Notices

Exercise

Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Exercise

Today I'm at 34 days sober and I have a question about exercise and recovery. In my previous job I was a personal trainer for 7 years and taught group exercise classes which worked well for me being the codependent alcoholic that I am.

Last year while being sober on and off I recommitted to my own exercise program and lost 20lbs of alcohol weight and got back on my bike and trained to do some long distance rides. I accomplished one of my goals to complete a double century (200 miles) in a day on my bike in July 2012. I worked on eating healthy and I'm good about taking supplements and that and I have really struggled with being healthy now that I'm sober.

Now that I'm honestly working on being sober and attending school while on unemployment post job loss in June of 2012, I'm finding it really hard to exercise. I love to go to spin classes and do strength training and intellectually I'm know it would be great for me on multiple levels, however I can't get motivated to go workout.

I truly love to ride my bike (ask anyone who knows me and I talk about bikes and riding all the time to anyone who will listenand I attract other bike riders as well no matter where I go) and would like to do some racing next year (which I have never done) however I need to get motivated to do my base training now in order to be able to do this.

Has anyone else experienced this or can you relate?

I welcome any and all experiences and suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Things come and things go. As long as sobriety is in the forefront everything will work out as it should.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What about NOT setting big goals for yourself?

Just aim to jog or spin for 30 minutes, five days a week?

Then, as your mind and body responds...you can add to it.