words stung.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bloss, you asked a great question and it started a wonderfully open discussion.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but judging by the tone of all the posters in this thread, everyone was doing exactly what you were doing...saying what they were thinking.

Thanks for creating this thread and the various answers has shed some light on the very question you asked!

Good job.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, and I suspect many others, failed attempts at moderation are necessary steps towards abstinence. I don't recall if it was through failed attempts at moderating that I realized I am an alcoholic, or if failed attempts led to accepting abstinence as the only way. I think in my case it was the latter, because I've been aware that I'm an alcoholic for sometime now, but either way I think it's likely a necessary step in revealing denial.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

so, this makes me think...should i not be here/post here? i know i need to quit. so, i know i'm an alcoholic. i keep my posts under alcoholism...is that promoting the use of alcohol/drugs?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
but either way I think it's likely a necessary step in revealing denial.
You raise a good point, but I suspect there is another side to that coin...

'...if I only try harder this time and stick to my rules, I know I can do it!'